Youth counselors act as mentors and role models for children facing problems such as behavioral and legal issues. Duties include counseling and supervising clients, teaching children new skills, conducting interviews with professionals, creating reports about interactions with clients, pointing out issues that require attention, and advocating for clients during legal proceedings.
For many, writing a resume can be daunting. If you are working on your own, it is easy to become overwhelmed with the amount of information you need to include and how best to present yourself.
The sample resumes below provide great examples of how to write an effective resume.
The Best Youth Counselor Resume Samples
These are some examples of accomplishments we have handpicked from real Youth Counselor resumes for your reference.
Youth Counselor Resume Sample 1
- As a counselor, I provided assistance in the growth of self-esteem and confidence to children ages 6 through 12.
- Established counseling sessions with children who had experienced traumatic events at home or school, including physical assault, neglect, sexual abuse, parental separation following divorce, death of immediate family member(s), foreclosure of house or apartment.
- Advised students along with parents on appropriate measures to secure scholarships for post-high school education; educated families about financial aid opportunities at local universities.
- Developed curriculum for elementary school after-school program focusing on structured collaboration between two educators and eight youth counselors; collaborated with community agencies and other youth organizations providing after-school educational programs enhance academic skills, punctuality, community involvement, and life-skills.
- Introduced a new initiative for in-school mentoring to provide support to underachieving high school students; created incentives for performance-based mentoring.
Youth Counselor Resume Sample 2
- Mobilized community leaders and parents to participate in A Better Chance of Compton, a program that encourages academic excellence among inner-city children.
- Partnered with the regional probation department to develop a program that allowed at-risk youth to work closely with an adult mentor, increasing involvement in school.
- Designed and implemented a comprehensive after-school program for developmentally disabled children, improving academic performance over three consecutive years.
- Helped inspire low-income teens to pursue higher education by organizing motivational activities including City College/SUNY tours and workshops on standardized tests preparation, financial aid applications, financial planning, job searches techniques.
- Guided parents of teenagers suffering from obesity through doctor-endorsed weight loss program; helped patients lose up to 50 pounds in one year.
Youth Counselor Resume Sample 3
- Manage a group of 10-12 young people with significant emotional and behavioral problems, collaborating with teachers, parents, and therapists to help them resolve their issues.
- Increased independent living skills for three second year residents by developing plans that included increasing socialization, improving relationships with family members, and achieving academic success.
- Collaborated with director on short term & long term crisis plan development during the first 3 months of employment.
- Initiated and completed the development of a new support service program for youth transitioning out of residential care; received positive feedback from participants and families about increased access to community resources.
- Conceived an after school mentorship program to stimulate reading comprehension, creative thinking, and critical thinking skills.
Youth Counselor Resume Sample 4
- Helped children who had experienced sever neglect and abuse overcome their fears by offering affection, play activities, and regular praise.
- Built rapport with children through conversation, reading books, playing games, physical contact, and subject knowledge of the world around them.
- Collaborated with parents to develop customized after-school programs that addressed children’s individual needs for support at home or school.
- Mediated peer conflicts between fellow counselors in a professional manner while promoting self-confidence throughout the group.
- Trained new hires on policies and procedures including Office of Children’s Services standards for mandated reporting protocol.
Youth Counselor Resume Sample 5
- Successfully counseled at-risk youth for a community center.
- Provided support services to children and their families in crisis by advocating, collaborating, and empowering both parents and child to strengthen social bonds.
- Collaborated with mental health providers in serving over 40 clients with severe emotional disturbances.
- Organized after school activities, summer camp programs, holiday events, and other extracurriculars for 200 middle school students each year.
- Conducted workshops on career development topics such as job interview techniques, resumé preparation, self-esteem building exercises, goal setting seminars for teenagers.
Youth Counselor Resume Sample 6
- Worked with children and adolescents diagnosed with behavioural disorders such as ADHD, depression, and learning disabilities.
- Provided counselling services to students in academics, career decisions, social development, personal conflicts/problems.
- Collaborated with public school guidance counselors to arrange for individualized instruction plans and provide training sessions for classroom teachers.
- Trained student counsellors to work effectively in team settings through weekly supervision sessions and monthly meetings with educational administrators.
- Developed the ability to think critically regarding techniques and methods via presentations given at state conferences on topics of adolescent crisis intervention and family therapy programming.
Youth Counselor Resume Sample 7
- Developed a human resources program aimed towards the development of youth from urban backgrounds, using real world simulations.
- Facilitated interpersonal relationships between individuals from varied socio-economic and racial/ethnic backgrounds with emphasis on developing responsible citizenship, as well as managing disputes.
- Established effective communications between two public schools in efforts to foster understanding and appreciation of diversity through culturally relevant curricula.
- Incorporate multicultural curriculum guidelines into my work which contribute to a high level of educational achievement for students with diverse needs and abilities.
- Provided counseling services to youth at crisis points including job loss, divorce, death, etc., guiding them through critical decision making processes that helped teens handle their problems in positive ways.
Youth Counselor Resume Sample 8
- Provided crisis counseling for victims of violent crimes.
- Assessed behavior patterns in delinquent youth.
- Prepared reports for social workers on clients with psychiatric problems.
- Discovered method to rehabilitate juvenile sex offenders within the confines of State Prison System.
- Researched local community programs offering services to teenagers and compiled list in a research paper outlining strengths, weaknesses, future needs, and limitations of each service.
Youth Counselor Resume Sample 9
- Provided crisis intervention and management of unstable adolescent psychiatric patients.
- Acted as a liaison between the mental health facility, schools, parents, law enforcement agencies, and community services to ensure appropriate care for acutely disturbed adolescents.
- Guided clients through the therapeutic process with emphasis on self-discovery via cognitive restructuring, role playing/behavior rehearsal, psychoeducation, activity therapy groups, art therapy sessions.
- Managed the daily activities of twelve employees including front desk operations and supervision of an aftercare program which is recognized statewide as exemplary by state licensing authorities.
- Achieved 97% successful discharge rate within six months; responsible for conducting group therapy sessions for twenty clients with training in crisis intervention, psychiatric disabilities, and depression.
Youth Counselor Resume Sample 10
- Kept a group of teenagers participating in a summer day camp through motivation, enthusiasm, and organized activities.
- Teaches children how to interact positively with peers and adults by setting an example of good behavior.
- Developed safe spaces for children to express feelings about racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, ableism, ageism & classism during six months of employment.
- Received school-wide honors for developing confidence in students who were unwilling to speak up or take chances before working with them.
- Employed knowledge of youth development theories and contemporary trends to change the lives of at risk youths through after school programming.
A bachelor’s degree in human services, social sciences or related field is essential. Experience working with young people, computer skills, CPR certification, understanding of legal, educational and medical systems, good physical ability, and the ability to work with at-risk youth are much sought-after skills by employers.
Resumes are a crucial aspect of any job search. In order to make a good first impression, it is important that your resume be formatted and written professionally. To create the perfect resume, think about what skills and qualities you want your future employer to see.
Hope these samples gave you an idea of what your resume should look like and some tips on how to make sure that your resume stands out from the rest.