Psychiatric technicians provide daily physical and emotional care for mentally ill patients. Their duties include administering medications, helping with personal hygiene, participating in treatment and rehabilitation programs, taking patients’ temperature and blood pressure, monitoring patients’ behavior and well-being, physically or verbally restraining patients if necessary, and reporting any concerns to medical staff.
To work as a psychiatric technician, you must complete a certification program at a community college or technical school, or be certified by the American Association of Psychiatric Technicians. Some states require you to also be licensed, which involves completing an accredited technician program, passing an exam, and paying a licensing fee. Psychiatric technicians must be extremely patient, want to help people, be good listeners, be clear communicators, be observant, have documenting ability, be able to spend long periods of time on their feet, and physical strength may be needed occasionally to be successful.
For many people, writing a resume can be daunting. If you are working on your own, it is easy to become overwhelmed with the amount of information you need to include and how best to present yourself.
The sample resumes below provide great examples of how to write an effective resume.
The Best Psychiatric Technician Resume Samples
These are some examples of accomplishments we have handpicked from real Psychiatric Technician resumes for your reference.
Psychiatric Technician Resume Sample 1
- Received certification from the National Alliance of Mental Illness (NAMI) as a Peer Supporter.
- Recognized for excellence in providing support and assistance to caregivers, family members, and individuals with mental illness.
- Provided patient teaching and discharged orientation with staff and families at psychiatric center.
- Facilitated restoration of independence through community reintegration program with adult patients diagnosed with schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder.
- Recognized for excellence in providing support and assistance to persons living with mental illness or experiencing crisis after completing 40 hours of training.
Psychiatric Technician Resume Sample 2
- Provided emotional support by consulting with patients and families.
- Participated in weekly seminars for learning new applications for care planning.
- Supported patient’s medical treatment plan through offering insight into concerns; recognized as valuable team player.
- Aided psychiatrist and nurse staff by maintaining accurate records and files, updating charts, and tracking lab results.
- Received high performance rating during annual review; offered support to colleagues during time of family crisis.
Psychiatric Technician Resume Sample 3
- Successfully applied knowledge of psychiatric medications and therapies in caring for adult patients.
- Gained extensive experience working with a wide range of medical treatments under the supervision of licensed psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers, and nurses.
- Effectively administered a broad spectrum of psychiatric care to an acutely ill population while adhering to specific protocols and guidelines.
- Accomplished work in a patient-centered environment through professional communication and critical thinking skills.
- Demonstrated ability to interact professionally with associates from all walks of life during community participation projects such as homeless outreach initiatives and crisis management response team training exercises .
Psychiatric Technician Resume Sample 4
- Provided psychiatric support to patients in an outpatient setting.
- Recognized for effective team-building skills and initiative during a series of workplace emergencies.
- Earned the Employee-of-the-Month award by taking all appropriate precautions, especially after receiving a bomb threat.
- Achieved compliance with all State guidelines by following proper procedures during stressful situations.
- Streamlined processes for filing patient information through the use of customer relationship management software.
Psychiatric Technician Resume Sample 5
- Effectively contributed to overall patient satisfaction by developing positive rapport with patients.
- Maintained a high level of confidentiality as required by HIPAA guidelines.
- Assisted in the management of psychiatric crisis as it related to symptomology, medications, and behavior management skills.
- Responded efficiently during emergency situations including suicide attempts and violent outbursts; defused volatile situations through active listening techniques; voluntarily acted as support for suicidal patients even after shift’s end.
- Volunteered hours performing charitable work at homeless shelter; inspired others to serve through compassionate attitude and leadership skills.
Psychiatric Technician Resume Sample 6
- Admitted a patient, obtained a psychosocial history, and facilitated psychiatric treatment for a male patient on the 2nd day of employment.
- Provided nursing care to over 60 patients with acute conditions in the hospital setting.
- Provided therapeutic communication by consistently providing empathetic listening as well as comfort/companionship during difficult times.
- Promoted positive staff morale through volunteer work with Movember Foundation; organized fun activities, including chili cook-off and trivia night for employees across departments.
- Volunteered at youth group home where I gained experience working with children from troubled homes and those affected by mental illness or family dysfunction.
Psychiatric Technician Resume Sample 7
- Provided services to patients in need with rapid response during crisis situations, earning recognition by Director of Nursing Services.
- Aided psychiatrists in evaluations and therapy for cases including depression, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, anxiety disorders, panic disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, phobias, etc.
- Trained new employees on administrative procedures.
- Promoted teamwork by coordinating Crisis Team conferences which promoted patient safety while reflecting positive outcomes in customer relations.
- Assisted with admissions process when necessary; ensuring potential patients received the best possible care prior to being admitted into program.
Psychiatric Technician Resume Sample 8
- Administered rounds for clinic of 23 patients, prepared assessment packets, and ensured confidentiality/adherence to HIPAA guidelines.
- Promoted wellness by enforcing therapeutic boundaries and encouraging positive lifestyle choices.
- Presented multi-disciplinary case review with team members at quarterly grand rounds; recognized as a vital part of the clinical team.
- Recognized as a dependable employee after receiving multiple recognitions from nursing staff for going above and beyond on numerous occasions.
- Provided comprehensive, holistic care to adult psychiatric inpatients using evidence based practices; saved one patient’s life by administering CPR after witnessed collapse.
Psychiatric Technician Resume Sample 9
- Performed EKGs, took blood pressures, and administered glucose tests to patients.
- Maintained patient confidentiality during any discussion between a patient and staff members or family member.
- Acted as liaison with patient’s family members when necessary; sensitively handled a range of issues including finances, insurance coverage, housing arrangements, discharge planning, etc.
- Consoled patients in crisis by listening attentively and offering support to make them feel better about their situation.
- Provided comfort and recompense for patients suffering from chronic pain through administration of medications.
Psychiatric Technician Resume Sample 10
- Responded to emergency crisis situations and informed staff and other appropriate personnel.
- Provided direct patient care while maintaining assigned unit; responded to calls for assistance; documented all required information according to hospital policy and procedure manuals.
- Prepared, administered, and recorded medications or other treatments correctly according to authorized physician’s orders.
- Acted as a role model in providing emotional support, demonstrating empathy, and promoting positive interactions with patients.
- Received appreciation from both patients and staff for dedication, reliability, expertise in areas of work, creativity/resourcefulness in problem solving, loyalty/dedication to the department goals.
Psychiatric Technician Resume Sample 11
- Trained on psychiatric evaluation procedures for children, adults, and geriatric patients.
- Learned three forms of behavior therapy to assist with developing positive mental health.
- Provided emotional support during crisis situations involving depression, substance abuse, psychosis or memory loss.
- Maintained hospital records for confidentiality purposes only by following HIPPA guidelines regarding patient privacy.
- Realized benefits of working as a team member by engaging in interdisciplinary collaborations with social workers, recreation therapists, occupational therapists and other healthcare professionals.
Psychiatric Technician Resume Sample 12
- Composed comprehensive, concise notes in Microsoft Word and Excel at the conclusion of every session.
- Assisted with personal care; prepared meals for patient’s family, kept rooms clean and tidy.
- Extracted confidential information during patient intake sessions; reviewed files with physicians upon request to determine appropriate assessments and medication plans.
- Evaluated risks associated with various medications; performed basic physical examinations before physician requested them. Prescribed certain medications based on diagnosis after evaluating potential results against risks discussed with patient.
- Collaborated with facility staff to resolve differences among patients while maintaining peace within other departments.
Psychiatric Technician Resume Sample 13
- Provided therapy for children and adults with psychiatric disorders, psychological problems, disabilities, drugs/alcohol dependency.
- Promoted social awareness in developing understanding of mental health concerns within the community through educational activities.
- Evaluated individual behavioral interventions to recommend appropriate treatment methods.
- Prescribed medication regimens using computer system under medical director’s supervision.
- Diagnosed emotional disorders by gathering data from patient reports, clinical observations, chart reviews, and an initial interview.
Resumes are a crucial aspect of any job search. In order to make a good first impression, it is important that your resume be formatted and written professionally. To create the perfect resume, think about what skills and qualities you want your future employer to see.
Hope these samples gave you an idea of what your resume should look like and some tips on how to make sure that your resume stands out from the rest.