An author is responsible for writing, editing, and marketing content under the direction of an Editor. Duties include researching topics to write about, conducting interviews with sources, writing articles, editing editorials, fact-checking content for accuracy, submitting work to the Editor in a timely manner, and using social media to engage with readers. Communication skills are key in this role, but the top skills for this position are communication, copyediting, editing content, social media engagement, marketing, and web content. A bachelor’s degree is required for this position along with experience in writing or journalism.
The Best Author Resume Samples
These are some examples of accomplishments we have handpicked from real Author resumes for your reference.
- Saved refinery an average of $34k per month and increased vessel throughput by 4 vessels per month by implementing a new vetting and scheduling strategy.
- Created, edited, and controlled the distribution of operating procedures and work rotas for laboratory and sampling staff.
- Communicated with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures in person and via international conference calls.
- Exhibited calligraphy in various events including the International Sports Institute arena, World’s Largest Midnight Basketball Tournament, World Class Boxing Tournaments, and International Civil Rights Seminar.
- Authored several books for young adults and children that informed on a wide range of topics including personal development, growing up in an urban community, and cultural differences.
- Published one novel, in addition to several more manuscripts completed.
- Harnessed self-discipline in order to stay on task and continue my work.
- Completed six manuscripts to date, each numbering over 150,000 words.
- Spoke at various conferences on diversity issues, multiculturalism, and social responsibility.
- Collaborated with the Philadelphia News Co-op on the development of a digital newsroom (News.CoOp).
- Wrote efficiently under strict deadlines for a wide variety of topics including technology, medicine, and business.
- Utilized keywords specified by clients to optimize search results for articles.
- Consistently achieved the highest possible author rating for the entire duration of employment.
- Commanded a reader audience of 250,000 while working as a columnist for three regional and national newspapers.
- Earned appreciation as a newspaper editor; creating an atmosphere of fun, creativity, and prosperity in the newspaper office.
- Interact with subject matter experts to ensure that quality content is created, reviewed, and updated as appropriate.
- Support operational processes in order to facilitate workflow in a collaborative, efficient, and timely manner.
- Responsible for maintaining established web design best practices, technologies, and resources.
- Wrote articles that were published in several literary journals and books.
- Proposed new column topics and concepts for three national magazines.
- Founded Logic Central Online is a community awareness effort for linking college students to mentors and scholarship funding sources.
- Composed a book and leadership curriculum for universities which is currently offered by Logic Central Online.
- Contribute to Logic Central Online by producing a twice-a-week podcast for university-age students.
- Achieved award as the best journalist from several local organizations.
- Started and published an online newsletter covering breaking news in the entertainment industry.
- Manage the Business Process workgroups in the delivery and integration of the ICD-10 impacts to the organization.
- Develop strategic risk mitigation strategies and processes addressing known and unknown risk impacts.
- Organize the technical and business teams with workout sessions to create the integrated project road map where key milestones and dependencies are identified for tracking.
- Wrote a query letter and pitched a story idea to the Editor-in-Chief, who later assigned me to write a feature article entitled “How to Get Published.”
- Interviewed several artists from countries around the world for stories that were published in several trade magazines.
- Directed/Coordinated marketing events to promote upcoming magazine releases.
- Worked with the communications team to drive internal programs, initiative, guiding principles, and mission.
- Developed and implemented campaigns for email, online, and search engines.
- Maintained an active blog on popular social networking sites; received over five million hits per month.
- Responded and quoted in an article titled “Diseases of Wealth,” published by a major newspaper, which focused on obesity as America’s most serious health crisis and was subsequently redistributed by Associated Press.
- Maintain access to a premium audience of more than 6.5 million unique business readers as well as maintain world-class entrance to major media outlets.
- Networking with business professionals within the financial community as well as provide.
- Gold standard certification as a high-quality author with full compliance certification.
- Conducted a fact-finding interview with the Mayor of Topeka, Kansas, in the newsroom after his election to office.
- Wrote and published an eight-page newspaper article on the need for re-education in the schools of Topeka, Kansas; estimated circulation reached over 60,000 readers.
- Contributing member of the development team for a new product: business skills training materials.
- Researched topics using the Internet, books, and relevant software and training materials.
- Organized research into training curriculum and individual lessons and chapters.
- Wrote training materials for the following topics: e-mail etiquette, business writing, presentation skills, verbal communication, phone etiquette, sexual harassment, new employee orientation, and employee training.
- Published a six-page newspaper article on efforts to ban smoking in restaurants and bars; based on findings from research conducted at City Hall.
- Reviews submit for approval and revise written material to meet personal standards and satisfy the needs of the client or publisher.
- Select subject or theme for writing project based on personal interests and writing specialty, or assignment from client or publisher.
- Develop factors, such as theme, plot, characterization, psychological analysis, historical environment, action, and dialogue to create material.
- Reported on timely issues including neighborhood crime prevention, school bond votes, local elections outcomes, and city/county government spending issues.
- Earned national attention for my five best-selling biographical books, which include a bestselling historical novel.
- Came up with ideas and completed two full-length fiction novels and a novella to date in addition to a few more full-length novels that are currently in various stages of the drafting process.
- Proofread and complete several rounds of edits consisting of going line by line through the document in conjunction with the actual editor.
- Market using blogs and other websites, and reach out and interact with potential readers with social media.
- Won national awards as a featured author of 1,000,000 Advances: African American Writing and Publishing in the 21st Century and 3,000,000 More Words: African American Writing and Publishing in the 21st Century.
- Won awards for historical fiction with Captured Dreams from The Society of Midland Authors.
- Participate in a monthly, themed group post organized by The Recipe ReDux.
- Manage and promote the site through social media outlets including Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
- Recipes and photographs have been featured on Buzzfeed, REDBOOK Magazine’s website, Daily.
- Interviewed notable recording artists for news stories for Black Music Magazine.
- Worked as a reporter for three nationally distributed magazines; authored numerous feature articles.
How to Become a Successful Author?
There are no educational requirements to become an author, but you will need to have a very solid grasp of the language you want to write in as well as the rules it follows, and a good way to get this is with a bachelor’s in the language in question or a degree in some form of creative writing.
How you start working depends on you, but few authors just go ahead and publish their full length novel straight away. You will want to gain experience with shorter novels or small articles that can be published online or in magazines, and these will help get your name out in the field.
Being consistent as key, as constant practice keeps your skills sharp and your production high. You always want to be producing as much high quality material as often as possible, as this will help you have more to sell and keep you working at a fast and profitable pace for the future.
What you want to specialize in depends entirely on you, a d you can look for openings in the field of creative writing through stories or poems, journalism in the form of stories or news articles, or whatever type you finds suites you and your particular talents best for the future of your career.
From quick articles to massive best selling novels, reading is very good business and authors have a wide array of avenues to choose from. They can work independently writing and selling their works or team up with a publishing house to sell the work they are paid to write, or they can do smaller jobs for different people.
Hope these samples gave you an idea of what your resume should look like and some tips on how to make sure that your resume stands out from the rest.