A maintenance worker is someone who helps take care of a building by repairing any problems it might have and making everything is up to date and working. A maintenance worker is a bit different from a maintenance man because they usually work with other maintenance workers and work for a specific company or building.
How to Become a Successful Maintenance Worker?
Have a high school diploma or a GED but depending on the employer you may not have to have one either. If you have experience in woodworking, plumbing, repairing or a related field that is an advantage for your career as a maintenance worker.
Many maintenance workers don’t have experience when they start out and gain experience from other experienced maintenance workers who teach them. They start out by first having them observe how they fix and repair things.
Then as time goes on they have them help them with easy repairs and then they start to give them easy repairs to complete by themselves. Another way to get experience is to take reapir courses at a community college or trade school.
To be a successful maintenance worker you need to pay attention to detail, have repair experience and know how to maintain a building. You can also become a maintenance manager after being a maintenance worker; which is someone who supervises maintenance workers and does other tasks related to maintenance.
The Best Maintenance Worker Resume Samples
These are some examples of job descriptions we have handpicked from real Maintenance Worker resumes for your reference.
- Troubleshoots minor maintenance problems involving electrical, structural, plumbing, and equipment repair or replacement.
- Performs routine plumbing repairs such as unstopping toilets, sinks or urinals, fixing water leaks, leaking faucets, and water fountains.
- Performs routine electrical repairs such as changing light bulbs or fluorescent lamps and assists in repairs.
- Described merchandise and explain use, operation, and care of merchandise to customers.
- Recommended, selected, and helped locate or obtained merchandise based on customer needs and desires.
- Computed sales prices, totaled purchases and received and processed cash or credit payment.
- Maintained knowledge of current sales and promotions, policies regarding payment and exchanges, and security practices.
- Performed daily maintenance responsibilities to include: buffing and stripping floors, maintained elevators, masonry work, light electric and plumbing work.
- Maintained excellent customer service rapport with tenants.
- Manned lobby desk, answered phone calls, and assisted tenants entering and leaving the building.
- Implemented strategies to prioritize tasks in such a way that projects would be completed in a timely fashion.
- Performed higher level maintenace tasks such as aiding in the installation of air condition ers, painting, moving, etc.
- Worked alongside students in the special needs program and provided them assistance when needed.
- Processed and responded to maintenance requests, and escalated specialized requests to electrical, plumbing, and HVAC technicians.
- Kept lounges, elevators, stairwells, labatories, laundry facilities, common areas, and waste disposal areas clean and organized.
- Repaired or replaced plumbing fixtures, light figures and switches, ballasts, doors and hardware, windows and screens, and floor covering, including tile, hardwood, laminate, or carpeting.
- Patched, painted, and finished hard surfaces, and changed air conditioning filters as routine maintenance.
- Buff and ,Auto Scrub and Shampoo rugs Clean and sweep the grounds.
- Heavy trash and snow removal ensure the security of the entire facilty, which included production equipment and outside perimeter.
- Help the improvement in staff retention due to the success in maintenance of securing the facility which enabled employee-development and morale-building.
- Evaluated guest-satisfaction; ensured the swift resolution of guess/customer issues to preserve customer loyalty while complying with company policies.
- Pruned shrubs and trees to shape and improve growth and general appearance.
- Manicured lawns, trimmed and edged around sidewalks using hand and power mowers, weed cutters and edging tools.
- Repaired fences, gates, walls and walks, using carpentry and masonry tools.
- Responsible for maintaining a safe and clean environment for all NYC Parks patrons.
- Utilized a high powered buffing machine to ensure a professional appearance in government buildings.
- Maintained the ground at the Nature Center to ensure the area was kept clean and presentable.
- Helped with any handy-man necessities in the buildings or on the grounds.
- Collected and took out the trash from garbage cans around the property.
- Painted and helped make the gallery areas of the museum presentable to the liking of the gallery director.
- Perform routine preventive maintenance to ensure that machines continue to run smoothly, building systems operate efficiently, or the physical condition of buildings does not deteriorate.
- Repair or replace defective equipment parts, using hand tools and power tools, and reassemble equipment.
- Provide grounds keeping services such as mowing and landscaping.
- Oversee temporary staff workers during summer to facilitate the cleaning and maintenance of off-campus housing.
- Serve as a liaison between secretaries and immediate supervisors to facility repairs of damages within assigned academic buildings.
- Worked closely with chefs and food service generalist to prepare cuisines for university, presidential, and private functions.
- Oversaw temporary staff workers during functions through the assignment of tasks to facilitate proper delivery of service in a timely, customer-friendly manner.
- Maintained facility by way of vacuuming, sweeping, scrubbing, stripping, sealing, polishing and mopping of finished floors.
- Set up, moved and arranged heavy furniture, decorations, building equipment and supplies for faculty events.
- Notified managers of supply usage and demand, major repairs and building operating system.
- Mix water and detergents or acids in containers to prepare cleaning solutions, according to specifications.
- Follow procedures for the use of chemical cleaners and power equipment to prevent damage to floors and fixtures.
- Monitor building security and safety by performing such tasks as locking doors after operating hours and checking electrical appliance use to ensure that hazards are not created.