An associate attorney assists with legal problems for an organization, advises employers on legal matters, performs research, drafts contracts and agreements, negotiates settlements, and prepares legal documents. The top skills for this position are problem-solving, analytical thinking, writing, public speaking, and research. A law degree is required, as well as a license to practice law.
The Best Associate Attorney Resume Samples
These are some examples of accomplishments we have handpicked from real Associate Attorney resumes for your reference.
- Advising clients on the securities law, corporate governance, and disclosure implications of equity incentive plans, including working to ensure such plans satisfy the Institutional Shareholder Services (ISS) approval guidelines and addressing deduction issues under Section 162(m) of the Internal Revenue Code (the “Code”).
- Working with employers on the design, implementation, and administration of tax-qualified and non-qualified retirement plans and health and welfare benefit plans and assisting with the drafting of such plans.
- Negotiating and drafting employment, bonus, severance, and other related agreements for senior-level executives for both public and private companies, including addressing Code Section 409A issues thereunder.
- Obtained a monetary award on behalf of the client in a wage and hour class action.
- Brought an individual suit to collect unpaid overtime wages in federal court, resulting in a monetary award after an all-day trial.
- Responsible for all aspects of the pre-trial phase of personal injury claims against a bus operating company.
- Reviewed over 40,000 documents in the pre-litigation phase of threatened lawsuits under the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Prepared responses to EEOC charges alleging age discrimination, race discrimination, disability discrimination, pregnancy discrimination, and gender discrimination.
- Authored annual legislative updates regarding Louisiana and Texas wage and employment law for firm publication.
- Handled an incident involving overt sexual harassment, resulting in the perpetrator’s termination and identification, which prevented further harassment of other employees.
- Manage probate docket of approximately 15 cases. Successfully probated 7 wills and negotiated settlements in approximately 4 will contests.
- Oversee preparation and execution of all discovery, including interrogatories, production, disclosures, and admissions.
- Develop and lead community events providing free or discounted legal services for indigent populations.
- Achieved a satisfactory resolution to a dispute between landlords and tenants over early termination of the lease on commercial unit space.
- Won money damages for small businesses whose property was damaged by fire caused by the negligence of another business entity.
- Responsible for all aspects of investigating claims against clients and preparation of detailed status, mediation, and pretrial reports which include a full analysis of claims, analysis of defenses, and recommendations for trial and/or settlement.
- Responsible for leading litigation team in responding to all discovery requests including production of relevant documents and asserting appropriate objections to privileged and non-discoverable materials.
- Prepared relevant pleadings and motions including, but not limited to, Original Petitions and Answers, Traditional and No Evidence Motions for Summary Judgment, Motions to Compel Discovery, and Motions to Strike Expert Witnesses.
- Argued motions include, but are not limited to, Motions for Summary Judgment, Motions to Compel Discovery, and Motions to Designate Responsible Third Parties before the trial courts.
- Recognized for oral argument, research, and analysis of a legal dispute before both a state appellate court and the Supreme Court of the United States.
- Drafted all pleadings for uncontested probate matters, including Applications, Motions, Orders, Inventories, and Family Settlement Agreements.
- Drafted Wills, Trusts, Financial Powers of Attorney, Medical Powers of Attorney, HIPAA Releases and Authorizations, Declarations of Guardianship, and Directives to Physicians.
- Interviewed and counseled potential clients and current clients in estate planning matters and probate matters.
- The proven ability for legal analysis and interpretation; noted as a participant in an arbitration case to determine business-related contractual obligations.
- Earned award as an outstanding attorney; recognized by peers and judges for insightful research, writing, and advocacy skills.
- Interviewed or corresponded with claimants, witnesses, police, physicians, or other relevant parties to determine claim settlement, denial, or review.
- Reviewed police reports, medical treatment records, medical bills, or physical property damage to determine the extent of liability.
- Negotiated claim settlements and recommend litigation when settlement cannot be negotiated.
- Handled and negotiated multiple vehicle automotive property damage liability claims on a daily basis.
- Assisted with managing attorneys’ caseloads; gained valuable experience in proofreading, editing, case mobilization, and client follow-up.
- Prepared pleadings, discovery, deposition outlines, and dispositive motions for a construction-related lawsuit involving breach of contract claims and statutory liens.
- Met with and prepared experts and clients for depositions in the construction-related lawsuit.
- Undertook trial preparation for multi-million dollar broker fraud and breach of contract lawsuit in California, including the development of trial strategy, drafting cross-examinations, drafting direct examinations, researching and drafting jury charge and jury instructions, and preparing motion in timeline.
- Drafted a legal brief and successfully advocated for a client who was accused of vehicular homicide.
- Appeared in front of a federal magistrate judge on behalf of a client charged with illegal possession of alcohol.
- Drafted all manner of petitions, answers, pleadings, motions, discovery documents, and orders.
- Developed and implemented case strategies in family law, estate planning, probate, real estate, and contract cases at all stages, frequently without managing attorney support.
- Performed in-house consulting work; prepared custom billing and litigation forms, implemented firm policies to increase efficiency.
- Represented an individual at trial, arguing the constitutionality and common-law doctrine of “to advise and consent” in government hiring, while opposing the recommendation to deny the accused representation.
- Conducted trial preparation in four separate cases from preliminary hearings to jury selection; participated as a lead trial attorney during the finalization of three judgments for clients charged with crimes against persons, property, and society; gained jury verdicts totaling 31 years before juries or judges which resulted in convictions.
- Provide bankruptcy and foreclosure oversight to mortgage servicer clients, managing thousands of cases through a nationwide network of local attorneys.
- Develop and implement processes and procedures for bankruptcy, litigation, and discovery oversight to increase client efficiency and reduce overhead.
- Provide on-site support and legal advice to corporate clients regarding regulatory compliance, best practices, and risk mitigation.
- Manage a team of junior attorneys and support staff to foster strong client relationships through anticipating client needs and exceeding expectations.
- Effectively resolved all types of civil disputes, including business-related contract/warranty disputes, property damage lawsuits, and tort matters.
- Represent construction supply companies at the federal and state levels to collect on various debts owed for supplies purchased by project owners, general contractors, and/or subcontractors.
- Attend hearings all across Texas and successfully obtain favorable judgments and court orders for clients.
- Review and submit lien and bond claims of clients and ensure that claims are perfected via complying with the appropriate state statutory provisions.
- Served as an advocate in an international law firm’s legal department by performing detailed research, drafting court documents and pleadings, and locating applicable laws.
- Used a vast knowledge of evidence laws to obviate my client’s personal injuries resulting from negligence.
- Responsible for managing client files, particularly in Family Law matters, from inception to conclusion, including client intake; drafting of pleadings; mediation; drafting, serving, and responding to discovery requests and subpoenas; negotiation with opposing counsel; preparing closing documents, and all necessary court appearances.
- Make court appearances on behalf of governmental units regarding tax collection matters.
- Serve as Attorney Ad Litem on probate cases, representing unknown or incapacitated heirs throughout proceedings.
- Defended corporate executives against allegations of environmental violations through the application of environmental law and case precedent.
- Effectively coordinated multi-faceted strategy to systematically defeat internal fraud allegations during a government investigation by using knowledge of financial procedures to uncover inconsistencies.
- Responsible for all aspects of case handling including client intake, case negotiation, settlement, and litigation.
- Manage over 100 civil cases with a focus on employment discrimination, personal injury, and divorce.
- Draft and revise pleadings, motions, affidavits, discovery requests and responses, memoranda, and contracts.
- Conduct legal research in preparation for court appearances, depositions, and mediations.
- Conducted legal research regarding several cases; recognized by the firm for thoroughness in preparation and commitment to incisive legal judgment.
How to Become a Successful Associate Attorney?
Becoming a lawyer will always require comprehensive education, including a bachelor’s degree as well as law school, after which point you will need to pass the BAR exam so you can practice as an attorney in your specific state. After you have that you can also get some additional training or education to boost your resume.
Upon being hired by a law firm you will typically need to start by shadowing other attorneys, who will have to approve all of your paperwork and correct any errors before it can be sent out, so your best hope is to listen well when advice is given to avoid making the same mistakes twice in the future.
Once you can work independently it is still always a good move to seek out advice from more experienced lawyers, as they can offer valuable insight thanks to their experience. Without accepting help, you can potentially end up missing out on friendships as well, and good connections are very important in the legal world.
Depending upon the type of work you are doing, the set goals and schedule you have may be very different. Sticking to your deadlines and being respectful of everyone’s time is important as you are typically billed on the hour, and wasting time just to get yourself more money will always work against you in the long run.
Lawyers handle a wide variety of legal needs depending on where they choose to specialize, and they may find themselves doing everything from public defense to big time court cases. This could be in law for civil rights or prosecuting criminals, and even big law firms always need new employees to hire for the future of the company.
Hope these samples gave you an idea of what your resume should look like and some tips on how to make sure that your resume stands out from the rest.
- The Best Associate Attorney Resume Samples
- How to Become a Successful Associate Attorney?
- Wrap Up