Cinematographers, also sometimes called directors of photography, work alongside directors, filmmakers and other producers of visual motion picture content. These professionals are highly trained, and combine their academic and practical training in order to manage visual aspects of production. Their duties may include reading scripts, and deciding upon the correct angles for lighting, angles and framing of shots. In addition to these responsibilities, cinematographers may also be involved in post-production.
How to Become a Successful Cinematographer?
Receive high school education or equivalent. Most cinematographers will need a college degree to stand out, making a high school education a top priority. While in high school, prospective cinematographers can join a club, such as morning announcements or other visual production, in order to gain experience.
Apply for university programs in film, visual media or other. A university education has become very important for people in film and production. You will have to gain the technical skills needed in order to edit, shoot and arrange for filming scenes, and there is no better place to do this than at the university.
Complete an internship in film production. Arguably more important than formal education in the film industry is experience and contacts. By participating in an internship, not only will you grow your network of professional contacts, you’ll also be able to gain the hands-on experience that studio directors are looking for when hiring cinematographers.
Apply for jobs in the film industry. This may involve moving to locations where the film industry in most prevalent, such as Hollywood or Los Angeles California. Don’t be afraid to take the risk if film is truly your passion. In competitive industries such as these, to some extent, it really is about who you in addition to what you know.
The Best Cinematographer Resume Samples
These are some examples of job descriptions we have handpicked from real Cinematographer resumes for your reference.
- Location scouting for lighting, camera movements and set desing.
- Advice on best times and places for exterior scenes to take maximum advantage of available light.
- Advice on arrangements for rental of camera, lighting, grip equipment and specialized tools.
- Creatively design and execute shots which create and enhance the feel, atmosphere and emotion of individual scenes and the film as a whole.
- Utilize composition, lighting, camera angles, camera movement and scene coverage to provide clients with the elements necessary to complete their projects.
- Projects have included narrative short and feature films, commercials, documentaries, music videos, corporate and educational films.
- Work with the business and creative teams to devise video campaigns to highlight branded content.
- Create and iterate on storyboards, Bring complex shots to reality with diligent research and planning.
- Experience capturing aerial video with remote controlled UAVs equipped with aerial camera systems.
- Provide professional recommendations on utilization of compressor, lighting, placements and setups.
- Establish rapport with clients and act in a consultative manner for all project related decisions.
- Editor of Television and Internet Commercials/Videos to include color correct/audio sync projects.
- Design and setup on site shoots for clients and campaigns programs.
- Document and record events in the fashion and corporate circuit.
- Create visual appealing programs to target audiences for distribution to client specific needs.
- Coordinate the activities of writers, directors, managers, and other personnel throughout the production process.
- Research production topics using the internet, video archives, and other informational sources.
- Review film, recordings, or rehearsals to ensure compliance with production and broadcast standards.
- I have been working as a freelance cinematographer from about 6-7 years.
- I am currently working with METRO Los Angeles in producing/shooting/directing content for social media.
- I am experienced in everything from Documentary filmmaking to corporate videos/events to weddings to big production commercials and films.
- Studio shoots for event promos, product promos, fashion tutorials, EDM lifestyle content, company branding & brand awareness.
- Shoots include full studio lighting setups, custom built sets & set decoration, green/blue screens and multi-camera shooting with little to no supervision.
- Content creation including scriptwriting and collaboration with marketing & creative for the maximization of online video views to drive traffic to the websites.
- Oversight of trade shows, including setup, company representation, and dismantling of booths.
- Use organizational skills and create spreadsheets to enhance the tracking and managing of information and projects.
- Enhanced clarity of client communication, and increased client satisfaction.
- As Cinematographer I am responsible for managing the cameras and lights.
- I oversee the selection and manipulation of technical equipment to create a striking image on screen.
- I make decisions on the use of different lenses, filters, lighting techniques and camera movements.
- Short promotional video for a local non-profit organization specializing in the aid of college preperation to students.
- Short documentary on local band of five members from Azuza, CA who specializes in indie rock music.
- Short documentary on recently opened local La Verne café that specalizes in handcrafted waffles and coffee.
- Produced, directed, photographed, and edited film/video for events and news in the entertainment and fashion industry.
- Directly involved in all aspects of post production video services including music selection, picture editing, and sound design.
- Provided expert assistant to director of photography, set director, and camera operator.
- Planned, coordinated and shot interviews, documentaries, and webcast for distribution for web and TV plat- forms.