Financial Aid Counselors have the duty of assisting students and parents with creating a plan for the payment of the children’s postsecondary education. Their duties include helping individuals with the financial aid process, providing the required documents, helping individuals fill out the required forms, informing students about the loan repayment procedures and helping teach students how to budget.
To work as a Financial Aid Counselor you must have a Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Accounting, Psychology, Education, Finance or related field. Financial Aid Counselors must have great mathematical skills, interpersonal skills, organisational skills, communication skills, an understanding personality, great knowledge about regulations, guidelines, and procedures for awarding of financial aid and great writing skills.
For many people, writing a resume can be daunting. If you are working on your own, it is easy to become overwhelmed with the amount of information you need to include and how best to present yourself.
The sample resumes below provide great examples of how to write an effective resume.
The Best Financial Aid Counselor Resume Samples
These are some examples of accomplishments we have handpicked from real Financial Aid Counselor resumes for your reference.
Financial Aid Counselor Resume Sample 1
- Gave financial aid presentations at ten colleges, to over 300 students.
- Assisted almost 20 students in acquiring their first car by securing financing through the dealer and a bank loan at a low interest rate.
- Gained national recognition for writing grants that provided support for college education of low-income families, totaling over $500,000.00.
- Aided 25 students in enrolling into college after working closely with guidance counselors to discover additional scholarship opportunities.
- Received special recognition from university President for my contribution in promoting access of education through financial means to traditionally underrepresented groups.
Financial Aid Counselor Resume Sample 2
- Effectively counseled and advised students after determining their eligibility for federal educational financial aid.
- Improved office efficiency by 4% in monthly processing of loans and scholarships; recognized by the office manager for outstanding performance.
- Reduced student delinquency rate by 10% following implementation of new recovery procedures; recognized by the District Manager.
- Developed, planned, and executed conferences with guests from universities nationwide to improve outreach programs; attended conference in New Hampshire as a guest speaker.
- Identified and diagnosed problems and developed workable solutions through research and analysis of data using computer-based quantitative tools.
Financial Aid Counselor Resume Sample 3
- Assisted students and families to determine eligibility for financial aid.
- Trained peers on new procedures, regulations, and programs related to student financial aid.
- Received company award for outstanding performance in recruiting new students into the department.
- Mentored two high school seniors through college application process including advising on SAT preparation, scholarship opportunities, and list of colleges to apply.
- Revised existing reporting mechanisms providing insight into enrollment trends at University level.
Financial Aid Counselor Resume Sample 4
- Promoted to Counselor and Supervisor after two years of extensive teamwork with the College President, Vice Presidents, Department Chairmen, Financial Aid Advisory Board Members, Faculty Staff, and Applicants.
- Established relationships with the community and financial benefactors as a college representative.
- Provided counseling services for hundreds of students who were seeking scholarships from local businesses as well as colleges and universities.
- Oversaw the entire scholarship process from filing applications through disbursement to ensure that all applicants received their awards on time.
- Managed the budgeting responsibilities including yearly audits for scholarship funds by working closely with auditors and other event coordinators.
Financial Aid Counselor Resume Sample 5
- Enabled more than 100 students of diverse backgrounds to obtain financial aid for postsecondary education.
- Acted as trusted adviser and confidante to students, parents, administrators, faculty, and staff.
- Provided leadership by establishing personal rapport with college personnel in efforts to convince the college that student’s proposed course of study will enrich the school’s curriculum.
- Promoted new scholarship opportunities through community outreach programs that attracted $10,000 in contributions from local businesses.
- Decreased default rates by assisting students in completing loan deferment forms; recognized by the Dean of Student Affairs with an award for demonstrating exceptional customer service.
Financial Aid Counselor Resume Sample 6
- Counseled an average of 75 students per year on financial aid, scholarship opportunities and payment plans.
- Handled a caseload containing some of the most difficult cases, one of which was a student who had been incorrectly denied for federal student aid by three other offices.
- Rallied colleagues to investigate a rare fraternity grant opportunity after discovering its existence through initial research. As a result, 15 students received $2,000 more in grant funds over the course of four years.
- Proactively identified outdated master promissory note information from students’ files and subsequently assisted nine students in correcting inaccuracies on their loan applications during one quarter alone.
- Received customer satisfaction award for consistently performing beyond expectations.
Financial Aid Counselor Resume Sample 7
- Provided customer service for students, parents, and staff at three locations.
- Responded to requests regarding forms, policies, procedures, specific issues in a timely manner.
- Coordinated with assigned departments to resolve problems that occurred due to internal processing errors.
- Recognized by Assistant Director of Financial Aid for superior customer service resulting in improved retention rates among applicants.
- Identified program weaknesses based on student feedback; implemented changes to improve retention rates for each semester.
Financial Aid Counselor Resume Sample 8
- Provided professional customer service to students attending local colleges with the goal of helping them achieve their educational goals.
- Identified college-bound high school students through outreach activities and assisted them with applying for financial aid.
- Streamlined application process by coordinating paperwork between administrators, guidance counselors, teachers, parents, and students.
- Decreased time spent on certification of documents by 75% through creating an electronic filing system; recognized by Regional Manager for outstanding performance.
- Resolved conflicts among staff members more effectively than before after participating in training program that taught Delegation/Assignment (D/A) skills; recognized as Employee of the Month.
Financial Aid Counselor Resume Sample 9
- Reviewed financial circumstances of over 100 applicants to award full or partial financial assistance.
- Providing guidance about college admissions and career choices through counseling, workshops, and presentations.
- Tracked students’ progress toward academic success by utilizing computerized tracking systems.
- Retrieved financial records for audits; submitted reports on time after review by Collection Manager.
- Received Application Award for outreach program that increased number of background checks completed within two weeks from ten the previous month to 45 the following month.
Financial Aid Counselor Resume Sample 10
- Aided students with establishing financial stability through its programs, encouraging career development and people management skills.
- Raised $80,000 in 3 years for student scholarships.
- Received appreciation award for work performance after delivering professional service to students and their families during eligibility audits.
- Hired as Financial Aid Counselor assistant; assisted the Director with duties such as verifying accuracy of information submitted by students, parents, colleges/universities, teachers, employers/managers on all applications for aid programs.
- Chosen to conduct workshops within local community about college admissions process; encouraged continued higher education among under-represented populations in America.
Resumes are a crucial aspect of any job search. In order to make a good first impression, it is important that your resume be formatted and written professionally. To create the perfect resume, think about what skills and qualities you want your future employer to see.
Hope these samples gave you an idea of what your resume should look like and some tips on how to make sure that your resume stands out from the rest.