For everything from public safety to legal trials, professional engineers and their considerable expertise are required to help maintain order and keep everyone safe and everything we rely on running smoothly. Professional engineers work in a wide variety of settings due to their broad level of knowledge, and they use that knowledge to ensure whatever they work with us up to code.
How to Become a Successful Professional Engineer?
As it is the highest level of expertise in the field, there is considerable education and training required to become a professional engineer. You will have to complete a program in engineering at the bachelor’s level and pass an exam, then gain four years of experience before taking the final license exam and passing.
Once you have these credentials you can work in a wide variety of settings, including managing other engineers at a company or other establishment. You can also seek out work in the public safety sector, or in patent production, or work in a factory to help optimize machinery and equipment.
Wherever you choose to work, you will need to keep up your credentials with continuing education, and this can be done by joining an engineering association and taking classes or attending seminars to get the credits you need to stay on top of the field and ensure you are never behind changing times.
Learning to work well in teams will also be to your benefit, as you will have to work with a multitude of people and your high expertise will typically make you the most experienced one in the room. Guiding less experienced workers will make you a valuable team member that employers will always want.
The Best Professional Engineer Resume Samples
These are some examples of job descriptions we have handpicked from real Professional Engineer resumes for your reference.
- Prepared plans numerous commercial developments & industrial projects.
- Extensive design experience regarding site planning, grading, erosion control, water quality, drainage, & utility design.
- Prepared and designed Contributing Zone Plans & Water Pollution Abatement Plans for sites located over the Edwards Aquifer.
- Perform technical energy analyses on commercial building property using state-of-the-art energy modeling software.
- Research current and past energy codes, review existing energy performance analysis of buildings (LEED, ASHRAE, etc.), provide feedback and opinions to our energy modelers and software development team.
- Work closely to provide general oversight and guidance with our team of energy modelers.
- Analyze over hundreds of commercial HVAC, lighting and building envelope systems to understand the energy performance of the existing buildings compared to baseline energy use.
- Developed personal trust and reliability by establishing strong liasion with Alcatel-Lucent and customer senior management.
- Handled product quality improvements acting as a point of reference in the Alcatel-Lucent product life cycle; identifying anomalies, software bugs, product restrictions and customer change requests.
- Managed company resources and local teams to successfully define and accomplish projects.
- Updated and prepared water distribution, supply and facility master plans including the evaluation of existing conditions and infrastructure recommendations.
- Performed hydraulic modeling for potable and recycled water clients as well as the feasibility of water transfer between different agencies’ water systems.
- Drafted preliminary design reports for the construction of recycled water pipelines.
- Assisted in conducting cross-connection tests in order to switch from potable to recycled water.
- Perform structural calculations for curtain wall, cladding, and other building envelope projects.
- Review/markup shop drawings created by drafters to make sure it is in accordance with structural calculations, project specifications, and governing building codes.
- Create shop drawings, fabrication drawings, and assembly drawings.
- Inspection of solar projects and completion of structural observation reports to record findings; resolution of structural issues.
- Creation of Standard Operating Procedures for engineering activities, design and structural assessment.
- Development of a range of spreadsheets for solar project calculations utilizing VBA Independent Consultant.
- Develop and manage budgets for projects, including tracking of funding sources, authorization of payouts to vendors and other financial stakeholders based upon project milestones or contract requirements.
- Perform after-action study of project problems (lessons learned), needed changes to procedures, organizational change to support project success, communications and information flow improvements, resource control, or cost improvements.
- Proactively identify potential project delays that may occur and develop plans to mitigate the risk of those delays.
- Engage in regular communications with project team and stakeholders on project status, problem identification and generation of solutions.
- Perform highly advanced engineering work requiring licensure by the State Board of Professional Engineers.
- Perform inspections in the field and analysis as required to determine the best approach to soil and foundation needs.
- Review Quality Control plans, Construction plans, specifications, procedures and any other documents.
- Conduct pre-construction meeting with field representatives, contractors and consultants to discuss construction methods, schedule and best management practices.
- Inspect and monitor construction activities and existing surface water management systems of permitted projects within Collier and Lee County to ensure compliance with the ERP.
- Coordinate with consultants, contractors, developers, governmental agencies and the general public to offer technical guidance on resolution of violations and non-compliance issues with surface water management systems and the District ERP.
- Support the data needs for the smart grid system monitoring dashboard by collecting, assessing and forwarding performance &reliability related issues back to smart Grid -Vision 202 team.
- Assist in the creation and documentation of operating procedures that govern the support & maintenance organization.
- Participating in the initial unit test/ integration test and BGE user test while working with the the lab manager and testers from all environments.
- Doing modifications to meters in the lab to mimic real life scenarios, by adding transformers to step up or step down voltage, adding photo resistors and programming meters to collect data at different time interval.
- Responsibilities include structural analysis and design of structures by utilizing a variety of materials, detailing, forensics, writing reports, site visits, document preparation, shop drawing review, construction document review, and peer review.
- Work closely with architects, builders, and suppliers for coordination and problem solving during projects schematic, design, and construction phases.
- Projects ranged across the US including areas in high seismic, high wind, heavy snow, and/or poor soil conditions.
- Expertise, extensive knowledge, and solid experience in roadway design, grading, volume calculations, storwater design, sewer design, and flood control.
- Successfully designed detention and retention ponds with emphasis on bio-retention and water quality improvement.
- Extensive and broad based knowledge of stream water modeling and surface water modeling.