A Linux Administrator is an IT (information technology) specialist who installs, maintains and arranges Linux operating systems in different companies or networks. They also make sure that the Linux systems and servers are working well by doing maintenance and creating backups in case the system stops working so information isn’t lost. As a Linux Administrator you also help help by giving technical support and answering any questions that the users of the linux systems might have.
How to Become a Successful Linux Administrator?
A bachelor’s or associate’s degree in a field like computer science or something similar like that. You can also take a Linux Certification training program that is accredited to get the skills and qualifications for the job.
Two years of server administration experience in Linux or UNIX server setup. Experience in coding and programming is required because you have to work with a system’s source code and fix any problems the system might have.
As a linux administrator you need experience in information security to make sure the systems are secure and to update it with the best security using up to date methods. Analytical skills are also a must because you need to know how to examine error logs, user information, system performance and that everything is working and reliable.
Communication and problem solving skills are needed because you need to be able to know how to work with other IT workers and come up with good solutions when technical problems happen.
As a successful linux administrator you have all of this experience in information technology and know how to do your job the best way possible by being a creative problem solver.
The Best Linux Administrator Resume Samples
These are some examples of job descriptions we have handpicked from real Linux Administrator resumes for your reference.
- Establish monitoring and alerting of Postgres servers using Nagios and Postgres Enterprise Manager.
- Experience in Splunk deployment, admin, configuration and dashboard development.
- Expert in installing SPLUNK apps for Linux and UNIX environments.
- Worked with Analytics team to design and set up data pipeline using Kafka, Elastic (Elk) Stack and AWS Lambda.
- Systems monitoring and administration of Servers for day-to-day problems, patches, user administration, hardware failure, monitoring log files, backup, software up gradation, configuration changes and documentation.
- Extensive knowledge on troubleshooting and configuring of Linux Ethernet Bonding and creating of Ethernet aliases.
- Strong understanding of networking concepts and implementations of Linux-based infra solutions environments.
- Install, configure, tuning, security, backup, recovery and upgrades of RHEL 5.5 and higher.
- Regular work involving building new Linux Physical and Virtual servers using kickstart and PXE boot.
- Good Knowledge of LVM, which include creating PVs, VGs, LVs and filesystems and troubleshooting.
- Strong knowledge of large-scale Linux deployment methodologies, kernel configuration, performance monitoring, and tuning.
- Designed knowledge and skill tests to be used by junior members of the team.
- Helped customers design their infrastructure, often saving them money in the process.
- Taught self new technologies (NGINX, CentOS, Cloud Servers API) and trained customers and peers how to use them appropriately.
- Configured Linux network, basic trouble shooting process, Diagnose and corrective network problems.
- Installed and upgraded Linux Redhat OS 5/6: Anaconda and kickstart installation.
- Managed physical storage by creating physical, extended and logical partitions including swap partitions.
- Working with application team for exporting shared volumes and mounting shared volumes.
- Worked with local development team, remote application team and database team throughout the lifecycle of backup project to migrate the servers to newer enterprise version.
- Worked with DBA team for network related, permissions, mount points and space related issues.
- Mounted the Netapp shelves and did capacity planning according to the requirement to support backups of the infrastructure.
- Extensive working experience in process scheduling, disk and file system I/O, kernel tuning, TCP/IP networking.
- Installing Veritas Volume Manager and configuring Disk Groups, Volume Groups and Logical volumes to manage the storage resources.
- Effective use of LVM disk Management tool to Create, extend the Volume Groups on RHEL and Solaris.
- Working with Logical Volume Manager and creating of volume groups/logical performed Red Hat Linux Kernel Tuning.
- Responsible for Linux system administration for David Geffen School of Medicine including RHEL, Ubuntu and CentOS production and development systems.
- Performed daily systems monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key process, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs and backups.
- Upgrade and configure system software that supports infrastructure application and asset management applications per project or for operational needs.
- As an Enterprise Server administrator was responsible for remote monitoring of Production.
- Applied patches quarterly to meet audit requirements using Red Hat Satellite server, YUM and RPM tools.
- Resolved configuration issues and problems related to OS, mounts, LDAP, user ids, Networking, DNS and issues.
- Experience in addressing networking issues and setting up bonding.
- Establishing ODBC connection to move data from SQL 2000 to SQL 2008 and Upgraded Dialogue version from ver6 tover 8.
- Administered Linux servers for several functions including managing WebSphere, Apace/Tomcat server, mail server, MySQL database, SVN, build and firewalls in both development and production.
- Use strong Linux and Windows Server Administrator skills to accomplish website migrations setup, and restore websites and troubleshoot hardware and software issues as they arise.
- Upgraded Solaris 8 and Solaris 9 to Solaris 10 using Live migrations.
- Responsible for Monthly & Emergency Release activities such as moving the packages/code from Test, Staging to Production using CVS, SVN.
- Providing production support for multiples applications residing on Linux and Windows environments.
- Making sure Zero-Down time for enterprise critical applications by raising outages, escalations whenever necessary.
- Raised, handled and closed multiple Change Management and Trouble Management tickets accordingly with Standards.
- Expertise in installing, upgrading and configuring Red Hat Servers using KickStart puppet and Solaris Server using Jumpstart.
- Administrated server consolidation program through use of VMware ESX server and VMware Virtual Center.
- SWAP box configuration, Implementation of disaster backup and recovery.