A reference librarian interprets and recommends information sources for library patrons. Duties include offering reference services, create research guides, assist users with information searches, remaining current on library technology, giving presentations on reference topics, promoting library services, and promoting library collections.
For many, writing a resume can be daunting. If you are working on your own, it is easy to become overwhelmed with the amount of information you need to include and how best to present yourself.
The sample resumes below provide great examples of how to write an effective resume.
The Best Reference Librarian Resume Samples
These are some examples of accomplishments we have handpicked from real Reference Librarian resumes for your reference.
Reference Librarian Resume Sample 1
- Wrote five articles, with publication in professional journals. Authored text for one published directory.
- Opened new reference area; increasing the library’s electronic access by 150%.
- Provided free lectures on web design to local businessmen and women; increased awareness of services offered by library.
- Awarded outstanding support given to tutoring program during 2001-2002 academic year.
- Edited reference texts for second edition of community college guide books; ensuring accuracy of information was up-to-date and pertinent .
Reference Librarian Resume Sample 2
- Assisted students, faculty, and staff with research needs for over 15 years.
- Provided online access to reference materials; was instrumental in the implementation of web-based resources.
- Completed all tasks related to personnel management; successfully interviewed, hired, trained, and supervised student employees.
- Presented at professional conferences on effective use of internet technologies to improve library services; researched pertinent issues affecting library environment.
- Authored chapter for book entitled “Interlibrary Loan” published by Routledge Press; contributed additional chapters to two books from American Library Association Publishers.
Reference Librarian Resume Sample 3
- Presented lectures and seminars on library resources, reference services, Internet research, and automated library system use.
- Selected for membership in the “100 Great Librarians of the 20th Century” by The Gale Group Publishing.
- Tracked down fugitive users in nine different states and ten foreign countries using online resources and personal contacts with law enforcement officers in each area.
- Assisted in preparation for twenty-two new topics to be added to standard card catalogs used throughout county libraries; obtained information from city officials who provided local information about their communities.
- Wrote daily (five days a week) historical articles relating contemporary events to past history that were read by thousands of readers in over one hundred countries.
Reference Librarian Resume Sample 4
- Compiled annotated bibliography on “The Knights Templar” for research paper.
- Authored articles on reference collection development and acquisitions to be published in professional journals.
- Presented paper at regional conference on Library 2.016 project, which introduced the 6th edition of Anglo-American Cataloguing Rules (AACR).
- Organized computer lab, teaching patrons how to access online encyclopedias and public records databases.
- Provided 24/7 support for patron’s genealogical research through use of an automated data system that contained over four million names.
Reference Librarian Resume Sample 5
- Developed and maintained accurate records for 150,000 items consisting of books, periodicals, videos/DVDs, microforms, maps/Atlases.
- Provided library materials to the public by order number more than 10,000 copies in print or electronic format during one year.
- Revised the library’s online catalog system to include 13 new access points; increased access to databases with 1 million plus entries by 20% over previous year.
- Received award for excellence in reference service three consecutive years; presented at state level conference with highest honors.
- Organized large-scale annual community book drives resulting in donated books being shelved alphabetically after purchase of shelving units with donated funds.
Reference Librarian Resume Sample 6
- Analyzed, organized, and integrated library guidelines into bibliographic records to improve the accuracy of interlibrary loan requests for remote users.
- Enhanced online searching capabilities by configuring new Google Search Appliance.
- Researched compliance requirements to better understand lending rules set forth by Federal Copyright Laws.
- Improved success rate of digital reference service through development of six search strategies targeting subscribers’ topics of interest within business data.
- Maintained detailed statistical reports identifying trends in patron use according to age, race, gender, language preference, topic popularity at early intervention stage; successfully used marketing skills for advertising purposes.
Reference Librarian Resume Sample 7
- Built a collection of over 300,000 unique items in less than five years.
- Entered and updated data in library management systems to ensure accurate records.
- Researched potential new acquisitions from personal contacts with publishers, distributors, authors, and other industry professionals.
- Established a work-flow system that minimized counter congestion and increased front office staff productivity during heavy checkout periods.
- Created an effective reference document delivery process for patrons using personal computers and interlibrary loan procedures.
Reference Librarian Resume Sample 8
- Answered reference questions using library resources, including: print and electronic materials; web sites; and personal interviews.
- Catalogued and classified materials in a timely manner, and maintained an up-to-date online public access catalog (OPAC) according to library standard procedures.
- Noted daily circulation figures in computer system; gave positive reinforcement to avid readers.
- Oversaw students’ use of computers during after school homework time with proactive supervision, education, and monitoring of their internet usage.
- Pioneered new research tool for patrons by developing customized citation format based on preferred citation styles in major disciplines for easy retrieval from Google Scholar.
Reference Librarian Resume Sample 9
- Achieved award for outstanding customer service to library patrons by responding to all reference and research inquiries in a timely fashion.
- Proficiently completed high-quality cataloging of over 700 books, articles, and multi-media materials including infographics and graphs using RDA/ONIX standards.
- Contributed to the creation and implementation of the Libraries’ social media presence through establishing Library Tumblr and Twitter accounts promoting new book releases and events.
- Exhibited extensive knowledge of CINAHL Plus with Full Text database, ideal for researching evidence-based information on health topics; scored 100% accuracy rate on monthly testing.
- Created monthly newsletter highlighting recent additions, collections, activities, and services offered by the Library; contributed to monthly circulation increases with over 200 new patrons.
Reference Librarian Resume Sample 10
- Acquired certification in Records Management and Archive Administration.
- Designed, created, and published permanent reference materials for visitors at the library’s website.
- Collaborated with faculty members to implement a new undergraduate research database, the first of its kind on campus.
- Achieved patron satisfaction rating of 91% by keeping journals, newspapers, magazines more current than other libraries on campus through proactive resource management skills.
- Accessed full-text databases to answer more than 1,000 questions per day from patrons via telephone call or email inquiries; responded within 24 hours on average.
Reference Librarian Resume Sample 11
- Trained, supervised, and motivated staff members in providing efficient and courteous reference service to the public.
- Led a team in developing a library-wide online catalog system that streamlined interlibrary loan requests for all five branches within city limits.
- Appointed Examiner for Certification of Experienced Reference Librarians; judged applicants on knowledge of library literature, services, and collections.
- Developed original website promoting local businesses with links to local history research information.
- Managed volunteers who answered over 500 reference questions per year; coordinated volunteer schedule and training sessions.
Reference Librarian Resume Sample 12
- Developed new reference model that increased efficiency by 25%; recognized by library administration for efforts above and beyond the call of duty.
- Arranged materials for public use in innovative ways to capture interest, develop educational strategies, and provide general audience access; automated circulation system for patrons convenience.
- Organized Library Day Camps providing learning opportunities to youth including reading program with elementary schools.
- Presented paper on need for balance between technology and humanism in reference service at Southwest Librarians Association annual meeting; highlighted benefits available through networking with other librarians.
- Collaborated with faculty members to increase online search capabilities via improvement of electronicages between students and librarians.
Education requirements include a master’s degree in library science, and additional state certifications may also be required. Skills to succeed include excellent oral communication skills,, excellent written communication skills, proficiency in public speaking, passion for learning, good telephone etiquette, excellent computer skills, and proficiency with applicable library software programs.
Resumes are a crucial aspect of any job search. In order to make a good first impression, it is important that your resume be formatted and written professionally. To create the perfect resume, think about what skills and qualities you want your future employer to see.
Hope these samples gave you an idea of what your resume should look like and some tips on how to make sure that your resume stands out from the rest.
- The Best Reference Librarian Resume Samples
- Reference Librarian Resume Sample 1
- Reference Librarian Resume Sample 2
- Reference Librarian Resume Sample 3
- Reference Librarian Resume Sample 4
- Reference Librarian Resume Sample 5
- Reference Librarian Resume Sample 6
- Reference Librarian Resume Sample 7
- Reference Librarian Resume Sample 8
- Reference Librarian Resume Sample 9
- Reference Librarian Resume Sample 10
- Reference Librarian Resume Sample 11
- Reference Librarian Resume Sample 12
- Wrap Up