Operating Room (OR) Nurses provide care to patients before, during and after surgery. Their main duties include passing medical instruments to the surgeon during an operation, preparing the operation room, keeping the operation room sterilized, providing nurse care to patients, assisting patients with recovery and developing a care plan for patients.
For many, writing a resume can be daunting. If you are working on your own, it is easy to become overwhelmed with the amount of information you need to include and how best to present yourself.
The sample resumes below provide great examples of how to write an effective resume.
The Best OR Nurse Resume Samples
These are some examples of accomplishments we have handpicked from real OR Nurse resumes for your reference.
OR Nurse Resume Sample 1
- Assisted in the coordination of surgeries during summer internships at Kessler Institute Medical Center.
- Established an Outstanding Nursing Student Award, recognizing individuals who demonstrated professionalism, demonstrated commitment to the field of nursing, and maintained a GPA of 3.5 or higher;
- Received Outstanding Achievement in Research Award; completed an independent research project which was presented at The Annual Research Symposium at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey (UMDNJ), School of Health Related Professions (SHRP); participated in several nursing research projects that published articles in nursing journals (e.g., Journal of Perioperative Nursing).
- Received Outstanding Academic Achievement in Clinical Experience Award for maintaining a C in all clinical, including clinical study; participating in independent study courses.
- Performed well in the National Student Nurses’ Association (NSNA) and received the President’s Award for excellence in community nursing.
OR Nurse Resume Sample 2
- Reduced mortality rate from 15% to 10% by providing complete assessment and monitoring of patients, with special attention to those at-risk.
- Informed physicians of patient treatment plans as per physicians’ requests, which aided in clearance for discharges.
- Monitored patients’ responses to treatments, ordered additional studies as needed, and made adjustments in treatment plans. Received commendations from nursing staff for eliminating unnecessary treatments and medications.
- Worked with surgeons during hip and knee replacement surgeries by administering medications and monitoring the patients throughout the procedure.
- Ordered laboratory tests as needed, administered medications to transplant patients, and assessed responses to medications.
OR Nurse Resume Sample 3
- Performed a wide range of duties including, interviewing patients, operating a CT scan, hooking up oxygen tanks and IVs to patients.
- Represented our nursing department at various associations and conventions.
- Fostered patient-care relationships by providing excellent care and taking the initiative in providing additional services.
- Received award for outstanding quality from the governing agency.
OR Nurse Resume Sample 4
- Completed the Nursing Assistant Certification.
- Perform all nursing duties following hospital and nursing department guidelines.
- Maintain a high level of hygiene and infection control; provide patient care with integrity and professionalism.
- Be responsible and accountable for adherence to departmental policies and procedures, including service policy, safety/security, business office policies and procedures, information technology, etc.
- Recognized for excellent performance by the CEO; providing exceptional customer service in accordance with hospital policy.
OR Nurse Resume Sample 5
- Assessed patients’ condition and determined appropriate nursing intervention.
- Competently adjusted TPN infusion of a patient with burns undergoing IV line treatments after surgery.
- Effectively monitored patient’s blood pressure within the acceptable range, thus preventing hypertensive crisis.
- Expertly obtained blood samples for lab analysis.
- Accurately documented all pertinent patient information into an electronic medical record system; recommended revisions for improving database accuracy and accessibility by physicians and nurses on the floor.
OR Nurse Resume Sample 6
- Helped to maintain the highest patient satisfaction rating for the OR team; received an award as a Certified Professional Nurse.
- Assisted in developing and implementing new protocols to improve efficiency and patient care outcomes; completed training for Radiation Safety Officer certification.
- Developed new ways to reduce errors and improve efficiency by using standardized forms and checklists; recognized as an Intraoperative Coordinator.
- Trained and supervised OR staff on infection control, sterile technique, housekeeping, and equipment maintenance; recognized as a Certified Professional Nurse Practitioner.
- Supervised and assisted in the training of new staff; recognized as a Certified Professional Nurse.
OR Nurse Resume Sample 7
- Researched, created, and implemented curriculum for agency’s new course entitled “Medication Errors.”
- Assisted in developing procedural manuals for new pharmacy programs.
- Improved nursing process efficiency by 50% after creating an electronic charting system.
- Drafted administrative procedures manual used to streamline Pharmacy processes.
- Conducted staff development of clinical skills with an emphasis on safe medication administration.
OR Nurse Resume Sample 8
- Eliminated bedsores that were not apparent at the initial examination; effectively assessed the patient’s ability to tolerate pain and perform activities.
- Recognized as an outstanding nurse by coworkers and patients.
- Achieved award for caring for patients during open surgery or intense procedures; effectively communicate with other nurses, doctors, and administration about the patient’s condition.
- Developed effective therapeutic plans for rehabilitation patients following surgery to prevent recurrences of problems, including aggressive plans to eliminate complications within 30 days of surgery.
- Recognized as one of the top 10 nurses in the county by peers; members of an effective workforce team that achieved superior results inpatient care quality metrics.
OR Nurse Resume Sample 9
- Recognized by the Corporate Nurse for outstanding performance and service to the company’s clients.
- Volunteered in an on-call rotation; noted by the Supervisor for exceptional customer service and commitment to excellence.
- Received medical director’s recognition for superior patient care and adherence to health care guidelines.
- Helped prepare patients’ medication, monitor the equipment, and assist with administrative work.
- Earned appreciation as an HMO patient assistance Specialist for excellent customer service.
OR Nurse Resume Sample 10
- Analyzed patient blood tests, records, and recommended patient treatments.
- Initiated patient care based on reviewing health records and recording intake of medications.
- Recognized by the Regional Manager for outstanding performance; demonstrated leadership skills by adhering to company policies.
- Received award for providing excellent customer service, demonstrating excellent customer education skills, and selling a positive image throughout the community.
- Achieved a superior rating based on observation of my peers/supervisors who rated me as an effective team member who understood their role, provided quality service to customers and coworkers, and built relationships with coworkers.
OR Nurse Resume Sample 11
- Managed the OR fast track area, ensuring patients received timely surgical services.
- Supervised junior staff, which allowed for more time to focus on tasks requiring a higher level of skill and knowledge.
- Demonstrated skills in mass casualty incidents; managed department during an emergency situation that resulted in the death of multiple patients.
- Provided clinical education to new hire staff based on national standards for safe patient care.
- Received certificate for achievement of excellent patient outcomes.
OR Nurse Resume Sample 12
- Resolved issues with difficult patients.
- Initiated medications for all patients every 4 hrs.
- Organized medication administration system within the hospital.
- Helped implements new nursing care practices within the department, including pre-operative blood draws.
- Closed a 24-bed diabetic clinic in 3 months while maintaining a 98% nurse satisfaction rating.
OR Nurse Resume Sample 13
- Performed duties as an OR nurse during seven months of rotating shifts.
- Supervised medical technicians and other surgical personnel in the operating room.
- Directed junior OR nurses in the completion of daily patient care tasks.
- Developed means to train junior nurses, including compiling notes for nursing staff meetings, patient care sessions, and staff-training posters.
- Supervised surgical technicians working under the direct supervision of senior nursing practitioners.
To become an operating room nurse, you require an associate’s degree in nursing and pass the National Council Licensure Examination-Registered Nurse (NCLE-RN) examination. Operating room nurses must demonstrate empathy, good communication skills, patience, teamwork, listening skills, ability to stay calm under pressure and critical thinking skills.
Resumes are a crucial aspect of any job search. In order to make a good first impression, it is important that your resume be formatted and written professionally. To create the perfect resume, think about what skills and qualities you want your future employer to see.
Hope these samples gave you an idea of what your resume should look like and some tips on how to make sure that your resume stands out from the rest.