An assistant curator assists the chief curator of a museum. Duties include researching potential exhibits, providing education to the public, supervising exhibitions, preparing press releases, media representative, maintain collections, record keeping, and additional support duties.
For many, writing a resume can be daunting. If you are working on your own, it is easy to become overwhelmed with the amount of information you need to include and how best to present yourself.
The sample resumes below provide great examples of how to write an effective resume.
The Best Assistant Curator Resume Samples
These are some examples of accomplishments we have handpicked from real Assistant Curator resumes for your reference.
Assistant Curator Resume Sample 1
- Managed an eight-person staff, the collection of 18,000 pieces (100’s of artists), and the disbursement of $10 million in yearly revenue.
- Hired, trained, and supervised a staff of eight; managed several departments including Art Handling, Preparation Services, Registration Services, and Marketing and Public Relations. Also maintained relationships with other art institutions.
- Expanded all income streams for the gallery by improving relationships with corporate sponsorships and fundraising packages for auction events; held successful auctions four times per year.
- Managed an $8MM inventory budget; reorganized stock room to accommodate growth; instituted a system to track inventory expenses in conjunction with depreciation reports.
- Planned and executed sales, exhibitions, conferences, and new product launches to increase gallery income; led all departmental activities.
Assistant Curator Resume Sample 2
- Monitored and documented daily attendance for each project; reviewed financial statements and prepare budgets for each account.
- Hosted and organized annual fundraiser events; assisted with planning the exhibit, coordinating invitations, and ordering food.
- Managed payroll for the organization; prepared, calculated, and distributed checks.
- Resolved complaints from artists’ guild members in regards to their individual accounts.
- Expedited appraisals of artwork in order to submit insurance claims.
Assistant Curator Resume Sample 3
- Moved furniture and displayed art in the gallery; identified areas for improvement and was sensitive to patron’s needs.
- Worked on the floor during auctions; helped sell the works of art being auctioned.
- Provided ideas and guidelines to area art educators on ways to improve their curriculum.
- Achieved award for teaching assistant and good attendance.
- Received outstanding quality award; effectively compiled data relating to inventory position and sold works of art at auction which had been stored in storage facility since 1989 due to lack of adequate space in museum collection, keeping collections current was a priority.
Assistant Curator Resume Sample 4
- Credited with recognition for significant improvement in the quality of the Funky Art Museum; established new, innovative practices for increased patronage.
- Oversaw creative direction and design of numerous exhibits including “New Visions”, which was awarded the City’s highest honor for excellence.
- Recognized as a “One to Watch” by Arts & Design Magazine; recognized as a representation of the new generation of creative professionals shaping the future of art and design.
- Selected as Art Director for Project of the Year designed by famed architect, John Smithson; invited to participate in events at prestigious New York City galleries.
- Awarded “Best in Show” for photographic image, “Sticks & Stones”, which was featured in the international, bi-annual edition of ArtAsiaPacific magazine.
Assistant Curator Resume Sample 5
- Met with many professional, civic, and community leaders to secure funding and volunteers.
- Oversaw the coordination of volunteer efforts to ensure successful implementation of all projects.
- Prepared marketing plan, secured grant support through numerous foundations, and created a foundation for future fundraising efforts.
- Created partnerships with other cultural institutions, educational institutions, and business leaders in order to increase the Council’s visibility in the community as a leader in cultural development.
- Created a database of assets, donors, and volunteers by utilizing corporate databases and researched databases to identify donors.
Assistant Curator Resume Sample 6
- Processed works of art for exhibitions at the Indianapolis Museum of Contemporary Art (IMOCA).
- Organized projects for the department head to meet deadlines, and worked as a liaison between clients and class instructors.
- Responsible for promoting cultural awareness through activities, exhibits, and programs.
- Received award for outstanding quality; effectively edited written texts.
- Received award for outstanding quality; effectively implemented graphic design studio based on client’s needs.
Assistant Curator Resume Sample 7
- Displayed creativity through exhibits by mixing elements for each piece and effectively increasing visitor flow to the museum.
- Served as curator of the exhibit “American Gothic” and successfully reunited this famous painting with another work in order to complete a study of American art.
- Handled all sales for commissioned paintings, effectively increasing annual sales revenues by an estimated 42%.
- Worked with the Board of Directors to achieve a budget surplus; moved excess items from storage area to museum galleries.
- Resolved problems faced by employees while remaining pleasant at all times; earned respect during performance review.
Assistant Curator Resume Sample 8
- Initiated searches for art materials and books needed for specific exhibitions; communicated with appropriate individuals to procure materials.
- Completed projects on time as requested by the museum.
- Assisted with research, compilation, and scheduling of archived records.
Assistant Curator Resume Sample 9
- Maintained a varied and eclectic collection of art, photography, and archival materials; presented the collection to museum partners as well as patrons.
- Outstanding quality customer service; demonstrated commitment to excellence by striving for continuous improvement.
- Achieved outstanding merit award; effectively assessed donor institutions’ gifts, expanding knowledge of stewardship issues related to charitable donations.
- Accomplished award for meeting customer satisfaction guidelines based on customer survey ratings from customers who had applied for a loan.
Assistant Curator Resume Sample 10
- Demonstrated strong knowledge of museum collections, arts organizations, trends, and cultural history.
- Selected for a global internship due to proven ability to work well in cross-cultural teams.
- Recognized for outstanding performances in developing new exhibition ideas; contributes creative ideas to the Museum’s marketing team.
- Awarded for original concept proposal that led to the development of “A Century of Change” Museum exhibition.
- Invited to join a group planning a three-day conference.
Assistant Curator Resume Sample 11
- Provided historical information to visitors regarding artwork throughout the museum.
- Provided technical services for preservation and digitization projects.
- Undertook inventory project and created a database for tracking art objects.
- Catalogued art objects; completed an inventory of 5,000 pieces of artwork.
- Designed and created a presentation using PowerPoint software to show highlights of the museum’s African American exhibit; received acknowledgment from the President of the company for outstanding presentation skills.
Assistant Curator Resume Sample 12
- Created an original exhibit from inception to completion.
- Mastered the art of building a collection for the museum’s permanent collection including historical, contemporary, and pop culture items.
- The first choice as Area Manager; promoted over peers as recognition for above and beyond team player including after-hours work to keep exhibits on time and under budget.
- Selected most likely to succeed by peers at an annual corporate-sponsored awards ceremony.
- Appointed to Design Committee.
Assistant Curator Resume Sample 13
- Preserved and assembled collections; exhibited and sold artwork.
- Performed maintenance on various galleries, including the restoration and installation of new work.
- Created permanent installations of selected pieces from collections; created documentation to adhere to museum collection standards.
- Facilitated the selection committee for a juried art exhibition for an international design competition organized by a prestigious design center.
- Communicated effectively with museum staff and board as well as community organizations; completed surveys to assess customer satisfaction.
Assistant Curator Resume Sample 14
- Conceived and designed public art commission; resulted in greater attendance at indoor and outdoor site-specific installations.
- Achieved award for identifying a collection of Picasso engravings, serigraphs, and linocuts for donation.
- A managed annual fund-raising event that raised more than $15,000 for cultural programming; initiated a new regional partnership with a similar institution.
- Collaborated with visiting artists from the Netherlands to organize an international symposium; added to the collection of paintings by Dutch masters from the 1600s.
- Coordinated marketing plan to promote exhibitions in gallery spaces across campus; achieved the highest increase in attendance over the previous year.
Education requirements include a bachelor’s or master’s degree in museum studies. Skills to succeed as an assistant curator include a background in archiving, excellent organizational skills, exceptional verbal and written communication skills, strong knowledge of museum collections, good telephone etiquette, good public speaking skills, and knowledge of basic office software.
Resumes are a crucial aspect of any job search. In order to make a good first impression, it is important that your resume be formatted and written professionally. To create the perfect resume, think about what skills and qualities you want your future employer to see.
Hope these samples gave you an idea of what your resume should look like and some tips on how to make sure that your resume stands out from the rest.