A Cost Accountant performs accounting work. Their duties include analyzing product cost development, reviewing raw material costs, investigating reasons for variances, providing cost and margin analyses, developing data related to costs and margins and compiling reports.
For many, writing a resume can be daunting. If you are working on your own, it is easy to become overwhelmed with the amount of information you need to include and how best to present yourself.
The sample resumes below provide great examples of how to write an effective resume.
The Best Cost Accountant Resume Samples
These are some examples of accomplishments we have handpicked from real Cost Accountant resumes for your reference.
Cost Accountant Resume Sample 1
- Increased efficiency within the accounting department as programmer, bookkeeper, and payroll/accounting clerk.
- Integrated accounting and auditing system by performing data entry, outlining processes, and developing forms.
- Created and implemented cost analysis procedures to reduce costs of goods sold by 55%.
- Performed audit of 10 business entities’ financial results for compliance with government regulations.
- Received outstanding quality award for client services performed.
Cost Accountant Resume Sample 2
- Obtained a national computerized accounting system and provided outstanding, cost-effective accounting services in the area of public business.
- Identified causes of out-of-control cost increase, implemented measures to decrease costs, and identified areas for future emphasis.
- Maintained a 100% efficiency ratio; followed strict budget restrictions without sacrificing quality.
- Managed approximately six professional staff of four under supervision, with an average compensation rate of $55 per hour by standard managerial methods.
- Supervised the closing of a multimillion-dollar acquisition (acquisition net value increased by $4 million after acquisition) for an experienced international firm through superior team effort.
Cost Accountant Resume Sample 3
- Accurately completed complex accounting tasks; recognized by the Director of Accounting for excellence on the job.
- Correctly labeled and organized expense account forms for three departments.
- Collected, compiled, documented, and analyzed journal entries to prepare consolidations as requested by the CPA performing external audits.
- Concisely described scope of accounting services to new clients; increased clientele base by 40%.
- Successfully performed managerial position that required extensive knowledge of manipulation of financial software programs while coordinating daily activities with staff of twelve employees at a regional branch office.
Cost Accountant Resume Sample 4
- Learned accounting methods and principles, using various software to perform bookkeeping and payroll functions.
- Earned recognition as a highly motivated professional with a high level of proficiency in the applied knowledge and techniques of cost accounting.
- Identified cost effective methods of reducing costs at the college by implementing controls and procedures to reduce costs using internal controls.
- Assisted the controller in developing new processes for controlling time, materials, personnel, information security and other critical functions within the organization.
- Successfully implemented client billing system at a new college project which resulted in a 60% savings over previous system implementation date.
Cost Accountant Resume Sample 5
- Received All-Star award for establishing cost-saving procedures that reduced annual office expenditures by 10%.
- Awarded a bonus for reducing the company’s annual audit by 25 hours.
- Established more effective project controls by implementing new budgeting and grant tracking systems during the Department of Transportation grant proposal.
- Recognized as an exceptional team player when coordinating office duties with other departments regarding vendor payments.
- Achieved a problem-solving reputation after resolving monthly billing discrepancies.
Cost Accountant Resume Sample 6
- Assisted in the preparation of an audit covering internal control issues that was conducted by a nationally recognized firm.
- Presided over meetings as Secretary of the Finance and Audit Committee, which supported monthly meetings with internal and external stakeholders.
- Initiated significant changes in the cost accounting procedures for new accounts to improve accuracy and efficiency.
- Prepared resumes and application materials for new job opportunities; communicated effectively with peers, supervisors, and human resources personnel.
- Managed several projects at complex level without direct supervision to improve cost accounting procedures for existing accounts.
Cost Accountant Resume Sample 7
- Oversaw costing of a $400,000.00 water treatment plant and managed the process, which was documented in the city’s engineering department.
- Initiated and successfully completed work order integration for the city accounting system resulting in $100,000 of annual savings to the city.
- Developed and managed a cost per mile rate for transportation that was accepted by county commissioners as the standard for funding.
- Increased department efficiency from 64% to 98% within one year through training, education, and motivative leadership techniques.
- Educated the public on cost accounting and auditing principles.
Cost Accountant Resume Sample 8
- Trained and mentored junior accountant to provide assistance with accounting functions to a staff of five accountants.
- Promoted effective time management by requesting staff to set priorities and by preparing daily computerized reports.
- Assisted the Chief Accountant in the review, analysis, and preparation of profit/loss statements.
- Collaborated with staff accountant, an external CPA firm, and senior management to successfully overcome major obstacles that resulted in a fiscal year-end audit without any material issue.
- Implemented new software system resulting in significant cost savings for the company; recognized for strong professional performance by senior management.
Cost Accountant Resume Sample 9
- Reduced monthly allowable expenses in the company’s production department by 15% by streamlining the paperwork process and reducing the time between submission of receipts and distribution of payments.
- Handled banking, journalizing, and account reconciliations with Texas Commerce Bank.
- Implemented an automated system to increase accuracy of cost reporting; designed software to allow financial data entry directly into computer databases.
- Designed computer programs for micro-management of distribution center’s three branches; improved accounting operations.
- Trained new hires in office procedures; decreased backlogs by creating a streamlined shipping-receiving departmental form.
Cost Accountant Resume Sample 10
- Increased the company’s gross profit by determining the best price to charge for products according to demand.
- Recognized for outstanding performance; effectively balanced monthly budget reports and conducted monthly bank reconciliations.
- Earned trust and acknowledgement; performed cost analysis of departmental materials, determined cost classifications, and accurately calculated unit costs.
- Exhibited extensive knowledge of software programs; produced accurate reports on hardware, software, operational costs, and staffing levels.
- Accurately determined inventory losses with resulting savings in excess of $10,000 annually.
Cost Accountant Resume Sample 11
- Accounted for all costs incurred in an application software development business, including salaries, wages, expenses, supplies and equipment.
- Achieved award for achieving zero over-budget by maintaining strict control over costs of new software products.
- Maintained the accuracy of ledgers and bank reconciliations for accounts payable in a business with $12 million in annual revenue.
- Provided cost effective solutions to manufacturing and distribution problems within a service business with $15 million in annual revenue.
- Resolved transaction authorizations needed to finalize multi-million dollar construction contracts in a service industry with $25 million in annual revenue.
Cost Accountant Resume Sample 12
- Performed and supervised the training, development, and review of company cost accounting procedures; reviewed current, past, and prospective business contracts.
- Prepared all tax monthly financial statements for the District in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Created a complete annual budget allowing each department to develop an appropriate resource allocation plan, thereby maximizing funds available to accomplish budgets; utilized this plan to meet or exceed budgets while maintaining excellent customer service and financial integrity.
- Administered employee benefit programs such as 401(k)s and health insurance; successfully negotiated with local businesses for discounts, employee participation programs.
- Prepared annual and quarterly financial statements, analyzed data and personally oversaw audits.
To work as a Cost Accountant you must have a Bachelor’s degree in finance or accounting. To be successful as a Cost Accountant you must be detail oriented, have a complex understanding of mathematics, excellent time management skills, be able to perform well under pressure, meet strict deadlines, have excellent accounting abilities and verbal and written communications skills.
Resumes are a crucial aspect of any job search. In order to make a good first impression, it is important that your resume be formatted and written professionally. To create the perfect resume, think about what skills and qualities you want your future employer to see.
Hope these samples gave you an idea of what your resume should look like and some tips on how to make sure that your resume stands out from the rest.