A Coding Specialist translates a medical health provider’s diagnostic notes into codes required for billing purposes. Their duties include tracking and processing payments, preparing billing invoices, handling insurance claims, correcting errors or rejected claims, following up with patients and insurance companies on bill payment, and using billing software and computers to read and organize charts.
To work as a Coding Specialist, you must have an Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in Medical Coding and sometimes a professional medical coding certification. Coding Specialists should demonstrate knowledge of various coding systems and medical terminology (such as Current Procedural Terminology, International Classification of Disease, and the Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System), accurate and efficient typing, excellent computer and basic math skills, strong communication and interpersonal skills, as well as the outstanding organization and attention to detail.
For many people, writing a resume can be daunting. If you are working on your own, it is easy to become overwhelmed with the amount of information you need to include and how best to present yourself.
The sample resumes below provide great examples of how to write an effective resume.
The Best Coding Specialist Resume Samples
These are some examples of accomplishments we have handpicked from real Coding Specialist resumes for your reference.
Coding Specialist Resume Sample 1
- Streamlined coding for medical records by developing and integrating the use of standardized encoding system.
- Certified in ICD-10 coding; identified, researched, and resolved complex problems within the ICD-9 coding system documentation.
- Researched, analyzed, and implemented new procedures to improve payer billing operations; recognized as team leader in the development of guidelines for follow-up billing on accounts that need to be escalated or placed on hold due to incomplete or missing information.
- Monitored audits at several sites while establishing departmental policies and procedures for daily audit monitoring.
- Achieved 100% accuracy in meeting submission deadlines while maintaining productivity without sacrificing quality under pressure during peak season.
Coding Specialist Resume Sample 2
- Converted 300 line program to modular Pascal for improved accuracy and data integrity.
- Initiated policies, procedures, and documentation related to software installation process.
- Assisted in debugging application created by four programmers who had no previous coding experience; converted it to utilize OLE technology.
- Developed tools for parsing out C++ code into Visual Basic that functioned at speeds 200 times faster than any existing system.
- Introduced new methodologies for increased productivity through requirements analysis strategies used in marketing-driven high-tech environment.
Coding Specialist Resume Sample 3
- Designed, developed and implemented web-based software to streamline electronic medical records.
- Authored grant for $216,550 in funding from the Virginia Health Information Partnership Authority.
- Increase productivity of hospital staff by 40% through development of an Electronic Medical Records system.
- Enhanced customer service provided by nurses via web-based tracking system.
- Acted as technical liaison between research professionals, doctors, nurses, pharmacists, technicians and information management department.
Coding Specialist Resume Sample 4
- Provided technical assistance to nurses, technicians, physicians, and patients on supported equipment.
- Edited documents for proper code assignment and updated database to ensure accuracy.
- Performed field inspections and documented equipment deficiencies for each patient.
- Participated in the development of procedures, policies, and protocols for departmental operations under new ICD-10 coding guidelines.
- Trained other staff members as the primary technical resource on supported equipment.
Coding Specialist Resume Sample 5
- Reduced hospital wide wait times by 30% through optimizing documentation processes. Worked in conjunction with physicians to reduce wait times for patients needing appointments.
- Pioneered the movement of electronic medical records to integrated EMR platform by design, development, and deployment of standards conforming system.
- Authored 70+ clinical documents that have been expanded to include five other practices in Florida, Georgia, Alabama and North Carolina.
- Spearheaded a company project which included detailed analysis of 5 years worth of physician time data resulting in a new business strategy reducing operational costs by over $30 million annually.
- Received the Employee Innovator Award from my employer for consistently going above and beyond my job requirements.
Coding Specialist Resume Sample 6
- Aided medical personnel by identifying and editing the required information on patients’ charts.
- Increased documentation accuracy through implementation of electronic health records system, thereby promoting patient care continuity across all sites.
- Updated coding compliance policies and procedures to ensure coding compliance with evolving Medicare guidelines.
- Enhanced the understanding of hospital billing requirements for a multi-divisional hospital/healthcare system throughout a three state region by serving as a consulting resource.
- Promoted improved revenue cycle management via implementation of ICD-10 medical codes for new diagnoses and procedures introduced by the Affordable Care Act.
Coding Specialist Resume Sample 7
- Implemented extensive enhancements to existing systems in order to improve accuracy and efficiency.
- Invented a novel decryption process that resulted in the improvement of data efficiency by over 30% for one system.
- Aided in the development of an application designed to retrieve, record, and display patient vital signs measurements in a timely manner.
- Codified a series of complex algorithms that improved the processing time for multiple service lines nearly 70%.
- Pioneered new research on coding software’s ability to detect potential drug interactions at an early stage by creating a unique algorithm.
Coding Specialist Resume Sample 8
- Communicated with clients to establish a coding diagnosis, and procedure schedules.
- Updated client files using the Conceptual Guide for Coding and Reporting.
- Participated in meetings with physicians and nursing staff to discuss progress notes, operative reports, medical necessity reviews, pre-certification, and accurate charges for services (CPT).
- Researched Medicare fee schedules as it related to medical necessity realignments within hospital guidelines.
- Exceeded department patient counting goals by accurately identifying insurance eligibility of patients; received recognition from director for achievement.
Coding Specialist Resume Sample 9
- Rewrote all code documentation for the hospital’s Electronic Medical Record (EMR) system.
- Pioneered new coding process by researching existing sources and writing a comprehensive summary of present practices.
- Published articles in prominent medical journals on various methods of data collection in epidemiology research.
- Achieved position as lead coder, becoming subject-matter expert and trainer for coding staff after one year tenure; received award from local medical society.
- Introduced innovative idea to use Google Wave technology to build an easy to use, secure platform for coders and doctors for realtime communication and workflow management; project is currently under development with IT department.
Coding Specialist Resume Sample 10
- Provided coding assistance in the development of detailed written clinical records for patients treated at a local clinic.
- Utilized web-based medical billing software to identify possible errors that could have been prevented after further analysis of insurance claims.
- Specialized in ICD9 – CM diagnosis and treatment procedures for insurance companies, hospitals, and clinics.
- Reviewed physician charts in response to patient complaints to ensure complete accuracy and compliance with USERRA regulations.
- Identified disease patterns through historic analysis of medical records data; improved quality care by providing insights into future outcomes based on current trends.
Coding Specialist Resume Sample 11
- Scanned and analyzed digital x-rays, MRIs, CT scans, and mammograms.
- Trained three coding assistants in accurate input of patient data via computer system according to ICD 9/10 diagnosis and procedure codes.
- Provided error free documentation for a new speciality code by clarifying proper procedures through weekly in depth training sessions with co workers.
- Adhered to all federal HIPAA regulations while maintaining confidentiality when dealing with highly sensitive private patient information.
- Identified coding errors in compiled reports facilitating more efficient reimbursement from insurance companies.
Coding Specialist Resume Sample 12
- Provided coding support for a variety of medical equipment and services, including ambulatory surgery centers, home health agencies, durable medical equipment suppliers, medical billers and coders, and physician offices.
- Prepared cost reports for Medicare carrier audits by analyzing charge data using ICD-10 codes to ensure that the carrier’s contract requirements were met.
- Acted as a lead coder during extended absence from regular lead coder by performing day-to-day tasks which included monitoring caseloads, training staff members in clinical documentation guidelines and checking charts for correct coding accuracy.
- Participated as an active member on the AMA CPT Editorial Panel as a reviewer/developer for revisions to the coding books.
- Received recognition as a “Star Performer” for accuracy and productivity; elevated to this status by consistently achieving 100% accuracy in coding and demonstrating my commitment to productivity.
Resumes are a crucial aspect of any job search. In order to make a good first impression, it is important that your resume be formatted and written professionally. To create the perfect resume, think about what skills and qualities you want your future employer to see.
Hope these samples gave you an idea of what your resume should look like and some tips on how to make sure that your resume stands out from the rest.
- The Best Coding Specialist Resume Samples
- Coding Specialist Resume Sample 1
- Coding Specialist Resume Sample 2
- Coding Specialist Resume Sample 3
- Coding Specialist Resume Sample 4
- Coding Specialist Resume Sample 5
- Coding Specialist Resume Sample 6
- Coding Specialist Resume Sample 7
- Coding Specialist Resume Sample 8
- Coding Specialist Resume Sample 9
- Coding Specialist Resume Sample 10
- Coding Specialist Resume Sample 11
- Coding Specialist Resume Sample 12
- Wrap Up