Accounting interns work closely with accountants and other financial professionals to gain valuable experience for successful employment as an accountant. Internship duties may include creating spreadsheets; recording journal entries; helping prepare taxes, payroll, and tax forms; keeping books up to date, and handling filing responsibilities. A bachelor’s degree is required by all businesses that employ accounting interns. Outside of the Bachelor’s degree, experience is key; therefore, applicants should include internships or part-time work on their resumes.
The Best Accounting Intern Resume Samples
These are some examples of accomplishments we have handpicked from real Accounting Intern resumes for your reference.
- Assisted in reviewing, analyzing and posting daily cash bail receipts, the daily court and trusts receipts, the daily cash bail and court and trust disbursements.
- Preparing worksheets in Microsoft Excel for bail statistics e.g. court order dates to date of bail refund checks.
- Reviewed, verified and prepared worksheets for cash bail forfeitures, cash bail and court/trust check cancellations and cash bail, and court/trust stale dated checks (older than 6 months old).
- Restructured and reconciled accounts, updating ledgers and financial statements. Researched causes of variances between amounts recorded on records and those discovered during physical inventory assessment. Participated as a member of the cross-functional team that increased productivity by 20% within six months.
- Performed daily reconciliations for 68 line items over a three month period against an account balance of $8 million to ensure accuracy and data integrity. Reviewed 60 unique accounts with a total value of more than $500 million on a weekly basis.
- Balanced daily cash reports with pivot tables along with 35+ domestic and foreign bank reconciliations at the end of every month to match the bank statement with company information.
- Prepared journal entries to correct the appropriate general ledger accounts and was responsible for transfer pricing within different entities.
- Examined on average 400+ spreadsheets weekly for the Asset Management Team to update, deploy, operate, maintain and upgrade assets cost effectively.
- Developed and created report using Vlookup to showcase and track match and gifts the employees donated into different charities within the year.
- Reconciled accounts receivable system on a daily basis for all assigned customers, resolving discrepancies through communication with customers via email, telephone, or in person.
- Reconciled bank statements with vendor and customers invoices to ensure accuracy and completeness.
- Entered invoices into QuickBooks for Accounts Payable to be processed.
- Reviewed and maintained storage files for all vendors, customers, and employee personal information.
- Performed administrative duties including filing, faxing, monitoring/ordering supplies, and scanning documents.
- Led efforts in the preparation of financial statements for a Fortune 500 company, including account reconciliations and research.
- Ensured financial data integrity of 10,000+ records for a Fortune 500 company by auditing and correcting account balances.
- Completed financial calculations such as amount due, interest charges, tax outcome that result from each project, while ensuring revenues are maximized by capturing all billable component and reducing overall tax rate.
- Prepared monthly report in financial statement template and advised on internal control process.
- Communicated with clients daily to resolve frequently asked questions about bills and reported status of project that currently working-on to clients.
- Optimized the production process through concisely written reports; recognized by chief financial officers as a key contributor for assisting them in their daily work flow.
- Reviewed, analyzed, and assigned work to year-end closing team members; prepared correct figures from source documents into spreadsheets that were submitted to accounting department liaison. Completed all audit documentation, finalizing audits with limited supervision.
- Coordinated with senior accountant to bill journal entries and general ledgers for over 40 programs.
- Assisted supervisor by ensuring on-time delivery of supporting documents to government auditors.
- Performed account analysis and drafted reports to clarify usage of funding.
- Aided in development of GAP budgeting, market forecasts, and CRM systems during monthly meetings with executive board members.
- Recognized by top team of accountants after optimizing data entry skills and processing invoices at maximum speed.
- Provided exceptional customer service to multiple clients by promptly responding to inquiries.
- Examined client files, updated company database using Excel and assisted the managers as needed.
- Assisted with preparing and validating month end close schedules and analysis.
- Assisted with auditing and preparation of annual tax returns of individual and small business while utilizing QuickBooks.
- Mastered QuickBooks for needs of an import/export business and assisted CPA with day-to-day accounting procedures.
- Followed precise guidelines when filing corporate taxes and external audits.
- Reviewed 400 individual tax returns for errors to ensure quality controls using Lacerte Tax software.
- Prepared budgets for clients based on past and projected numbers.
- Established and maintained company’s Twitter account to expand clientele.
- Identified needed improvements in tax audits by developing new departmental processes.
- Set up QuickBooks accounts for multiple clients, including bank accounts and credit card reconciliations.
- Paying and reconciling rent while also tracking and detailing its fluctuations for 400+ retail locations across four reporting entities.
- Assisting with reconciling and analyzing balance sheet accounts including prepaid expense, accrued expense, prepaid rent, and security deposits across multiple reporting entities.
- Reviewing invoices and using the Chart of Accounts to properly select the correct coding.
- Maintained client files accurately, neatly, and according to internal filing guidelines.
- Produced spreadsheets showing comparisons between previous accounting reports and actuals; alerted management of variances so they could be addressed.
- Gathered and analyzed large amounts of data to prepare a cost allocation report.
- Reviewed and analyzed accounting records and operating expenses for budgeting purposes.
- Provided general support to accounting department for numerous duties, including federal, state and investor required financial reporting, miscellaneous filings, and organization of invoices and other data.
- Designed PowerPoint slides to introduce new financial software programs to company staff during training sessions; effectively conveyed the benefits of using the software.
- Achieved a 100% response rate on over 30 emails each day by organizing information requests from 11 different departments.
- Improved analytical efficiency by upgrading cash flow projection and financial statement Excel templates.
- Contributed to A/R and A/P processes by creating invoices, posting journal entries and updating the accounting system.
- Performed cash flow projections and cost allocation analysis using Excel and contributed to bank reconciliation.
- Collaborated with team members across the country to achieve success in the monthly closing process; recognized as a key contributor to our division’s performance for 14 months straight.
- Exceeded all project deadlines while adding new features using Excel, Access, and Microsoft Project software.
- Entered financial data into the company accounting database to be verified and reconciled.
- Managed and responded to all correspondence and inquiries from customers.
- Established a QuickBooks accounting system to reflect accurate financial records.
- Generated invoices upon receipt of billing information and tracked collection progress.
- Entered financial information and payments to guarantee that employees and vendors were paid accurately and on time.
- Post journal entries and reverse entries and perform general ledger accounting functions through QuickBooks.
- Perform P&L analysis by using balance sheets to keep tracking trends in assets and debts.
- Create activity diagrams to simplify and systemize the decision-making process of issuing 1099’s.
- Rotated weekly to different service lines such as Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable.
- Became an expertise of in house ERP within 2 weeks, create a step-by-step instruction for training new hires.
How to Become a Successful Accounting Intern?
All locations will require you to either be well experienced in the field of accounting or to have finished an education with a bachelor’s in accounting or finance. Some will be willing to hire you for the position of intern however so long as you are currently in your education and doing well.
Once you are hired you will work amongst a team of other interns, using collaboration to help you achieve the goals set by more experienced accountants. The others you work with will all be at your same experience level, and developing teamwork skills is crucial to showing you work well in a group.
You will be responsible for a great deal of record keeping and accurate calculations, so keeping neat, detailed records is a key to your success going forward. Losing track of important numbers and performing your calculations wrong can cost your client a lot of money in the long run.
Proving that you work well with others, keep good records, and are never sloppy with your math will prove to your employer that you have the skills they want to become a full accountant. After being promoted they will likely expect you to train other new hires, so make sure you are a good mentor to all future workers.
Due to the complexity of finances, most companies and even many individuals will seek out the guidance of an accountant to help them manage their budget, make important decisions with their money, and file their taxes accurately. An intern is a new worker in the field looking to gain valuable experience to learn how to operate on their own.
Hope these samples gave you an idea of what your resume should look like and some tips on how to make sure that your resume stands out from the rest.