Police Sergeants provide direct supervision of Police Officers as well as other employees within the department to enforce city, county, state, and federal laws. Their duties include supervising Police Officers, completing inspections on personnel and equipment, reviewing documentation, handling evidence, assigning shifts and posts, and performing evaluation reports.
For many, writing a resume can be daunting. If you are working on your own, it is easy to become overwhelmed with the amount of information you need to include and how best to present yourself.
The sample resumes below provide great examples of how to write an effective resume.
The Best Police Sergeant Resume Samples
These are some examples of accomplishments we have handpicked from real Police Sergeant resumes for your reference.
Police Sergeant Resume Sample 1
- Adjudicated disagreements, negotiated settlements, and concluded conflict in a professional manner without resorting to violence.
- Implemented leadership, instruction, and attitude training programs including discipline, hard work, training methods, safety awareness.
- Instructed tactical skills with respect to protective equipment usage, handling of weapons and equipment.
- Directed duties of security forces during live combat exercise at Ft Lawton Tacoma Washington for 400 soldiers. Trained 10 technicians on full field operations.
- Received commendation for outstanding performance as the Media Coordinator for essential military property within the region; presented expert testimony at three trials of criminal cases including appeals.
Police Sergeant Resume Sample 2
- Assisted in the investigation of dozens of violent crimes while working in the patrol division.
- Reviewed policies, procedures, and training for other personnel.
- Reviewed paperwork and verified documentation to ensure that other personnel were following policy guidelines.
- Processed numerous warrants.
- Became certified in FBI Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
Police Sergeant Resume Sample 3
- Achieved distinction in breath analysis after passing the Illinois Preliminary Breath Test Refresher Course.
- Demonstrated leadership in crisis situations through the effective development of tactical, rescue, and homicide plans with a team of law enforcement experts.
- Developed a network of informants during two years of undercover work with a major drug trafficking ring.
- Fostered regard for law in a diverse community by providing consistent application in a judicial role over a period of twelve years in the state police force.
- Received commendation for safeguarding numerous innocent civilians through application of state statutes regarding search warrants.
Police Sergeant Resume Sample 4
- Served as an officer in the U.S. Marine Corps; trained as a Basic and Advanced Police Officer; attained the Master Sergeant rank.
- Served as an officer in the U.S. Army; trained as a Basic and Advanced Police Officer; attained the Sergeant Major rank.
- Served as an officer in the Pennsylvania State Police; trained as a Basic and Advanced Police Officer; attained the Senior Trooper rank.
- Trained tens of thousands of uniform police officers in uniform, traffic, criminal investigation, firearms, defensive tactics, uniform training, and public relations programs in fourteen states over past twenty years (Pennsylvania).
- Trained local and federal peace officers in the use of civil disturbances and crowd control methods over past ten years (Civil Unrest and Terrorism).
Police Sergeant Resume Sample 5
- Secured a B.S. in Criminal Justice from [college] [university] [institution] and an Accreditation from [agency]; passed all tests required by [agency] for promotion to Sergeant after seventeen years of service.
- Presented training on evidence-based policing to fellow officers at [department], making an impact on officer safety and arrest results; earned appreciation of superior and subordinates for training effectiveness.
- Earned commendation of fellow police officers and supervisor for risk management and crime prevention efforts; earned 96% conviction rate on felony plus misdemeanor cases.
- Realized lifelong dream of owning a small business; manufactured and sold handcrafted leather gloves to local shops, boutiques, and offices.
- Realized potential to establish security industry-leading systems for law enforcement, government, military, and private sector security; created award-winning use of biometrics for identification verification.
Police Sergeant Resume Sample 6
- Demonstrated exceptional ability to think and act quickly and calmly in emergency situations; completed over 900 hours of combat training.
- Proven capable of working independently with minimal supervision; conducted criminal investigations independently with full authority of officers assigned to narcotics division.
- Trained hundreds of patrol officers in marksmanship, defensive tactics, and arrest procedures; awarded three commendations for excellence in training.
- Aided in the capture of several violent offenders; completed successful undercover operations for more than a year.
- Reviewed accident reconstructions with accident reconstructors from two separate state police agencies in Illinois and Indiana during a single shift.
Police Sergeant Resume Sample 7
- Began career as an information specialist with the U.S. National Guard doing public records requests, fingerprinting, and conducting background investigations.
- Became a crime scene investigator to collect evidence at work, during private investigations, and for school presentations.
- Trained to be an active shooter incident commander preparing for mass casualty incidents at Fort Lewis High School in Tacoma, WA.
- Constructed network of 40+ police department employees to promote the business-to-business program through networking events.
- Served as a Department of Defense contractor for five years maintaining security forces and equipment of the State Department of Saudi Arabia.
Police Sergeant Resume Sample 8
- Fulfilled military career goals by graduating high school with honors, enlisting in the U.S. Army Air National Guard, and becoming a commissioned officer.
- Served as a barrier-jumper and a Combat Engineer during Operation Desert Storm in Southwest Asia.
- Earned a Bachelor’s Degree in Law Enforcement Administration, a Master’s Degree in Criminal Justice, and went on to become a police detective serving as an incident commander during the JFK assassination investigation for the NYC Police Department.
- Turned down promotion opportunities from law enforcement agencies that offered to hire me as an investigator or as their lead officer. Instead, chose to stay in the Patrol Division and continued to acquire more leadership experience.
- Transitioned into a federal law enforcement position after working in the private sector as a security team leader/supervisor for Target Stores for over 12 years.
Police Sergeant Resume Sample 9
- Responsible for the safety, integrity, and grievances of my fellow officers.
- Each week, gained experience with investigating crimes in a variety of settings.
- Managed criminal records for over one year while increasing the professionalism of military police.
- Established management controls & procedures for maintaining order and discipline during deployment to Afghanistan.
- Effectively investigated everything from motor vehicle accidents to building code violations.
Police Sergeant Resume Sample 10
- Assertively, actively participated in team missions that resulted in the apprehension of multiple armed robbers.
- Directed military veterans’ parade during special events; ensured security and operations were carried out according to city ordinances.
- Brought citizens’ concerns to the attention of city administration by improving communications between community members.
- Established protocols for procedural operations within the department; contributed to a department-wide reduction of police response times by 15%.
- Outlined guidelines for human resources in training programs, service dramas, policy adoption, and budget planning.
Police Sergeant Resume Sample 11
- Took initiative and acted decisively in response to a break-in at a convenience store; investigated the scene, identified witnesses, tracked down suspects, and coordinated arrests.
- Assumed direct responsibility for major crime investigations; examined crime scenes for evidence, solved complex crimes by tracking criminals to their hideouts, and obtained confessions.
- Sustained concentration for longer periods; enabled detection of drug smugglers by patrolling the coasts of San Diego County in 1985.
- Stood guard duty for 14 continuous hours; provided protection against possible aerial assault on Camp Pendleton, California in 1993.
- Researched and refined techniques for unarmed combat upon survival training at the Marine Training Center in Twentynine Palms, California.
To work as a Police Sergeant you will need a minimum of a high school diploma or equivalent, as well as having graduated from an accredited law enforcement academy. Police Sergeants must exhibit outstanding communication skills, leadership skills, problem-solving skills, the ability to pay attention to detail, outstanding physical fitness, integrity, and a high level of professionalism in order to succeed.
Resumes are a crucial aspect of any job search. In order to make a good first impression, it is important that your resume be formatted and written professionally. To create the perfect resume, think about what skills and qualities you want your future employer to see.
Hope these samples gave you an idea of what your resume should look like and some tips on how to make sure that your resume stands out from the rest.