A hairstylist is an individual who cuts or styles hair to help a customer achieve their desired look. They can trim the hair, color it, give it a new texture, or help the client maintain their hair health. From high end salons to corner barber shops, there are as many ways to be a hairstylist as there are to style hair.
How to Become a Successful Hair Stylist?
Obtain a high school diploma or a GED, as this is required for most degrees, as well as a minimum age of sixteen. You will then have the option of obtaining a degree from a cosmetology school, which will typically take about nine months to a year depending on the program.
If your state requires it, you will also need to obtain a license, which will require you to pass a skill test. This is often followed by requirements for you to stay up to date on laws and safety about styling hair to keep your license.
Look for employment at a salon or other locations to gain experience. Many hospitals and other locations look for new hairstylists to take care of their clients, which can allow you to obtain experience.
As many hairstylists are self employed, you can start your own business once you feel comfortable enough with your skills. Many hair stylists choose this path, and some and up running their own salons if they are skillful enough.
As you become more skilled, you can also specialize the services you provide or broaden your market. Different types of hair require different care, and more people will want your services if you have many different skills, so it’s important to keep practicing and educating yourself on what customers want and need.
The Best Hair Stylist Resume Samples
These are some examples of job descriptions we have handpicked from real Hairstylist resumes for your reference.
- Confer with customers by telephone or in person to provide information about products or services.
- Greet persons entering establishment, determine nature and purpose of visit, and direct or escort them to specific destinations.
- Schedule client appointments and maintain and update appointment calendars.
- Provided hair services such as cutting, coloring, foiling, bleaching, and custom styling.
- Resolved customer complaints in a timely and professional manner.
- Established strong client relationships to increase client retention and long term business.
- Certified as a Cosmetologist with more than 20 years of experience I provide beautification services for clients’ hair on a day-to-day basis.
- Strong and remarkable ability to cross-train to perform all services within a unisex salon operation such as, hair, and make-up applications.
- Ability to perform various hair treatment procedures as requested by clients of various ethnic backgrounds and temperaments.
- Added clip-in bangs and clip-in extensions to salon retail and service providers adding an additional revenue source.
- Researched vendors to successfully add Forever Smooth Keratin and Pravana Smooth Out Perfection, replacing high formaldehyde treatments.
- Worked with editors for salon editorial mentions in both print and online publications.
- Set up workstation and treatment room with necessary products, equipment and supplies.
- Performed make-up applications for everyday wear, bridal makeup, and special events.
- Gained extensive knowledge in proper uses of different make-up products and tools.
- Researched and studied the market regularly to stay up-to-date regarding new makeup techniques and beauty products.
- Cut, trimmed and shaped hair or hairpieces, based on customers’ instructions, hair type and facial features, using clippers, scissors, trimmers and razors.
- Analyzed patrons’ hair and other physical features to determine and recommend beauty treatment or suggest hair styles.
- Shampooed, rinsed, conditioned and dry hair and scalp or hairpieces with water, liquid soap, or other solutions.
- Consult with clients, address concerns and ensure satisfaction resulting in client retention.
- Develop monthly promotions and arrange community events such as charities and expos.
- Manage social media networks, maintain interaction with and keep clients informed/updated.
- Employed as a freelance hair stylist and make-up artist for MUD cosmetics.
- Specializing in hair extensions including cornrow tracking, invisible brading, strand bonding and hair bonding.
- Cut and styled, hair relaxer, hair coloring, Brazilian keratin treatment.
- Performed make-up applications for everyday wear, bridal make-up, and special events.
- Maintains supplies by checking stock; anticipating needs; placing orders; verifying receipt.
- Plans desired effect by studying facial features; examining potential styles; conferring with customer; making recommendations.
- Produces desired effect by arranging, shaping, curling, cutting, trimming, setting, bleaching, dyeing, and tinting hair.
- Maintains quality service by following organization standards and obtains revenue by recording or collecting charges.
- Providing services such as conditioning, bleaching, permanent waving and straightening the hair.
- Drying and styling the hair with combs, brushes, straightening irons and with some other equipment.
- Advising and recommending the clients on hair care, about the beauty products and provides technical assistance to the individuals.
- Attending the seminars and training for gaining the knowledge about the various techniques and products.
- Performed front end duties including greet clients, answer phones, book appointments, and cashiering.
- Assess customer needs and give advice about hair styles and product options.
- Organized customer promotions, distributed flyers and business cards outside of salon to generate new business.
- Performed hair style consultations to decide which services the client required.
- Cultivated and maintained client relationship and proactively developed new customers.
- Maintained safety standards and cleanliness, remained mobile, and utilized excellent interpersonal communication and customer service skills.