Staff Writers provide media content in the form of new reports, reviews, and features. Their duties include researching topics and news leads, writing and editing journalistic posts, gathering and analyzing data, interviewing sources and witnesses, establishing contacts, and maintaining strong working relationships with sources.
For many, writing a resume can be daunting. If you are working on your own, it is easy to become overwhelmed with the amount of information you need to include and how best to present yourself.
The sample resumes below provide great examples of how to write an effective resume.
The Best Staff Writer Resume Samples
These are some examples of accomplishments we have handpicked from real Staff Writer resumes for your reference.
Staff Writer Resume Sample 1
- Served as a staff writer, assistant art director for a bi-weekly magazine.
- Collaborated to produce and design the magazine and distribute it to subscribers via mail and at local newsstands.
- Edited and optimized existing content on web page, increasing site traffic by 9%.
- Authored two articles – one on health care law and its effect on patients; another concerning technology’s problem with PRISM surveillance program – that garnered page views of over 7000 each (the average is 1000).
- Spearheaded the idea that developed into publication of an e-book entitled How To Make The Right Career Decision For You! , which was downloaded over 500 times in first three months of release.
Staff Writer Resume Sample 2
- Contributed 8 articles to quarterly publication; reached over 100,000 subscribers.
- Earned three Accolades for excellence in writing and reporting from the Association of Healthcare Journalists (AHCJ), including an award for Best Explanatory Reporting; nominated by AHCJ’s Communications Committee.
- Developed series of five interviews with top physicians, which were shared on the hospital website and social media platforms.
- Secured publication in a peer-reviewed journal and coordinated manuscript edits with multiple parties to achieve final approval of submission.
- Edited copy while developing engaging story angles that spotlighted exciting milestones while highlighting patient safety and satisfaction practices.
Staff Writer Resume Sample 3
- Created over thirty articles for online publication as a Staff Writer.
- Managed social media presence, Twitter account, and Facebook page as a Staff Writer.
- Collaborated with professional writing team to produce the best possible content within deadline constraints; recognized by Regional Manager for outstanding performance in editing.
- Won prestigious Silver Quill Award for journalism excellence; Articles were noted for their stylish flair, tasteful humor, and velvety descriptiveness (n/a). Also received honorable mentions in several categories of competition.
- Gained an overall readership increase of 25%; successfully spearheaded campaign to connect with audience through use of current events and relevant topics.
Staff Writer Resume Sample 4
- Developed comprehensive, innovative concepts for targeted audiences including children, teenagers, young adults, and families.
- Propelled interest in exciting new projects through effective press releases that efficiently reached customer-base.
- Implemented sales strategies that increased product awareness by over 40% during the first year.
- Collaborated with customers to write articles on current events, products, and services; occasionally conducted interviews to gather information about specific topics.
- Promoted local businesses through positive media coverage; won appreciation of readership after writing positive article featuring their company or business.
Staff Writer Resume Sample 5
- Produced more than 40 articles as a staff writer, some as front-page stories.
- Awarded the Susan Geringer Gold Medal for excellence in writing from Brigham Young University.
- Wrote an article on the influence of social media that was published by the Mormon Women Project and re-published by Religion News Service .
- Sold a feature story to Utah Valley Magazine about human trafficking in Utah .
- Authored three books on writing and self-publishing. I self-published four books on Amazon.com.
Staff Writer Resume Sample 6
- Updated and wrote new content for the newspaper’s weekly health column on an assigned topic that ranged from science to medical advancements.
- Wrote article, researched facts, and edited copy for six-page legal supplement; final product featured in newspapers more than 500,000 readers across state.
- Collaborated with graphic designer on cover design of magazine issue; finalized approval of photo layout within 2 hours during brainstorming session with editor.
- Selected as one of ten interns out of 100 who took part in annual social media initiative; gained valuable work experience while writing posts and updates daily about dairy farm business.
- Volunteered at local elementary school’s First Grade Career Day; delegated tasks allowing students to interview each station presenter about their work.
Staff Writer Resume Sample 7
- Managed and coordinated with copy editors to keep layout accurate and up-to-date.
- Authored 350 word article on tactical flashlights for insertion into the Associated Press wire feed.
- Researched, wrote, edited, and published 100+ page special supplement covering five national career days in New York City area schools.
- Gathered information from various sources for weekly edition of school newsletter revision; averaged 20% increase in readership after my first year with the company.
- Documented and organized handwritten notes from interviews with politicians, businesses owners, non-profits agencies, government officials, and community leaders over a two week period across borders in three states totaling 22 pages.
Staff Writer Resume Sample 8
- Experienced in informal and formal writing for Web, print, video, and audio.
- Collaborated with team to determine focus of article; recorded notes during interviews; wrote article draft; submitted for review.
- Successfully planned and executed coverage plan; managed social media accounts with an average of 5-10 posts/day; wrote blog articles on current events.
- Authored stories about education news to be printed in English language newspapers for students learning the language as a second language.
- Responsible for conducting research on assigned topics or topics of specific interest resulting in well-written articles up to 800 words.
Staff Writer Resume Sample 9
- Wrote and edited pieces that were published in the newspaper and blogged on a daily basis.
- Elaborated on topics such as sports, entertainment, culture, and relationships through interviews with experts.
- Collaborated with over 25 other staff writers to curate content for each issue of the weekly paper.
- Responsible for news stories about events which brought the entire community together.
- Diverse portfolio includes short stories, features, personal essays, book/movie reviews, travelogues and human interest pieces.
Staff Writer Resume Sample 10
- Authored a weekly column on national security issues published in nationally-circulated newspaper.
- Risked life and limb to report from war zone, leading coverage of international events for major U.S.-based newspaper.
- Recognized by an Emmy Award for scriptwriting with team of video journalists in the coverage of live news event from Washington, DC.
- Authored over 100 articles on wide range topics including finance, business, politics, lifestyle, and human interest for major magazines and newspapers under pen name.
- Riveted readers’ attention and won two consecutive awards for feature writing; captured essence of events through storytelling technique integrating emotive language with insightful analysis to produce articles with powerful punch.
Staff Writer Resume Sample 11
- Authored daily news articles about national, state, and local events.
- Edited the English version of an online bilingual newspaper to enhance clarity by peppering it with additional detail.
- Contributed 20+ articles for publication in newspapers, magazines, newsletters.
- Provided insight by analyzing the competition’s coverage of major events in order to strengthen our news content.
- Promoted articles by engaging public figures for radio and TV interviews, ensuring national exposure.
To work as a Staff Writer, you must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, or a similar field and have a portfolio of published articles. Staff Writers should demonstrate great attention to detail, a desire to follow news and current events, basic computer proficiency, research and analytical abilities, excellent writing skills, ability to meet tight deadlines.
Resumes are a crucial aspect of any job search. In order to make a good first impression, it is important that your resume be formatted and written professionally. To create the perfect resume, think about what skills and qualities you want your future employer to see.
Hope these samples gave you an idea of what your resume should look like and some tips on how to make sure that your resume stands out from the rest.