The Desktop Support Technician’s role is to provide a single point of contact for client requests via help desk. Their duties include PC and network support, repairing computers and accessories, performing network system administration, setup and configuration of hardware, regular maintenance, assisting with diagnoses of performance problems and responding to help desk tickets.
For many, writing a resume can be daunting. If you are working on your own, it is easy to become overwhelmed with the amount of information you need to include and how best to present yourself.
The sample resumes below provide great examples of how to write an effective resume.
The Best Desktop Technician Resume Samples
These are some examples of accomplishments we have handpicked from real Desktop Technician resumes for your reference.
Desktop Technician Resume Sample 1
- Performed first call troubleshooting of desktop computers for customers, earning the title of first point of contact.
- Rebuilt desktop computer for customer with computer parts from manufacturer to resolve immediate need.
- Diagnosed problem with laptop that had been presented by senior management as unsolvable; data restored using software tools after hard drive was replaced.
- Worked with vendors on technical issues and contract negotiations, enabling company to receive equipment discounts. Successfully completed training causing promotion to Desktop Technician/Server Specialist position. Certified in Dell hardware and Microsoft OS platforms. Extensive knowledge of PC internals gained through extensive research, networking, and participation in online communities such as chat and discussion groups.
- Helped reduce average computer turn-around time by performing pre-emptive troubleshooting and software installation.
Desktop Technician Resume Sample 2
- Performed hardware and software troubleshooting to ensure complete functionality of PCs, printers, scanners, and other peripheral equipment.
- Installed new computers for employees while adhering to company policies and procedures; prevented unauthorized access to confidential data.
- Repaired PC’s by replacing or upgrading components such as USB ports, motherboards, hard drives, RAMs, video cards, power supplies and more.
- Diagnosed web camera issues with online streaming videos after testing several laptops; notified technical support to resolve the issue within an hour.
- Modified system specifications in order to install both Windows 7 and Mac OS X on a single machine without causing any errors.
Desktop Technician Resume Sample 3
- Reconstructed over fifty computers by troubleshooting and resolving hardware, software, and networking issues.
- Received special recognition for exceptional customer service; maintained good rapport with customers to ensure repeat business.
- Trained two junior technicians in all aspects of desktop maintenance including preventive care, repair, upgrades, installation of new equipment, configuration of multiple brands of desktops and laptops.
- Achieved certification as a Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) through intensive six-month training.
- Implemented organizational change management during restructuring process to streamline workflow within IT division.
Desktop Technician Resume Sample 4
- Repaired, assembled, and disassembled computers, printers, hard drives, and equipment.
- Detected hardware failures by using diagnostic software to test random access memory (RAM), central processing unit (CPU), read-only memory (ROM), graphics card, motherboards, Ethernet cards, power supply units (PSU), cooling fans, USB controllers, sound cards.
- Performed repairs of all components except motherboards; replaced faulty power cords for Dell laptops.
- Resolved customer issues with virus removal including new installs for Windows 7 OS on Dell laptops and desktops. Assisted customers in accessing their email via Outlook Express after recovering unsaved information from the drive due to loss of power.
- Troubleshooted internet connectivity issues for customers with Windows 8.1 OS by performing hardware checks, memory tests, and installing new network adapters.
Desktop Technician Resume Sample 5
- Diagnosed, advised, and repaired over 15 problems on multi-component desktop computers.
- Installed drivers, replaced power supplies, stripped keyboards, replaced fans.
- Maintained 80 workstations by conducting daily preventative maintenance of the equipment.
- Troubleshot an issue with a computer running 64 bit Windows 7 that would not boot past the login screen; diagnosed as system board failure due to overheating secondary to dust build up in ventilation area. Replaced motherboard, cpu, fan unit under warranty from supplier 2 days post-issue. Identified root cause for recurring hardware failure related to improper ambient temperature being outside of specifications for this model of processor cooling unit (heat sink). Updated warranty procedures to include verification of ambient specs.
- Realized potentials for future growth when interviewed for Open Position in June; resume received high marks.
Desktop Technician Resume Sample 6
- Solved over 80% of desktop-related issues remotely, saving over 8 hours per week in required onsite maintenance time.
- Assisted engineering staff to troubleshoot technical issues with systems equipment, including routers and switches.
- Provided end-user support through expert installation/configuration of PCs, printers, servers, scanners, copiers, phones and network devices.
- Earned “Most Valuable Technician” award for consistently going above and beyond the call of duty; maintained 100% uptime for all hosted services – recognized by server engineer.
- Increased productivity among co-workers by 10% after creating a centralized media streaming service that also enabled concurrent access.
Desktop Technician Resume Sample 7
- Provided onsite technical support for over 100 employees within the organization.
- Troubleshooted PC hardware, software, ability to isolate cabling problems in a timely manner.
- Prevailed over deadline pressure while providing an unprecedented level of quality service by maintaining continuous availability throughout peak periods.
- Acted as the primary point of contact for all desktop-related inquiries while developing strong customer rapport with end users and IT staff.
- Planned, organized, and completed deployment of computers into new office locations across state during company relocation; recognized for displaying exceptional organizational skills and system knowledge.
Desktop Technician Resume Sample 8
- Provided technical support and customer service via phone, email, and in-person for customers of computer store; resolved over 150 customer issues.
- Resolved more than 1000 cases of software and hardware malfunctions through remote diagnosis and resolution.
- Maintained company inventory by buying discounted items on eBay to balance out losses from warranty return items; increased the number of sales per month by more than 20%.
- Repaired over 300 computers after testing, diagnosing, and implementing replacement parts as needed; increased average time between failures to 130 days.
- Identified trends in failure rates for various manufacturers’ PC components using statistical analysis tools leading to changes in vendor sources based on price/quality comparisons.
Desktop Technician Resume Sample 9
- Resolved over 25 hardware and software issues with users’ personal computers.
- Troubleshot, diagnosed the problem, and repaired a failing UPS unit in an IT Lab environment.
- Identified external malware infections on PCs after analyzing process behavior.
- Engineered a test for virus identification involving multiple machines as part of optimizing a system’s antivirus solution.
- Created scripts to automate processes for performing network configuration management tasks across clients and servers.
Desktop Technician Resume Sample 10
- Troubleshot and optimized the performance of a new cluster server machine with 16 processors.
- Provided support for over 55,000 users in a diverse computing environment spanning multiple locations across the United States.
- Reinstated 20 desktop computers from scratch after one year of storage, by reconfiguring memory to specifications, replacing failed components, and installing necessary software updates.
- Reconciled accounts payable discrepancies by reconciling purchase invoices to accounting records; discovered several undocumented charges that resulted in refunding over $9000.00 to clients.
- Recovered data from a RAID 5 hard drive array while ensuring that all data backed-up correctly throughout the process.
Desktop Technician Resume Sample 11
- Overhauled entire computer network consisting of servers, hubs, switches, DSL routers, cable modems, backup tape drives, printers and fully implemented new wireless system.
- Troubleshot problematic software issues for end users including full data back up and virus removal.
- Designed, built, configured three workstations from scratch with high-end components for promotional kiosk design.
- Repaired PC’s to factory standards including memory upgrades, BIOS updates to resolve hardware conflicts and hard drive installations.
- Restored two computers while on site using safe boot method; one running Windows XP Home Edition while the other ran Windows Vista Business Edition without any data loss or corruption during restoration process.
An associate’s degree or bachelor’s degree in a Computer Science-related field is required to be a Desktop Technician. Successful Desktop Technicians demonstrate thorough knowledge of computer software and hardware, critical thinking, advanced problem-solving skills, strong communication skills, a thirst for technical knowledge, confidence and basic customer interaction skills.
Resumes are a crucial aspect of any job search. In order to make a good first impression, it is important that your resume be formatted and written professionally. To create the perfect resume, think about what skills and qualities you want your future employer to see.
Hope these samples gave you an idea of what your resume should look like and some tips on how to make sure that your resume stands out from the rest.