A fire lieutenant supervises a fire station and the administration of the fire company. Tasks include supervising hazardous material response, leading rescue operations and responses to public complaints, logging emergency calls and reports as well as overtime and injury reports, implementing department goals, conducting fire inspections, assuming the duties as officer in charge if they are first on the scene, and acting as Shift Supervisor in the absence of the Captain.
Qualifications include a firefighter certification, an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) license, as well as several years of work experience in a fire department. Fire lieutenants must be skilled in firefighting and fire inspection, serving as a liaison between the public and fellow firefighters, budget management and department administration, and possess excellent physical health and strength as well as a knowledge of fire protection systems and disaster control, report writing, and local, state, and national laws and fire and safety protocols.
For many people, writing a resume can be daunting. If you are working on your own, it is easy to become overwhelmed with the amount of information you need to include and how best to present yourself.
The sample resumes below provide great examples of how to write an effective resume.
The Best Fire Lieutenant Resume Samples
These are some examples of accomplishments we have handpicked from real Fire Lieutenant resumes for your reference.
Fire Lieutenant Resume Sample 1
- Supplemented already successful fire department with quick-thinking and innovative techniques while maintaining a high level of safety for the men in the company.
- Maintained composure while overseeing specific tasks within budget limitations during large scale emergencies, such as blazes and floods.
- Benefited the community by teaching CPR/AED awareness to community members through free seminars.
- Received recognition from peers and superiors at awards ceremonies for outstanding performance during multiple emergency situations.
- Directed rescue operations in dangerous areas beyond their jurisdictions with little supervision; managed operations without incident.
Fire Lieutenant Resume Sample 2
- Extinguished a fire in the home of an elderly couple as it spread from their chimney to the roof and ceiling.
- Assessed damage throughout house and identified needed repairs, re-inspected property after work completed, issued final documentation for reimbursement by insurance company.
- Led teams of four firefighters through homes on multiple occasions searching for trapped people and pets; successfully found all occupants and animals and received commendations from homeowners.
- Received distinction as Point Man during 2 week intensive training at National Fire Academy where skills were tested by live burning building exercises.
- Trained new firefighter recruits on required courses including self-defense, driving safety, CPR/AED applications, hazardous materials awareness, and fire suppression.
Fire Lieutenant Resume Sample 3
- Earned six “Expert” ratings during regular weapons firing test qualification.
- Deployed as a team player to prevent and suppress arson, mitigated fire damage by minimizing secondary disaster following alarm activation.
- Implemented emergency evacuation procedures, trained staff in emergency responses for hazardous conditions such as chemical spills and terror threats.
- Received departmental Achievement Medal for continuous service without any discipline or significant rule violation within the last 10 years.
- Promoted through ranks from Firefighter-Engineer to Fire Lieutenant after 15 years of continued contributions and achievements in performance evaluations.
Fire Lieutenant Resume Sample 4
- Conducted fire inspections of over 20 facilities to ensure compliance with state and local safety ordinances.
- Promoted to the rank of Fire Lieutenant after recruiting candidates, conducting background checks, supervising training programs for new recruits.
- Trained new firefighters on how to maintain fitness by organizing exercise drills in accordance with the firehouse’s established work-out program.
- Presided as team leader during dangerous rescue operations where firefighters frequently sustained bodily injury or death due to the violent nature of the work environment.
- Established rapport between community members and police officers through public outreach programs; successfully mediated arguments between angry merchants and law enforcement personnel.
Fire Lieutenant Resume Sample 5
- Promoted to the rank of Fire Lieutenant at 21 years old, earning it in less time than any other in department history.
- Organized the resources of a multi-unit fire department for successful deployment.
- Managed a budget in excess of 5 million dollars while preparing and creating daily reports on the status of departmental assets to ensure availability.
- Spearheaded a drug education program that significantly reduced youth exposure to illicit substances.
- Awarded life time key to city by former mayor, granted for heroism in saving three people from drowning during Hurricane Katrina flood.
Fire Lieutenant Resume Sample 6
- Responded to emergencies without regard for personal safety; forced open doors, directed people to safety.
- Distinguished by the company as a Firefighter of the Year and recommended for promotion to Captain after leading a team that saved a woman from certain death in a fast moving fire that began with a lightning strike just outside her house.
- Received appreciation letter from citizens who escaped incident due to actions of firefighters during an exceptional storm that claimed a total of 7 lives and left dozens injured.
- Received commendation from State Governor for exemplary leadership in successfully evacuating hundreds from two refugee camps following rioting in neighboring region.
- Received award as Field Officer of the year, having developed a new team of field officers who worked together to train countless personnel and manage daily tasks.
Fire Lieutenant Resume Sample 7
- Planned and supervised the training of disaster preparedness for community members in both English and Spanish languages.
- Promoted to the rank of Fire Lieutenant after leading the fire department in its response to several critical emergencies.
- Authored four articles for publication in respected field journals; these publications advanced the science and technology of emergency management, disaster preparedness, and community resilience.
- Led over 40 crew members in the protection of life and property during two major wildfire incidents; earned special commendation for exceptional service.
- Instructed classes in Incident Command System (ICS) at Fort Hood Emergency Management Institute (FMEI); certified ICS instructor.
Fire Lieutenant Resume Sample 8
- Trained over 2,000 firefighters and emergency responders in paramedic procedures and hazardous material response.
- Mentored and provided advice to new and junior members of the department to maintain a productive and effective company; won an award for teamwork excellence.
- Oversaw training equipment, inventories, personnel records, safety procedures, supply procurement, communications system maintenance, protocols for reporting fires and emergencies; acclaimed by Captain as “best firehouse ever.”
- Led search-and-rescue efforts during home explosion; given job offer from National Disaster Search Dog Foundation (SDF) to train rescue dogs. Qualified for SDF’s humanitarian award after successful completion of canine training.
- Saved lives in three noteworthy emergency responses including carjacking, hostage situation, and suicide attempt. Succeeded in defeating perpetrators without causing physical harm.
Fire Lieutenant Resume Sample 9
- Responded to over 450 emergency calls on first-due engine company.
- Inspected fire departments two stations for compliance with OSHA regulations including the testing of all portable fire extinguishers monthly.
- Promoted to Fire Lieutenant, developed a deeper understanding of departmental operations, policy development, and leadership.
- Forged relationships between local agency law enforcement divisions during three months of international travel conducting security seminars.
- Trained specialized units in advanced firefighting techniques after finishing certification training at University of Maryland Fire Training Center.
Fire Lieutenant Resume Sample 10
- Organized and implemented the company’s citizen academy.
- Supervised junior firefighters during an extra-alarm warehouse fire resulting in five million dollars in damage.
- Conducted numerous investigations into serious personal injury accidents that resulted in a reduction of insurance payouts, saving the department fifty thousand dollars annually.
- Promoted to Captain by saving the County thirty thousand dollars with the dissolution of a hazardous materials unit.
- Promoted to Battalion Chief by implementing new policies for firefighters’ job assignments, doubling equipment availability while reducing operating costs by over one hundred thousand dollars annually.
Resumes are a crucial aspect of any job search. In order to make a good first impression, it is important that your resume be formatted and written professionally. To create the perfect resume, think about what skills and qualities you want your future employer to see.
Hope these samples gave you an idea of what your resume should look like and some tips on how to make sure that your resume stands out from the rest.