A Literacy Teacher is tasked with teaching students reading skills based on their reading levels. Their duties are to create a reading curriculum, analyze students’ progress, identify possible reading disabilities if necessary, share student progress with parents, maintain proper classroom behavior, and create tests for students.
For many, writing a resume can be daunting. If you are working on your own, it is easy to become overwhelmed with the amount of information you need to include and how best to present yourself.
The sample resumes below provide great examples of how to write an effective resume.
The Best Literacy Teacher Resume Samples
These are some examples of accomplishments we have handpicked from real Literacy Teacher resumes for your reference.
Literacy Teacher Resume Sample 1
- Connected with each student using a variety of instructional methods based on their individual learning styles; instilled a love of reading in children.
- Conducted “reading blitzes” every summer to ensure every student became functional readers.
- Recruited and organized volunteers from the community to teach parents how to assist their children with reading during after-school tutoring sessions.
- Maintained an above average classroom library and stocked it with age-appropriate books for reading lists during book fairs; directed parents to the library when seeking material for home use.
- Taught students how to use their imaginations through innovative reading techniques and games.
Literacy Teacher Resume Sample 2
- Motivated and directed high school student volunteers for over 3000 hours of class and tutor sessions.
- Prepared and presented an average of 2000 minutes of community literacy workshops (50 workshops) for public school teachers, volunteers, and parents to strengthen community skills, resource awareness, and motivation.
- Enhanced educational performance in reading comprehension, vocabulary acquisition, and written expression through OLLI courses designed to improve comprehension skills by analyzing historical documents and regular writing.
- Developed my personality as a caring educator who recognized the potential in each student by demonstrating patience with new students on a daily basis; earned appreciation from my OLLI students as well as my coworkers at the YMCA.
- Designed and implemented a program to engage students in community service activities.
Literacy Teacher Resume Sample 3
- Created learning opportunities for children and adults of all ages by instilling a love for reading in all participants.
- Created learning opportunities for children and adults of all ages by instilling a love of reading in all participants.
- Instructed classes conducive to individual growth during school hours as well as after hours at community libraries.
- Exercised professional instruction of students with special needs by role playing in simulated classroom settings.
- Taught classes associated with the Ohio Department of Education’s Parent Involvement Pilot Program at the YMCA.
Literacy Teacher Resume Sample 4
- Volunteered 20 hours per month to tutor children in decoding and spelling, reading comprehension and critical thinking, at a Southside elementary school.
- Helped students overcome school-related learning difficulties by demonstrating effective techniques for reading, writing, spelling, and critical thinking.
- Developed an “Early Warning System” to identify students in danger of becoming dropouts.
- Became an instructor for the Peoria Literacy Association; taught parents how to be more effective an supportive teachers for their child’s literacy skills.
- Taught the Adult Basic Education Diploma Class; developed a curriculum to overcome barriers that prevented adults from completing their high school equivalency diplomas.
Literacy Teacher Resume Sample 5
- Met students’ literacy needs with the Teaching Reading as a Second Language (TRS) program.
- Helped students from diverse language backgrounds to improve reading and writing skills through the use of phonics.
- Assessed, designed, and implemented appropriate Instructional Materials for Developmental Education (IMDE).
- Selected, organized, and updated technology to enable students to access their own information.
- Developed an Individual Educational Plan with each student to help students achieve their highest potential.
Literacy Teacher Resume Sample 6
- Taught adult literacy to students eager to learn. Students donated money to purchase first books.
- Enjoyed the challenges of leading in an environment overloaded with unfulfilled potential; inspired students to think beyond their limits.
- Facilitated fourteen young adults with major disabilities, such as autism, in a year of learning opportunities; observed transition from non-verbal communication to verbal communication.
- Christian community service award given for mentoring a young man with multiple disabilities while fostering literacy, career development, and self-sufficiency.
- Recognized for promoting cultural awareness of intellectual disabilities through my involvement in various community activities and projects regarding disability awareness education.
Literacy Teacher Resume Sample 7
- Targeted and taught at-risk and low income children, entering first grade as an elementary school teacher.
- Led or facilitied remedial literacy classes in the evenings.
- Trained child behavior specialist as an assistant teacher.
- Drafted and participated in a play based on the life of Malcolm X.
- Used critical reading skills to improve literacy skills of a third grade class.
Literacy Teacher Resume Sample 8
- Improved the reading proficiency of students by 100% in less than 15 months.
- Reversed student’s failure status to honor roll within one school year.
- Fast-tracked students’ reading, writing, and spelling skills through use of creative lesson plans, games, and activities.
- Received prestigious award for excellence in teaching from staff and fellow members of Literacy Partnership; recognized as a role model for other educators.
- Earned accolades from faculty for the ability to relate the educational curriculum to real-world application; enhanced students’ moral awareness concerning crime prevention issues.
Literacy Teacher Resume Sample 9
- Motivated and supervised a team of ten other literacy teachers in the implementation of the comprehensive literacy plan in name of the founder.
- Produced the most students meeting state and federal standards for the 2013-2014 school year.
- Designed a viable research system to implement an ongoing philosophy of student success and attainment. (See attached Research Systems Committee document)
- Conducted seminars on instructional design, professional development, and intervention strategies for interns in support program positions.
- Performed on-the-job trainings while assisting two ELL teachers with their curriculum instructing duties as they transitioned from non-certified teachers to certified ESL instructors.
Literacy Teacher Resume Sample 10
- Created an environment of enthusiasm and fun for the students, which generated a 76% retention rate during the latter half of a four-year term.
- Worked to improve the attitudes of parents and teachers about the importance of teaching children to read.
- Developed a motivational program that was successful in helping the students become proficient readers.
- Demonstrated responsibility by supporting family and friends during difficult times.
- Successfully applied for a grant for new educational technology, which allowed for more efficient teaching methods.
Literacy Teacher Resume Sample 11
- Transformed students’ reading, writing, and comprehension skills by analyzing their education foundations of learning, teaching the multi-sensory techniques to read and understand test material, empowering them to succeed after graduation.
- Utilized my solid foundational background in reading development, research and technology to enhance the students’ learning experience by providing hands-on training activities that promoted accessibility to books of different genres.
- Recruited 110 volunteers; educated them on how to relate with teens regarding literacy development. Assisted them through implementation at local high schools using a proven instructional model.
- Raised money from local businesses interested in helping the community by providing textbooks for use in the literacy program.
- Lead the Literacy Program to expand from working with 60 students in 2002, to serving over 600 students in 2010.
To become a Literacy Teacher, you will need a bachelor’s in education, a teaching certificate. The skills needed for this position are strong communication skills, patience, analytical skills, problem-solving skills, time management skills, ability to motivate others, creativity skills, and organizational skills.
Resumes are a crucial aspect of any job search. In order to make a good first impression, it is important that your resume be formatted and written professionally. To create the perfect resume, think about what skills and qualities you want your future employer to see.
Hope these samples gave you an idea of what your resume should look like and some tips on how to make sure that your resume stands out from the rest.