A Hospital Social Worker counsels patients and their families in a hospital. Duties include assessing the patient when they are admitted, complying with state laws and regulations, screening patients for problems, providing case management, monitoring medications, developing community support, and finding treatment options.
For many, writing a resume can be daunting. If you are working on your own, it is easy to become overwhelmed with the amount of information you need to include and how best to present yourself.
The sample resumes below provide great examples of how to write an effective resume.
The Best Hospital Social Worker Resume Samples
These are some examples of accomplishments we have handpicked from real Hospital Social Worker resumes for your reference.
Hospital Social Worker Resume Sample 1
- Provided individual and family counseling to patients and their families regarding the social, emotional, and psychological impact of disease and its treatment.
- Analyzed the effectiveness of drug therapies in reducing symptoms of anxiety, depression, insomnia, etc.; provided education to patients on medication usage.
- Assisted in the admission of patients to the hospital for a variety of procedures such as surgery; comforted pre-operative and post-operative patients.
- Coached coping skills by teaching patients relaxation techniques such as music therapy or meditation to relieve stress resulting from chronic pain or illness.
- Provided bereavement counseling to families whose loved ones had died.
Hospital Social Worker Resume Sample 2
- Assessed medical and social histories of hospitalized patients to determine eligibility for admission and financial assistance.
- Conducted individual patient assessments to assess needs and recommend treatment plans.
- Obtained initial consent for admission and financial assistance for patients by interacting with family members.
- Ensured that all clinical documentation was accurate, updated, and verifiable.
- Promoted patient care by effectively communicating with physicians, nurses, social workers, support staff, case managers, and families of patients.
Hospital Social Worker Resume Sample 3
- Assessed the needs of the patient, family, and staff and made appropriate referrals as necessary.
- Created a team spirit in the unit, by promoting participation in programs, demonstrating techniques through demonstrations and workshops, and providing quality feedback.
- Strongly encouraged staff to seek outside education opportunities.
- Mentored new social workers by sharing knowledge of proper procedures and techniques.
- Demonstrated appropriate social skills, knowledge of the system, and ability to communicate with residents, families, and staff.
Hospital Social Worker Resume Sample 4
- Researched the background of patients who were unusually hostile or agitated.
- Assisted in the development of individualized plans for aggressive and non-aggressive patients to assist them in improving their state of health and living situation.
- Trained in the implementation of therapeutic interventions, including medication prescriptions.
- Assisted in crisis situations with patients by providing counseling, factual information, and referrals to community resources.
- Created a monthly calendar to track activities with hostile and non-aggressive patients’ families; prepared written reports after each visit with family members.
Hospital Social Worker Resume Sample 5
- Embraced the role model attitude of professional social workers by displaying interest in those around me and demonstrating professionalism in my own interactions.
- Helped patients engage in meaningful discussion of their illness and understanding.
- Achieved recognition as a San Mateo County’s “Top Social Worker” by promoting patient satisfaction, providing individualized treatment plans, and working with staff to develop new health care delivery systems.
- Began working at the Hospital in order to give back to the community which had given me so much.
- Received recognition award for having been a positive role model for patient relations; provided exceptionally high-quality care for patients as well as for employees.
Hospital Social Worker Resume Sample 6
- Assisted disoriented patients and families by providing accurate information in a supportive manner.
- Gathered patient demographic data and important medical history data for computer processing.
- Accurately completed hospital admission forms for patients admitted to the hospital.
- Resolved family conflict; assisted families in identifying care options that best meet their needs.
- Obtained signature from patient or consent from an immediate family member for the release of confidential medical records as required by law.
Hospital Social Worker Resume Sample 7
- Provided patients and their families with emotional support, crisis intervention, and coordination of medical care.
- Worked closely with hospital medical staff to ensure timely and appropriate delivery of care.
- Educated patients about treatment options and the dangers of drug abuse; counseled patients who were abusing drugs.
- Developed creative ways to educate high-risk youth about the risks associated with drug abuse, alcohol abuse, and HIV/AIDs.
- Assisted newly diagnosed HIV/AIDs patients in coping with the disease through education sessions regarding available medications, surgical options, counseling services, nutrition needs, and side effects of medication.
Hospital Social Worker Resume Sample 8
- Aided in the mental and emotional well-being of patients and visitors.
- Analyzed the effects of patients’ opinions on the physicians’ decisions.
- Planned, created, and initiated a program to improve morale for veteran staff members who had recently lost a loved one in the line of duty.
- Retroactively re-evaluated reviews that were written for doctors, nurses, patient aides, and volunteers to ensure accurate representation of their opinions.
- Gave feedback to staff on their interactions with patients, in order to improve patient/visitor interactions.
Hospital Social Worker Resume Sample 9
- Developed a therapeutic program that would benefit each patient’s individual needs.
- Assisted in the development of a social skills plan for patients who were socially inept.
- Promoted by word-of-mouth, and proved that positive attitude is more effective than negative attitude to improve the self-esteem of the patient.
- On an average day, I helped 20 patients at one time by listening to their concerns, concerns about themselves and treating them in a non-judgemental manner.
- I helped patients by assisting them in setting goals for themselves and for family members.
Hospital Social Worker Resume Sample 10
- Worked with patients and families to ensure the needs were being met and that their rights were being upheld.
- Researched and wrote letters to government agencies and insurance providers regarding patients’ rights to receive healthcare coverage.
- Partnered with other agencies, individuals, families, and organizations to provide client-centered care.
- Provided crisis intervention services and worked closely with other social workers to develop discharge plans for patients and their family members.
- Responded appropriately when patients experienced grief or anxiety due to terminal or chronic illnesses.
Hospital Social Worker Resume Sample 11
- Admitted patients in ER or ICU and ensured that all pertinent information regarding the patient or family was included in their file.
- Established rapport by providing accurate information to anyone who needed assistance.
- Researched patients’ medical records, pensions, and life histories to develop detailed case notes for social workers who referred cases to me; made referrals of patients to community agencies based on my knowledge of local resources and availability.
- Worked with family members of deceased patients, arranged memorial services for them and managed expectations for them.
- Commented on potential problems within the hospital as well as possible solutions to these problems based on my extensive knowledge of the hospital’s operations.
Hospital Social Worker Resume Sample 12
- Developed positive organizational, interpersonal, and self-development skills with hospitalized children and adults during one 1-year assignment.
- Cared for patients as they dealt with medical issues (pain, disease, arthritis) including family/caregiver stress.
- Established positive therapeutic relationships with patients, family/caregiver groups, and staff.
- Identified needs of patients, families/caregivers, and staff.
- Developed new programs for patient education after discharge from hospitalization.
Hospital Social Worker Resume Sample 13
- Defined the scope of a troubling case and designed a treatment plan to improve the client’s condition.
- Reduced hospital stay by referring clients to alternative care providers for additional treatment programs.
- Gained trust of the patient by encouraging participation in a treatment program through open dialogue.
- Encouraged patient compliance with doctor’s orders through clear and concise instructions; identified areas of strength and weakness in patient’s condition through individualized attention.
- Confidence builder; inspired confidence inpatient by recognizing abilities, encouraging participation, and communicating clearly throughout the treatment process.
A bachelor’s degree in social work is required for this job, although some hospitals require a master’s degree. You will also need a LCSW license. Skills needed to perform this job are integrity, attention to detail, empathy, good math, and computer skills, problem-solving skills, interpersonal skills, and excellent communication skills.
Resumes are a crucial aspect of any job search. In order to make a good first impression, it is important that your resume be formatted and written professionally. To create the perfect resume, think about what skills and qualities you want your future employer to see.
Hope these samples gave you an idea of what your resume should look like and some tips on how to make sure that your resume stands out from the rest.