Legal clerks are employees who work for lawyers or businesses.Legal clerks assist and advise judges, lawyers, and other legal companies. There is a large number of jobs legal clerks complete. They often help with businesses and balancing their legal system. They work for the government and for independent lawyers. They also work for large law firms. It is essential that a legal clerk be extremely smart and communicable.
How to Become a Successful Legal Clerk
- To become a legal clerk, it is important to get extensive education.
- Typically a legal clerk has at least their bachelors in law. Oftentimes however, legal clerks have much hire credential. Some have an MA or MS, and many even have their J.D.
- Getting into these graduate programs is very competitive, but it is essential to learn enough to be able to handle simple legal tasks. The legal system is expanding rapidly and is already quite complicated. Legal clerks need to have a high code of ethics.
- After education, you will usually need to have had at least 2 years of experience in other areas of law before getting hired. The jobs are usually very competitive since they are the first step into the law field. The career is very lucrative and moving up will step up the pay by a lot. If you work hard, it is normal to move up into higher paying positions.
- The average salary for a legal clerk is $60,000.
The Best Legal Clerk Resume Samples
These are some examples of job descriptions we have handpicked from real Law Clerk resumes for your reference.
- Drafted predictive memoranda of law regarding banking, bankruptcy, and employment issues.
- Closely monitored legislation proposals regarding all areas of the banking industry.
- Perform legal research and analysis on banking topics including the most recent OCC Regulations, the National Flood Insurance Program, and customer privacy issues.
- Consulted with a Valley AML officer on the close monitoring of a suspected terrorist under the guidance of the General Counsel.
- Developed a portfolio of agreement templates that comply with company policies and local law.
- Ensured any legislation, regulations, or guidelines are thoroughly analyzed and reported.
- Provided legal advice to management, ensuring that legal issues are identified and resolved.
- Conducted all legal research and writing for chambers in relation to a plethora of legal issues.
- Provided Judge with summations of attorney legal arguments and synthesis of relevant case law.
- Maintained and administered an extremely high volume of legal motion papers in hard copy for Law Division matters and in digital copy for Special Civil and Small claim matters.
- Substituted for other Judge’s Law Clerks to perform these duties in multiple chambers.
- Provided professional and informative customer service to attorneys and pro se litigants in relations to their cases and other pending litigation.
- Research case law and precedent in the areas of labor and employment, pensions, and personal injury.
- Draft complaints, affidavits, motions, and other pleadings connected with discovery.
- Interview clients, obtain necessary facts for cases, and provide administrative support.
- Conducted extensive research and drafted memoranda in areas of toxic torts, asbestos, product liability, real estate, and employment litigation, as well as transactional real estate context.
- Reviewed and prepared concise summaries of deposition volumes and judicial decisions.
- Participated in discovery litigation while drafting client correspondence.
- Researched case law and federal statutes to ensure accuracy in court presentations.
- Communicated with clients to schedule and obtain necessary information and documents.
- Developed positive relationships with staff at government agencies and the courts.
- Managed correspondence with clients, courts, and government agencies.
- Assist litigation group in preparing trial briefs, motions, subpoenas and exhibits.
- Draft complaints, discovery requests, responses and other pleadings as needed.
- Additionally support entertainment and intellectual property groups in drafting cease and desist letters and conducting trademark searches.
- Drafted and edited legal memoranda and Orders for matrimonial pre-judgment motions.
- Conducted legal research on issues including equitable distribution, alimony, custody, and international service.
- Drafted and edited legal memoranda for transgender minor name changes and requests for service by publication.
- Researched and drafted Memorandums of Decision on a variety of Law Division and Special Civil issues while seamlessly handling a large workload.
- Implemented organizational workflow systems in chambers to maintain an organized and efficient workflow.
- Conducted Small Claims and Landlord Tenant mediations as a New Jersey trained mediator.
- Handled matters at all stages of discovery such as initial disclosures, interrogatories, requests for document production, document review, drafting deposition questions, and motions to compel.
- Initiated cases by conducting client intake, performing research on defendants, and drafting complaints.
- Managed an active case load of over forty federal cases across six federal districts.
- Researched, analyzed, and synthesized Criminal law issues related to capital punishment and sentencing enhancement on appeal letters utilizing LexisNexis and Westlaw Next databases.
- Drafted and finalized motion/letters for appeals in federal courts.
- Researched, organized, drafted, and submitted felony motions and office memoranda.
- Analyzed, and synthesized Criminal law issues related to capital punishment and sentencing enhancement on appeal letters.
- Draft various pleadings, summons, complaints, default motions and objections in foreclosure actions.
- Handle court appearances by assigning attorneys to different courts and ensuring cases were ready to go forward.
- Manage client databases such as LPS, Real Resolution and CaseAware.