A biologist studies living organisms. Duties include analyzing specimens to determine characteristics, working in the lab using research techniques and equipment, making observations about results, assisting with experiments, providing reports on findings, consulting with scientists or other professionals about experimental protocols or results, supervising student biologists in training programs, and educating the public about biological practices. The top skills for this position are technical knowledge of biology principles and procedures, problem-solving abilities, computer software proficiency (especially with supply chain management), good communication skills allowing for clear explanations of complex topics to non-scientists including lay people interested in the field, autodidactic tendencies. A bachelor’s degree is required for this position along with certification by the American Society for Microbiology (ASM).
The Best Biologist Resume Samples
These are some examples of accomplishments we have handpicked from real Biologist resumes for your reference.
- Perform water quality tests including pH, salinity, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, phosphate, and copper.
- Lead diver of the main dining room tank. In charge of feed and maintenance dives and water quality adjustments.
- Interact with exotic birds including macaws, reptiles such as bearded dragons, snakes, skinks, turtles, and invertebrates such as tarantulas.
- Dedicated and reliable; responsible for training and management of staff who labored over 500 hours per week.
- Award-winning team member; won an international science competition by developing a formula to purify water using ion exchange.
- Responsible for large and minute nutrient addition and chemical treatments daily and as necessary as well as logging amounts, time, and reasons.
- Checked ponds densities hourly and harvested when densities were reached as well as logged harvest information and hourly NTUs.
- Mixed large amounts of chemicals and refilled chemicals when necessary using proper PPE.
- Outstanding field biologist, who saved the life of a fellow worker after parachuting out of a plane into the Atlantic Ocean during 40-foot waves, saving one crew member from possible drowning.
- Recognized for work in chemical safety; recommended safer substitutes for potentially lethal chemicals on the factory floor.
- Working with crews (Both English-speaking and Spanish speaking) to prevent damage to resources within the park.
- This included a range of duties from directing where drilling equipment could be placed to preventing crew members from harming any flora or fauna.
- Monitoring for and documenting impacts that occur, and talking with the individuals involved with the impacts about why they happened and steps that can be taken to avoid impacts in the future.
- Maintaining clear, concise field notes to be entered into a daily field report which would be submitted to multiple private entities and government agencies.
- Successfully identified, and studied the habits and characteristics of three new species of leatherback sea turtle (Dermochelys coriacea) after obtaining DNA samples from an international research team.
- Responsible for training technical staff in both individual technical procedures as well as collective procedures required to execute study protocols.
- Performs verbal and written communication (i.e., status reports) with Study Sponsors and related clients.
- Specialized in endocrine disruptor testing, including ELISA Vitellogenin analysis on fathead minnows thoroughly.
- Conducted a 21-month investigation into the effects of synthetic chemicals on Daphnia Magna (water flea); recognized for outstanding achievements in chemistry by award nomination for a quality research project.
- Handled several PIRL cases; properly directed, managed, and supervised 17 students’ work which involved recording data.
- Performed Tissue Culture-based potency assays on live vaccine products, process intermediates, and related experimental samples associated with the Varicella Zoster Virus.
- Prepared culture media, maintained multiple MRC-5 cell lines, and compiled data following good manufacturing practices (GMP).
- Ensure that Laboratory Equipment is acceptable for use, review logbooks for organization and GMP standards, and maintained database for CO2-level and temperature deviations for 20+ actively used incubators, refrigerators, and cryogenic freezers.
- Updated 1,200 pages of existing laboratory manuals to incorporate recent changes in curriculum; served as liaison to 200+ students during college years.
- Performed voluminous research on the effects of hormones, enzymes, and other core molecules on in vivo cells during a two-year postdoctoral fellowship.
- High throughput screening efforts to support medicinal chemistry in making go-no-go decisions in early space projects.
- Provided key data in the mechanism of action studies for clinical candidates (CETP inhibitor-Anacetrapib).
- Designed and executed experiments to further understanding of compound interaction in pathways in atherosclerosis early space.
- Cultured and extracted over 50 species of bacteria from water sources, developed treatment process for infectious waste using enzyme-dependent methods.
- Conducted supervised studies of enzyme production and regulation among several genera in the Lactobacillus family.
- Co-developed and ran counter-screens like cytotoxicity, viability, and compound interference assays for hit validation.
- Co-developed when needed and optimized follow-up assays for lead compound characterization.
- Employed molecular and protein biology and biochemistry techniques like substrate competition, enzyme kinetics, immunofluorescence, qPCR, western blot, proliferation, apoptosis, etc. to validate lead compounds and to determine the AC50, Modes of Action (MOA), and biological target.
- Observed good planning to ensure each project’s milestones were achieved and reported in a timely manner.
- Ordered, analyzed, and compiled data related to DNA sequencing and the relationship between amino acid sequence homology and histidine modifications.
- Assess impacts of proposed projects on habitat, coordinate with other agencies on mitigation and concerns.
- Formulate plans for civil works and ecosystem restoration projects.
- Coordinate internally and externally with engineers and construction divisions and contractors.
- Prepared solutions for critical problems facing the research and teaching staff, company, and industry.
- Communicated effectively with colleagues and scientific competitors regarding health codes and procedures.
- Used photography and GPS technology to monitor the location and movement of Gopherus aggassizii in and around a power line construction project.
- Worked alongside construction personnel to aid in maximizing the efficiency of the project while ensuring the safety of the native flora and fauna.
- Led field teams on surveys for multiple special status plants and animals.
- Accurately analyzed data from hundreds of laboratory tests in a timely manner to identify potential problems.
- Compiled data from hundreds of biosample cultures in a timely manner to identify potential problems.
- Coordinate all facets of client’s projects, such as conducting pre-and post-plant and animal surveys, monitoring heavy equipment and seismic crews, and give project personnel endangered species training, writing pre-construction and post-construction reports, consult with clients and agencies.
- Write re- vegetation requirements for reclamation plan, and carry out those revegetation requirements.
- Write several different regulatory permits for various projects.
- Achieved award for excellence in research; conducted experiments promoting woodpeckers’ reproductive capabilities.
- Ensured ambient temperature range for living animal cells and tissues during research experiments.
- Kept track of incoming samples and scheduled samples to be processed by lab assistants.
- Trained assistants and other lab technicians on methods and techniques to ensure consistency throughout all lab operations.
- Kept inventory of agar media stocks, antibiotic stocks, as well as other lab supplies and placed orders for lab equipment and chemicals needed.
- Prepared agar media for all testing conducted in the lab and ensured that the quality of the media was good by testing its effectiveness to grow our target bacteria as well as its ability to inhibit saprophytic growth.
- Designed and implemented a species inventory system for tracking genetic pools for each of the company’s 15,000 cattle; contributed to the company’s success in the 1982 Beef Industry Awards.
- Duties included coordinating crews to ensure they were informed of all biological resources and potential compliance issues.
- Conducted daily nesting bird surveys prior to all work activities. Documented all nests located using GIS.
- Created daily reports documenting all biological resources, their status, and any compliance issues that may have occurred.
- Collected post-construction data using GIS and created a spreadsheet for use in the final post-construction report.
- Proactively advanced company profile by securing article published in “The Journal of Agricultural Technology” entitled “Research with Cellular Cloning”; presented at the American Biotechnology Association annual meeting.
Resumes are a crucial aspect of any job search. In order to make a good first impression, it is important that your resume be formatted and written professionally.
Hope these samples gave you an idea of what your resume should look like and some tips on how to make sure that your resume stands out from the rest.