Professional Engineers are not only skilled in engineering but also capable of supervising the work of other team members. They may be responsible for reviewing designs, presenting proposals, and developing optimal solutions to problems. It is important for these professionals to collaborate with other employees, but the top skills needed include teamwork, customer service, problem-solving, communication, and equipment maintenance. Requirements for this position include an engineering degree (typically a bachelor’s or master’s degree), state licensure, and several years of relevant work experience.
The Best Professional Engineer Resume Samples
These are some examples of accomplishments we have handpicked from real Professional Engineer resumes for your reference.
- Prepared plans for numerous commercial developments & industrial projects.
- Extensive design experience in site planning, grading, erosion control, water quality, drainage, & utility design.
- Prepared and designed Contributing Zone Plans & Water Pollution Abatement Plans for sites located over the Edwards Aquifer.
- Testified as a court-appointed expert witness in the case of “Swindle v. Schlesinger”, a class-action lawsuit for damages involving the faulty design and construction of the Metropolitan Sewer District’s water reclamation facility; testimony proved vital in reaching a settlement agreement.
- Developed an optimal design for “Stadium Way” by creating a life-cycle cost analysis, which included the total sum of relevant costs and benefits throughout the life of the project.
- Perform technical energy analyses on commercial building property using state-of-the-art energy modeling software.
- Research current and past energy codes, review existing energy performance analysis of buildings (LEED, ASHRAE, etc.), and provide feedback and opinions to our energy modelers and software development team.
- Work closely to provide general oversight and guidance with our team of energy modelers.
- Analyze hundreds of commercial HVAC, lighting, and building envelope systems to understand the energy performance of the existing buildings compared to baseline energy use.
- Consistently obtained results on government contracts to produce over $1 million in processed data for the fiscal year 2001.
- Developed personal trust and reliability by establishing strong liaison with Alcatel-Lucent and customer senior management.
- Handled product quality improvements acting as a point of reference in the Alcatel-Lucent product life cycle; identifying anomalies, software bugs, product restrictions, and customer change requests.
- Managed company resources and local teams to successfully define and accomplish projects.
- Mentored and consulted with departments on construction projects, costing, and engineering requirements.
- Appointed as a technical reviewer of bids and specifications for four years.
- Updated and prepared water distribution, supply, and facility master plans including the evaluation of existing conditions and infrastructure recommendations.
- Performed hydraulic modeling for potable and recycled water clients as well as the feasibility of water transfer between different agencies’ water systems.
- Drafted preliminary design reports for the construction of recycled water pipelines.
- Assisted in conducting cross-connection tests in order to switch from potable to recycled water.
- Recognized for technical proficiency by the president of the American Society of Professional Engineers (ASPE).
- Perform structural calculations for curtain wall, cladding, and other building envelope projects.
- Review/markup shop drawings created by drafters to make sure it is in accordance with structural calculations, project specifications, and governing building codes.
- Create shop drawings, fabrication drawings, and assembly drawings.
- Promoted interest in science-related fields by leading seminars for junior high school students.
- Received award for excellence in project management; supervised approval, notification, inspection, and evaluation of construction projects under $20M in value.
- Inspection of solar projects and completion of structural observation reports to record findings; resolution of structural issues.
- Creation of Standard Operating Procedures for engineering activities, design, and structural assessment.
- Development of a range of spreadsheets for solar project calculations utilizing VBA Independent Consultant.
- Performed diagnostic and design for the petroleum, petrochemical, biotech, and power-gen industries.
- Composed chamber music for symphony orchestra.
- Develop and manage budgets for projects, including tracking of funding sources, and authorization of payouts to vendors and other financial stakeholders based upon project milestones or contract requirements.
- Perform an after-action study of project problems (lessons learned), needed changes to procedures, organizational change to support project success, communications and information flow improvements, resource control, or cost improvements.
- Proactively identify potential project delays that may occur and develop plans to mitigate the risk of those delays.
- Engage in regular communications with the project team and stakeholders on project status, problem identification, and generation of solutions.
- Conducted numerous energy audits, cost/benefit analysis, power quality surveys, and equipment/process optimization evaluations.
- Perform highly advanced engineering work requiring licensure by the State Board of Professional Engineers.
- Perform inspections in the field and analyses as required to determine the best approach to soil and foundation needs.
- Review Quality Control plans, Construction plans, specifications, procedures, and any other documents.
- Created over thirty computer simulations of wind currents around proposed buildings; abridged construction schedules by four weeks.
- Achieved new levels of environmental responsibility in the use of biodegradable chemicals and recycling while reducing operating costs by ten percent by 1990.
- Conduct pre-construction meetings with field representatives, contractors, and consultants to discuss construction methods, schedule, and best management practices.
- Inspect and monitor construction activities and existing surface water management systems of permitted projects within Collier and Lee County to ensure compliance with the ERP.
- Coordinate with consultants, contractors, developers, governmental agencies, and the general public to offer technical guidance on the resolution of violations and non-compliance issues with surface water management systems and the District ERP.
- Provided leadership and direction to project engineers, subcontractors, and clients; coordinated all activities of multi-disciplined project team to ensure completion within budget and time constraints.
- Collaborated with university faculty for the preparation of design documents for education programs.
- Support the data needs for the smart grid system monitoring dashboard by collecting, assessing, and forwarding performance & reliability-related issues back to the Smart Grid -Vision 202 team.
- Assist in the creation and documentation of operating procedures that govern the support & maintenance organization.
- Participated in the initial unit test/ integration test and BGE user test while working with the lab manager and testers from all environments.
- Doing modifications to meters in the lab to mimic real-life scenarios, by adding transformers to step up or step down voltage, adding photoresistors and programming meters to collect data at different time intervals.
- Completed assignments on time and within budget, with emphasis on project scope, timeliness, and technical accuracy.
- Responsibilities include structural analysis and design of structures by utilizing a variety of materials, detailing, forensics, writing reports, site visits, document preparation, shop drawing review, construction document review, and peer review.
- Work closely with architects, builders, and suppliers for coordination and problem solving during project schematic, design, and construction phases.
- Projects ranged across the US including areas in high seismic, high wind, heavy snow, and/or poor soil conditions.
- Contributed and participated in a wide range of activities ranging from field inspections to management of major projects.
- Developed skills in all phases of the engineering profession; proficient in oral and written communications.
- Expertise, extensive knowledge, and solid experience in roadway design, grading, volume calculations, stormwater design, sewer design, and flood control.
- Successfully designed detention and retention ponds with emphasis on bio-retention and water quality improvement.
- Extensive and broad-based knowledge of stream water modeling and surface water modeling.
- All but one written report was cited as outstanding quality by peers; honored with an excellence award for participation in a cooperative project meeting.
- Received professional development award for professional contributions to NRECA, the Board of Engineers, and industry.
How to Become a Successful Professional Engineer?
As it is the highest level of expertise in the field, there is considerable education and training required to become a professional engineer. You will have to complete a program in engineering at the bachelor’s level and pass an exam, then again four years of experience before taking the final license exam and passing.
Once you have these credentials you can work in a wide variety of settings, including managing other engineers at a company or other establishment. You can also seek out work in the public safety sector, in patent production, or work in a factory to help optimize machinery and equipment.
Wherever you choose to work, you will need to keep up your credentials with continuing education, and this can be done by joining an engineering association and taking classes or attending seminars to get the credits you need to stay on top of the field and ensure you are never behind changing times.
Learning to work well in teams will also be to your benefit, as you will have to work with a multitude of people and your high expertise will typically make you the most experienced one in the room. Guiding less experienced workers will make you a valuable team member that employers will always want.
For everything from public safety to legal trials, professional engineers and their considerable expertise are required to help maintain order and keep everyone safe and everything we rely on running smoothly. Professional engineers work in a wide variety of settings due to their broad level of knowledge, and they use that knowledge to ensure that whatever they work with is up to code.
Hope these samples gave you an idea of what your resume should look like and some tips on how to make sure that your resume stands out from the rest.