From published novels of considerable length to quick articles online, writing is produced and published every day by authors that needs to be reviewed before it can ever reach the customers. Proofreaders receive the writing first and use their excellent grasp of the language and its rules to recommend changes that will make the writing more accurate and enjoyable to read.
How to Become a Successful Proofreader?
A degree in some form of literature is required by most companies or individuals seeking a proofreader, and that can be an associate or a bachelors degree in English or journalism, or another field like creative writing which will teach you the basics. Occasionally you can substitute your own experience for education.
When seeking employment, it is important that you already have knowledge of editorial software so you can begin quickly. Most employers will want a sample of your written work so they can see what kind of time your writing has, as they may be looking to guide their piece to sound a certain way to the reader.
You can decide whether you wish to work for one corporation or freelance your skills to aspiring writers online, as both have different benefits to offer depending on what kind of schedule you are looking for and what kind of work you want to be doing, especially if you need a particular type of setting to be comfortable.
Once you have chosen your preferred method of work, keeping to deadlines will be crucial in the field as work needs to be submitted promptly and correctly for publishing once it is done. If you can work to increase your reading speed, that will help you to get through manuscripts faster and enable you to get more done.
The Best Proofreader Resume Samples
These are some examples of job descriptions we have handpicked from real Proofreader resumes for your reference.
- Used standard proofer’s marks to indicate changes to be made on documents.
- Compared original with revised documents to ensure requested revisions were done.
- Interacted with the Document Processing Supervisor regarding job status and kept work log.
- Proofreads financial documents and correspondence for edits, spacing and formatting.
- Works within the composition department to ensure all documentation is precise.
- Proofreads statements, quarterly reports, compliance documents, prospectuses and shareholder summaries while reviewing graphics and financial tables for accuracy.
- Checks retail, pharmaceutical and corporate documents and literature for the department.
- Corrected grammatical, content, punctuation, and hyphenation based errors.
- Consulted with company checklist and infrastructure to ensure optimal quality work.
- Used effective and efficient judgment to scrutinize accuracy in monthly and annual catalogs.
- Proofread high profile, high priority, confidential information in a fast-paced environment (meeting tight-deadlines without sacrificing quality).
- Ensured that there was proper grammar, spelling, syntax and style in all documents while using standard proofreaders’ marks.
- Managed the proofreading queue; coordinated workflow; organized archived mark-ups.
- Executes perfect quality output in compliance documents for corporate clients.
- Accomplishes spot-on quarterly and yearly financial reports for shareholders of varied corporations ensuring consistency, style, design, color choice and presentation.
- Identifies and corrects all spelling, grammar and composition errors in typesetter output.
- Verifies financial tables and graphics are accurate and correctly formatted for HTML applications.
- Copy editing manuscripts, page proofs, and galleys in all pre-publication stages.
- Proofreading and fact-checking electronic and hard copy text at all stages of the production cycle.
- Assisting with administrative duties, including maintaining course databases, setting up author and client online user accounts, brochure inventory management, and coordinating and completing large-scale marketing mailings.
- Mark copy to indicate and correct errors in type, arrangement, grammar, punctuation, or spelling, using standard printers’ marks.
- Read corrected copies or proofs to ensure that all corrections have been made.
- Compare information or figures on one record against same data on other records, or with original copy, to detect errors.
- Consult reference books or secure aid of readers to check references with rules of grammar and composition.
- Responsible for proofreading accuracy of all components, including detailed discographies and liner notes for CDs, Vinyl, DVDs, Blu-rays, Singles and Box Set releases.
- Coordinated all revisions through stages of development, including laser printouts, mechanicals and final color proofs.
- Interacted daily as liaison with Product Management, Creative Services, A&R, Label Copy, and Production Departments.
- Consistently provided excellent service as a Freelance Proofreader.
- Ensured that documents were proofread for spelling, content and style errors and corrected to tight deadlines.
- Effectively worked as part of a team providing relief and support when required as well as working effectively on an individual basis.
- Work closely with the Executive Creative Director to structure internal brand and copy quality processes.
- Train the agency’s project management team on the fundamentals of proofreading and process improvements.
- Support the trafficking of materials through the QA Process, within a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Transcribe medical exam reports so they can be given back to the patient for treatment including MRIs, CTs, Bone Scans, injections, ultrasounds, and X-Rays.
- Maintain quick turn-around time to get proper treatment for the patient.
- Ongoing knowledge of medical terminology, grammar, and punctuations is mandatory.
- Corrected mystery shops for clients in a wide range of industries, adjusting to different demands and objectives.
- Edited shopper text to highlight most pertinent information for varying scenarios, and streamlined information for easier client consumption.
- Brainstormed with management and team members to develop new forms, improving efficiency and decreasing errors.
- Regularly attained top marks in measured metrics, including overall project time, completion percentage, and project efficiency.