A Junior Accountant is an employee who helps manage money in a company or for a firm. Typically, it involves balancing accounts and taking notes and statistics on the accounts. A junior accountant will need to give advice to higher up accountants and do specific work for them. It is important to have accurate Junior Accountants so that the information can be used in an accurate way. The average salary of a Junior Accountant is $47,000 per year.
How to Become a Successful Junior Accountant?
There are schooling and other requirements for becoming a junior accountant. It is important an aspiring Junior Accountant get a bachelor’s degree in financing or accounting.
Generally it is good to choose a path in business and then specialize in financing or accounting at the university.
It is usually good to have experience with accounting after college. A good way to do this is to apply for and receive an internship in accounting to learn about work environments and to get the experience needed for the position.
Accountants need to have strong mathematical skills as well as written and social skills. They are integral to a business and must be ready to communicate all aspects of the accounts they are following.
There are certain computer software systems that should be known. The most important basic software to know is spreadsheets and Microsoft word. These will aid in the applicant getting the job and succeeding in their career.
Through these steps it is very possible to get a good paying career from Junior Accounting.
After having experience with accounting, it is easy to move up, and the pay increases steadily throughout the employee’s career.
The Best Junior Accountant Resume Samples
These are some examples of job descriptions we have handpicked from real Junior Accountant resumes for your reference.
- Reviewed union employee contribution records for accuracy before impending external audits.
- Led a large reorganization of the filing system for commercial & residential tenants of The Meruelo Group’s numerous properties.
- Responsible for the recording of equipment transactions related to The Meruelo Group’s construction companies (Doty Brothers, Herman Weisker, Tidwell, Neal, & Select).
- Oversaw internal changes in the recording system at KDAY Radio Station to comply with new FCC standards.
- Maintains financial records for subsidiary companies by analyzing balance sheets and general ledger accounts.
- Posting and processing journal entries to ensure all business transactions are recorded.
- Assist financial manager in preparation of monthly and yearly closings.
- Update financial data in databases to ensure that information will be accurate and immediately available when needed.
- Created, analyzed and researched periodic reports comparing budgeted costs to actual costs resulting in accounting operations improvements.
- Optimized and managed research and development spending through collaboration with key business leaders.
- Reconciled discrepancies between accounts receivable, account payable, and bank general ledger account.
- Reported internal control issues to management and supplied comprehensive recommendations to mitigate the associated risks.
- Accelerated the Closing Lifecycle to Reduce the Length of the Process from 10 Days to 2 Days by formulating monthly schedules of daily tasks and allotted time investments, prioritizing projects/activities, communicating milestones, and remaining on target to meet the deadlines of company officers.
- Selected to Develop and Deliver Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable Training to Accounting Staff.
- Optimized the Collections Process and Maximized Efficiency Levels with the deployment of a new aging report that updated and retrieved critical data daily.
- Sourced suppliers, researched pricing, identified discount opportunities, resolved purchase order, contract, invoicing, and payment issues, performed inventory analysis/reconciliations, and negotiated competitive pricing with vendors.
- Interact with Senior Accountant on daily basis and assist in reviewing cost/production standards etc.
- Assist with monthly closing reports and the preparation of internal audit reports to include, working closely with external auditors to ensure the completion of timely audits.
- Assist with daily operations of the interoffice scheduling, packaging, warehouse and shipping departments.
- Trained and mentored new and existing employees on all ADP systems.
- Built productive relationships and served as an attentive and knowledgeable liaison and problem solver for managers and employees at all levels of the company; provided clear, concise information on paychecks, timekeeping, vacation availability, technology systems and administrative issues.
- Partnered with the Controller and other colleagues in meeting strict deadlines.
- Contribute as an effective team member by closely analyzing financial statements, prepare correcting journal entries and complete month end full processing.
- Spearhead individual duties by preparing and recording journal entries to include adjusting and reclassification into the general ledger.
- Positively impact organizational productivity by recording additions, transfers, dispositions and depreciation of fixed assets in accounting systems.
- Accept full responsibility for reconciling fixed asset accounts and ensuring accurate and complete data while maintaining optimal work productivity.
- Prepares asset, liability and capital account entries by compiling and analyzing account information.
- Reconciles financial discrepancies by collecting and analyzing accountant information.
- Preparing invoices, electronic payments, credit card payments and checks to customers.
- Summarizes current financial status by collecting information from balance sheet, income statement and other reports.
- Coding, processing and posting invoices for payment 3 way match.
- Review monthly financial reports, prepare financials for company and consolidated financials for subsidiaries.
- Prepare and/or review monthly financial and various detailed analyses and reconciliations calculating ratios, and comparing budget.
- Reconciles general and subsidiary bank accounts by gathering and balancing information.
- Provide financial status information by preparing special reports; completing special projects.
- Maintain general ledger accounts by reconciling accounts receivable detail and control accounts; adjusting entries for amortizations prepaid; analyzing and reconciling retainage and accounts payable ledgers; preparing fixed asset depreciation and accruals.
- Prepared invoice certifications monthly for senior accountants to edit the tax return.
- Managed the receipt and payment of cash and bank bills monthly to record bank cash journals.
- Processed +$2,000 worth of receipts and remittances from clients for the bank’s foreign exchange account on a weekly basis.
- Performed general accounting functions, including preparation of journal entries and balance sheet reconciliation.
- Accurately reconciled bank statements to clients’ books and prepared financial statements, payroll, monthly and quarterly reports as well as calculated and prepared payroll, assisted with sales taxes, payroll taxes and 1099.
- Monitored, recorded, and banked cash and checks as well as reconciled records of bank transactions.