Surgical nurses are responsible for providing care to patients before, during and after surgery. Their duties include preparing patients for surgery, arranging the operation room, passing medical instruments to the surgeon during an operation, providing nurse care to patients, assisting patients with recovery and developing a care plan for patients.
For many, writing a resume can be daunting. If you are working on your own, it is easy to become overwhelmed with the amount of information you need to include and how best to present yourself.
The sample resumes below provide great examples of how to write an effective resume.
The Best Surgical Nurse Resume Samples
These are some examples of accomplishments we have handpicked from real Surgical Nurse resumes for your reference.
Surgical Nurse Resume Sample 1
- Assisted surgeons and anesthesiologists with procedures that included orthopedic and cardiac surgery.
- Expertly assisted surgical team members in preparing operating rooms, sterilizing instruments, administering medications during surgical procedures.
- Patiently coached physicians throughout thoracic surgeries by explaining medical activities as they were performed; earned appreciation as a valued member of care teams for multiple patients.
- Valued employee who successfully met quality performance standards; recognized by unit managers and administrators for outstanding work ethic and commitment to safety protocols.
- Promoted to Clinical Nurse Leader for leading nursing staff toward improved patient outcomes and satisfaction scores; transformed high-performance nursing organization into a successful result-oriented unit within the hospital.
Surgical Nurse Resume Sample 2
- Trained other nurses, licensed practical nurses and nursing students on preoperative and postoperative care of surgical patients.
- Prepared patients for surgery by establishing IV lines, collecting necessary medical history information, arranging equipment, supplies and medications.
- Entered patient’s office records into EMR system including pertinent information required for general anesthesia , monitored vital signs during case, injected medication as ordered.
- Attended lectures to keep up with the latest developments in the medical field or specific procedure being performed in that department.
- Responded quickly during an emergency situation involving cardiac arrest with a team of two others; applied trauma protocols to stabilize victim under respiratory guidance until paramedics arrived.
Surgical Nurse Resume Sample 3
- Team member on medical team that rescued a woman with severe head trauma.
- Surgical nurse who worked closely with surgeons to ensure safe, successful surgeries while maintaining patient records, inventory and surgical supplies.
- Incorporated methods of balancing discipline and compassion in pursuit of professional goals, including earning three National Board Certification designations by the American Nurses Credentialing Center.
- Met goals of all-around excellent performance yearly; awarded for being an outstanding surgical team member who has great skills monitoring patients during surgery.
- Developed comprehensive therapeutic care plan for severely ill child that included emergency response plus acute, chronic and end of life phases using exceptional people skills.
Surgical Nurse Resume Sample 4
- Received a Quality Commendation for compassionate and professional treatment of a patient who needed emergent surgical intervention.
- Volunteered to assist the surgical nursing supervisor with patients admitted through post-surgical recovery.
- Edited programs at four major teaching hospitals, resulting in one award from surgeons for code infraction elimination.
- Initiated an innovative bedside procedure for alleviation of pain, which was subsequently adopted as hospital policy for all catheterized patients undergoing MRI scan procedures.
- Proved outstanding teamwork during natural disasters by providing care to victims suffering from both acute and chronic medical conditions.
Surgical Nurse Resume Sample 5
- Identified patient needs and provided information in a professional and timely manner; guided patients through their surgical experience.
- Acted as student advocate, providing support and guidance throughout the nursing program for up to 30 new students each semester.
- Provided clinical leadership in oncology ward by visiting with patients and assisting them in their care.
- Promoted health education during four years of volunteer service with American Cancer Society’s Relay For Life community event.
- Utilized medical terminology to communicate with physicians and collaborate on patient care; prepared medications for pre-surgery patients using appropriate technique (for 5 years).
Surgical Nurse Resume Sample 6
- Provided each patient with appropriate care and comfort.
- Acted as a professional role model by setting the highest standards for practice, educating patients and visitors about infection control measures, and participating in adhering to the hospital’s philosophy of “Caring”.
- Presented educational programs to diverse groups of colleagues within hospital that have improved several practice techniques.
- Demonstrated personal growth through increased knowledge of cardiovascular disease, health promotion needs of special populations, evidence-based nursing practices, leadership strategies, self-assessment skills , conflict management strategies, teaching skills.
- Achieved 85% positive survey results from patients having undergone surgical procedures under my care.
Surgical Nurse Resume Sample 7
- Provided expert nursing care in the recovery room for a total of five surgical cases.
- Aided the physicians’ team by gathering pre-operative and post-operative information from patients, filing medical records, assisting patient transfers to operating room, and preparing equipment as directed.
- Restored order and comfort to a sobbing relative at relative’s first visit with an Alzheimer’s disease sufferer after exhibiting exceptional patience and empathy during conversation with elderly woman.
- Mentored two new surgical nurses on proper protocols as directed during surgery complications.
- Attended required seminars that provided knowledge regarding evolving practices within professional healthcare environment; seminar topics included sedation guidelines, CPR class certification, “Difficult Dialogues” patient rights class, HIPAA compliance, and nurse/physician relations.
Surgical Nurse Resume Sample 8
- Supported the operating room staff by preparing and maintaining surgical instruments and equipment.
- Facilitated recovery of patients following surgery by providing comfort measures, administering medications, and monitoring recovery progress.
- Monitored patient care delivery through direct observation of clinical practices to ensure adherence to accreditation standards and regulatory oversight, such as Joint Commission.
- Monitored and maintained medication workflow for surgical patients according to State Board of Pharmacy guidelines.
- Accomplished 100% on 30-day antibiotic review; received award from Regional Director for strong performance after multiple audits.
Surgical Nurse Resume Sample 9
- Managed surgical, medical and follow-up care for patients with high acuity.
- Performed diagnostic and therapeutic nursing services with emphasis on positive outcomes and minimal complications.
- Collaborated with physicians and surgeons to plan procedures and treatments with the patient’s interest as a primary concern.
- Encouraged, taught, supported, communicated, advocated, comforted and encouraged family members of post-operative patients through the healing process throughout their hospitalization.
- Performed additional training requirements such as Ambulatory Care Nursing Certification (ACNC), geriatric certification (AGEC) and diabetes Certified Emergency Nurse (CEN).
Surgical Nurse Resume Sample 10
- Expanded clinical knowledge, interpersonal relations, and patient care by performing various duties in the operating room.
- Collaborated with surgical team to determine best course of treatment prior to surgery for pre-op patients.
- Developed a smooth working relationship with surgeons and anesthesiologists while serving as a vital link between patients and their doctors.
- Trained new employees on proper sterilization techniques, safety protocols, office policies, and department procedures.
- Assisted in organizing information about flu shot availability at local pharmacies; created informational document for distribution to staff members via email.
Surgical Nurse Resume Sample 11
- Provided injection and blood drawing services under the supervision of physicians, registered nurses, or technicians.
- Performed venipunctures, intravenous catheter placement, and suturing according to established guidelines and protocols.
- Cultivated a supportive attitude for colleagues and patients by providing construction-site counseling and prayer support.
- Advised patients on their medications; ensured that prescriptions were recorded accurately in computerized record system.
- Presided over community forum which addressed health issues such as sexual transmitted diseases (STD’s) and contraception options; composed informational pamphlets as needed.
To become a surgical nurse, you require an associate’s degree in nursing and pass the National Council Licensure Examination-Registered Nurse (NCLE-RN) examination. Surgical nurses must demonstrate empathy, good communication skills, patience, teamwork, listening skills, ability to stay calm under pressure and critical thinking skills.
Resumes are a crucial aspect of any job search. In order to make a good first impression, it is important that your resume be formatted and written professionally. To create the perfect resume, think about what skills and qualities you want your future employer to see.
Hope these samples gave you an idea of what your resume should look like and some tips on how to make sure that your resume stands out from the rest.