Forensic nurses are specialized nurses that attend to crime victims that present to health care facilities. It’s their duty to create a safe environment, collect evidence, provide medico-legal services, conduct crisis intervention, plan for specialized follow up care, document management conducted, educate others on detecting such patients and provide an expert testimony in law courts.
For many, writing a resume can be daunting. If you are working on your own, it is easy to become overwhelmed with the amount of information you need to include and how best to present yourself.
The sample resumes below provide great examples of how to write an effective resume.
The Best Forensic Nurse Resume Samples
These are some examples of accomplishments we have handpicked from real Forensic Nurse resumes for your reference.
Forensic Nurse Resume Sample 1
- Maintained confidentiality of personal health information during the course of forensic medical examinations; all reports and information were stored in a locked filing cabinet.
- Acquired extensive knowledge of laboratory tests, various aspects of blood samples, and drawing procedures for specimens.
- Conducted sexual assault exams on approximately 25 victims each year, many within 24 hours after assault; managed to remain calm and reassure the victims while collecting evidence that could be used against their assailants in court.
- Provided transitional support for children involved with child welfare system by escorting them during foster home visitation and permanency hearings; mentored and offered support to younger nurses and social workers when asked or needed.
- Assessed psychological and emotional needs of child victims and their families, as well as children who had been exposed to sexual abuse.
Forensic Nurse Resume Sample 2
- Examined and submitted evidence from sexual assault victims for DNA testing in a timely manner according to State of Oregon guidelines for secure chain-of-custody.
- Conducted bedside examinations, obtained histories, and recorded injuries on victims of minor to major trauma with knowledge of the medicolegal process.
- Presented educational seminars relating to types of evidence collection, handling procedures, and documentation requirements at county conferences.
- Interacted with law enforcement agencies during homicides or other significant crimes within assigned geographical area.
- Identified appropriate medical treatment protocols including referral to psychiatric care for indigent patients who exhibit suicidal tendencies.
Forensic Nurse Resume Sample 3
- Restored patients’ positive attitudes and improved their mental, physical health through guidance in proper diet, hygiene, exercise techniques.
- Provided initial patient care and education to five patients weekly in a long term care facility.
- Liaised between police department investigators, the state crime lab, and local hospitals during a highly publicized sexual assault case.
- Successfully defended thesis on drug abuse awareness in nursing programs; end result was increased participation of 30% in community outreach activities.
- Initiated self-help program for recovering addicts, achieved status as group leader after six months of dedication and commitment to others’ welfare.
Forensic Nurse Resume Sample 4
- Administered tests for sexually transmitted diseases and collected, sorted, and analyzed forensic evidence.
- Provided assistance during training seminars in areas of accident reconstruction.
- Presented testimony as an expert witness at both civil and criminal trials related to physical abuse of children under the age of three.
- Trained police officers on procedures for performing child abuse examinations; assisted with investigations involving child sexual assault victims.
- Actively participated in community outreach efforts through crime prevention lectures and workshops designed to educate young girls on self-protection skills/strategies aimed at preventing abduction attempts.
Forensic Nurse Resume Sample 5
- Assisted in the development of a protocol for the submission and analysis of rape kits, including emergency procedures for patient care.
- Provided nursing expertise at crime scenes to assist with decontamination efforts, safety precautions, and personal effects.
- Standardized a process to identify DNA evidence that assists prosecutors in preparation for trial.
- Collaborated with other forensic nurses to provide an efficient submission system for rape kit testing at state funded forensics laboratories.
- Developed original research on health standards as they relate to sexual assault evidence collection; presented findings during national conference.
Forensic Nurse Resume Sample 6
- Assisted in processing over 450 sexual assault examinations.
- Scrutinized evidence for scientific basis of conclusions to support criminal investigation.
- Performed over 10,000 sexual assault examinations involving pediatric and geriatric patients for local law enforcement agencies.
- Trained graduate nursing students in forensic science research methods by mentoring undergraduate medical students enrolled in medicolegal investigations course.
- Helped the County with the development of new sexual assault nurse examiner protocols by applying scientific inquiry to advance patient care.
Forensic Nurse Resume Sample 7
- Observed and reported injuries to the police department, legal organizations, and insurance agencies.
- Assisted in cases of sexual assault victims by performing comprehensive patient examinations for evidence collection.
- Compiled data from crime scenes, pieced together puzzle pieces to solve crimes, and identified trends in criminal activity through meticulous lab work.
- Provided emotional support to grieving families during closure proceedings; comforted loved ones while facilitating an investigation into their family member’s death.
- Identified key indicators of life after resuscitation (e.g., brain-stem response) to establish reliable data upon which patients’ prognoses would be based; brought hope back to loved ones’ hearts who had lost hope.
Forensic Nurse Resume Sample 8
- Assisted in the collection of specimens for DNA testing.
- Performed as a technical consultant and expert witness for an officer-involved shooting trial; provided physical evidence, documentation, and investigative knowledge to jury.
- Developed increased awareness about sexual assault cases through participation with advocacy groups and presentation at community outreach events and seminars.
- Strengthened department by recruiting and developing volunteer dedicated forensic nurses; increased health care staff from 8 to 13 employees during tenure.
- Expanded understanding of critical nursing skills through participation in 10 different continuing education workshops on various related topics such as patient assessment, transfer techniques, wound management, etc.
Forensic Nurse Resume Sample 9
- Participate in over 50 autopsies as a team member and several as the Forensic Nurse Examiner.
- Lead role in reducing hospital’s liability for pre-existing conditions by reporting and minimizing re-transfusion incidents.
- Manage patient care and outreach activities during epidemics of streptococcus pneumoniae, hepatitis C, and West Nile virus.
- Collected data to show decrease in cost, increase in efficiency, and improvement in customer satisfaction through process improvements made during restructuring of units/services.
- Presented case study on “Bloodborne Pathogens” to Executive Committee; received award from American Society for Healthcare Engineering (ASH).
Forensic Nurse Resume Sample 10
- Lived by the motto, “Remember who you are and what your job is” when working in a fast-paced environment.
- Spent countless hours studying medical records to ensure proper care of victims during investigation.
- Assisted police officers in field investigations that involved physical harm to people; performed duties including photographing injuries, interviewing victims that required hospitalization, collecting evidence for lab analysis, sending evidence to crime laboratory technicians, and taking physical measurements at crash scenes.
- Became an instructor after completing basic training courses where I taught other nurses how to correctly perform forensic examinations under stressful situations.
- Trained 100 students in the use of firearms so they could successfully complete firearm qualification courses required by the State Police or county/city agencies.
Forensic Nurse Resume Sample 11
- Worked to reduce the number of HIV infections in pediatric cases through adult prosecution.
- Provided forensic examinations for sexual assault victims at local hospitals.
- Talked with children about potentially harmful situations if they ever found themselves alone with an unknown adult.
- Presented court testimony on behalf of patients who had been physically or sexually assaulted.
- Reducing the risk of serious complications in types of medical emergencies, including poisoning, respiratory problems, and chemical ingestion.
Qualified forensic nurses need to have a CCNE-accredited master’s degree in this specialty, be state licensed and registered. The desired skill set entails attention to detail, listening skills, strong written and verbal communication skills, basic life support skills, decision-making, computer skills, interpersonal and analytical skills.
Resumes are a crucial aspect of any job search. In order to make a good first impression, it is important that your resume be formatted and written professionally. To create the perfect resume, think about what skills and qualities you want your future employer to see.
Hope these samples gave you an idea of what your resume should look like and some tips on how to make sure that your resume stands out from the rest.