Geographical information systems (GIS) managers manage daily operations of a large team of information technology (IT) workers who produce geographical data by using their knowledge of specialized computer systems. Their duties consist of business development, database management, spatial analysis, managing staff, managing a diverse GIS portfolio, and reporting work progress and budget matters to clients. To work as a GIS Manager you must complete a bachelor’s degree in construction science, construction management, architecture, engineering or complete Geographic Information Systems Professional (GISP) certification,you need at least 4 years of full-time experience in the field of GIS.Geographical information systems (GIS) managers must show organisation, public speaking, budget management, business management, spatial analysis, database management, and cartography skills.
For many people, writing a resume can be daunting. If you are working on your own, it is easy to become overwhelmed with the amount of information you need to include and how best to present yourself.
The sample resumes below provide great examples of how to write an effective resume.
The Best GIS Manager Resume Samples
These are some examples of accomplishments we have handpicked from real GIS Manager resumes for your reference.
GIS Manager Resume Sample 1
- Supervised the day-to-day activities of a GIS department including budget oversight, staff development and customer service.
- Developed new projects to aid in the reduction of crime through mapping and spatial analysis.
- Illuminated project’s objectives to meet company goals with tailored presentations to investors, stakeholders, and project managers.
- Presented research findings at an international conference about how small businesses can use GIS technology to extend their marketing reach for economic development.
- Reduced survey costs by six percent after developing procedures for field crew to fully utilize GPS equipment for data collection validation.
GIS Manager Resume Sample 2
- Provided 24/7 on-call GIS support to over 200 users at 5 different agencies.
- Developed and implemented new software tools which increased workflow efficiency up to 50%.
- Mapped countywide disaster response routes for public safety; recognized by the County Administrator as a valuable asset.
- Identified several work process improvements for agency, saving taxpayer dollars.
- Advocated integrated Business intelligence via collaborative efforts with the CIO and the State’s DOT GeoCenter Director.
GIS Manager Resume Sample 3
- Enabled over 1,000 surveyors, engineers, and planners to complete their jobs more efficiently by creating a high-speed GIS data transfer network.
- Streamlined the company’s business processes using Esri technology after reducing management time from several hours per week to under one hour a month.
- Managed projects across five continents that have totaled over $70 million in revenue.
- Conceived and designed systems used for transoceanic distribution of terabytes of earth observation data to Africa, Australia, Eastern Europe, Central America, and the Caribbean Islands.
- Promoted responsible public policies through development of software used by federal government agencies such as NASA and USGS.
GIS Manager Resume Sample 4
- Administered a GIS application that integrated map data from multiple sources into a centralized database.
- Orchestrated the development of model-driven report applications capable of automatically generating printable maps and associated retrievals for user specifications.
- Managed an information technology team including one junior, two mid-level, and four senior analysts.
- Devised procedures to audit the accuracy of GIS mapping systems against primary source documentation in accordance with federal regulations.
- Provided automated operational support 24x7x365 to a regional law enforcement agency’s search and rescue system.
GIS Manager Resume Sample 5
- Identified and reported problem areas relating to the department’s performance, which resulted in an improved level of service to citizens.
- Provided guidance to staff on proper data field procedures for ensuring quality information in GIS.
- Modernized all spatial data in order to better manage city resources using latest technology available including ESRI software, LIDAR, aerials/satellite imaging.
- Pioneered digital media projects within department that enhanced efficiency by creating maps highlighting tax zones, zoning districts, historic building locations, underground utilities.
- Managed team of two technicians for one year; reduced calls from 20 per day to 14 per week with increased documentation and cross training resulting in long term cost savings.
GIS Manager Resume Sample 6
- Ensured accuracy of all GIS data by field verifying with the customer, reviewing aerial photos.
- Maintained accurate geographic location using global positioning systems during field work for mapping new homes, schools, offices, roads, etc.
- Supervised GIS staff in designing maps and databases of city information.
- Provided expertise on ArcGIS software to other companies by telephone support assistance and personal assistance to end-user departments.
- Developed procedures for the capture and digitizing of building footprints from hardcopy paper maps.
GIS Manager Resume Sample 7
- Presided over $2 million dollar budget, $500 thousand in annual revenue, and 25 employees.
- Identified cost savings of $40,000 by consolidating GIS data storage onto standard rack servers using open source software.
- Improved the level of service to City Council by promptly fulfilling requests for building information models.
- Provided accurate information for use in the legislative process through digital maps, statistics, and other geographic relevant tools.
- Developed five new web applications that provide public transparency into city processes including project tracking report cards.
GIS Manager Resume Sample 8
- Developed, centralized and updated GIS data to be utilized by both internal staff as well as interested third party customers.
- Managed the organization’s GIS investment and performed financial analysis of new systems and modules.
- Directed development of master plan for countywide comprehensive land use information system, including coordination with multiple agencies and public hearings.
- Spearheaded inter-departmental project team; developed procedures using cutting edge technology for post disaster emergency response support.
- Created GIS roadmap for department; developed goals/objectives of future projects integrating city departments’ needs with available funds.
GIS Manager Resume Sample 9
- Designed and implemented GIS security model by evaluating compliance policies, system limitations, and permissions.
- Improved distributed database performance through indexing, query optimization, spatial data storage configuration, server setup automation.
- Implemented unique domain concepts into Spatial Data Infrastructures (SDSI) to provide access for external users via ArcGIS REST services; recognized by The President of the company for this development.
- Assisted with the creation of geographic information systems for over fifty projects including parks and recreation plans, pipelines monitoring data collection processes at water treatment plants.
- Administered more than 25 terabytes of Oracle spatial data including imported metadata from five different sources representing multiple formats.
GIS Manager Resume Sample 10
- Analyzed and resolved problems in dynamic and often changing IT environment by providing forward-thinking strategies to meet performance standards.
- Conducted business analysis and system implementation for multiple clients that enabled them to make more informed, strategic decisions; increased revenue by $845,000.
- Chronicled GIS project history back to 1998, which included successful design, production development, modifications, testing phases.
- Designed new software applications including construction change order tracking coding for public use; also developed Web-based repair request program with automated inspection coding for field users.
- Identified customer requirements through research of industry standards; deployed GIS application design process followed by quality control processes.
GIS Manager Resume Sample 11
- Managed and deployed a GIS to analyze and track geographic information for the County.
- Integrated GIS with an external application to manipulate spatial data through SQL queries; responded to user support requests as needed.
- Presented updates about GIS at conferences and seminars; presented “to make effective use of open source software within government” at Open Source Conference in 2012.
- Developed GIS infrastructures remotely for small towns nearby; identified and implemented new solutions that improved upon existing methods and aided public services such as 911 dispatch centers.
Resumes are a crucial aspect of any job search. In order to make a good first impression, it is important that your resume be formatted and written professionally. To create the perfect resume, think about what skills and qualities you want your future employer to see.
Hope these samples gave you an idea of what your resume should look like and some tips on how to make sure that your resume stands out from the rest.