The police captain is responsible for overseeing a patrol or police division. Police captains plan, supervise, assign, and participate in the activities of the police department; duties also include developing staffing plans, studying crime reports, and making recommendations for changes in the organization.
For many, writing a resume can be daunting. If you are working on your own, it is easy to become overwhelmed with the amount of information you need to include and how best to present yourself.
The sample resumes below provide great examples of how to write an effective resume.
The Best Police Captain Resume Samples
These are some examples of accomplishments we have handpicked from real Police Captain resumes for your reference.
Police Captain Resume Sample 1
- In charge of a police division that patrols 70 square kilometers and protects the lives and assets of over 30,000 residents.
- Oversaw up to 14 officers in performing uniform patrol, traffic safety education, accident investigation, criminal investigations, crime scene protection, and evidence collection.
- Promoted due to excellent customer service skills while interacting with diverse community members from different walks of life.
- Presented at numerous international conferences on topics such as school violence prevention techniques; drawing upon scientific research data for best practices worldwide.
- Achieved award for exceptional marksmanship performance during 24-hour long range shooting competition; recognized by federal law enforcement agency for excellence above peers.
Police Captain Resume Sample 2
- Created and executed departmental policies for containment, control, and prevention of crime.
- Coordinated multiple law enforcement agencies to execute search warrant that resulted in successful seizure of illegal weapons, drugs, cash, contraband, and property.
- Assisted superiors in planning operations; assigned responsibilities to subordinates; monitored intelligence networks; initiated tactical response measures.
- Awarded Medal of Valor for heroic action while leading men into battle during combat operations.
- Apprehended criminal elements wanted for robbery (34), theft (94), domestic violence (167), arson (12).
Police Captain Resume Sample 3
- Organized, managed, and directed police department personnel.
- Inspected crime scenes; presented rules of evidence; prepared thorough reports of investigation; obtained confessions.
- Set up an office that recorded 400 calls per month; expedited response time to correct problems.
- Trained at-risk youth in life skills through after-school programs for 9 years which helped successfully prepare them for employment or further education; recognized by parents, peers, teachers, government officials, and local media outlets for contributions to the community.
- Maintained professional relationships with partner agencies throughout the state while managing the agency’s budget efficiently year after year.
Police Captain Resume Sample 4
- Promises kept and oaths upheld as a police officer; demonstrated integrity, commitment, and courage.
- Reviewed complaints and reports for accuracy, completeness, and compliance with state criminal codes.
- Contributed to department budgetary planning; analyzed costs of services provided by the division in comparison with those not offered to identify potential cost savings.
- Administered patrol operations for assigned area; conducted audits on equipment usage to decrease fleet expenses.
- Provided positive role model when interacting with youth through school presentations, toy drives, sporting events, exhibitions at schools, talking to students about anti-drug programs, traffic safety programs etc…
Police Captain Resume Sample 5
- Recruited and reorganized police force in an industry-specific department with a $3 million annual budget.
- Managed crime scene, conducted research on new technological advancements, aided in the prosecution of suspects, and supplied pertinent information to detectives for further evidence collection.
- Maintained law enforcement standards during transitional period; provided training courses for community outreach and prevention programs.
- Monitored traffic concerns surrounding road construction and weather conditions; promoted active participation in all patrol activities with citizens and visitors.
- Identified strategies that increased efficiency levels by 25%; lead efforts in protecting personnel from work-related exposures to hazardous materials such as blood borne pathogens.
Police Captain Resume Sample 6
- Hired to create a professional Workplace Violence Program.
- Presented a Domestic Violence Seminar at the FBI Academy using Law Enforcement curriculum and methods that were not in use elsewhere.
- Managed a team of twenty-five officers and supervisors with a budget, facilities, programs, equipment, and personnel for approximately 200 national visitors from 35 countries from around the world.
- Restored broken relationships among all communities within the city after being hired as an assistant police chief in one of the most crime-ridden cities in America.
- Lead 100+ men and women to achieve record breaking arrests while achieving levels of community support not seen since 1975.
Police Captain Resume Sample 7
- Effectively and efficiently led a police precinct of 100+ employees to reduce crime in the city by 10%.
- Defensive Tactics Instructor for Police Academy; developed new techniques to control suspects, increase officer safety, and decrease injuries.
- Promoted from Sergeant to Captain in one year due to high productivity and superior management ability.
- Honored for exceptional community service after saving a young girl from drowning by performing CPR until medical services arrived.
- Developed defensive strategies after being involved in 24-hours of armed standoffs with criminals/terrorists that ended peacefully without injury or loss of life.
Police Captain Resume Sample 8
- Ranked as one of the top 100 police officers in America by an independent national committee assembled for this purpose.
- Awarded medal of honor, police star, commendation bars, letters of appreciation and various other awards for outstanding service.
- Promoted to lieutenant after 7 years of dedicated service; first serving officer in department history to move up without an advanced college degree or military experience.
- Earned certification as a law enforcement instructor.
- Responsible for department safety training program which included firearms qualification, self-defense instruction, first aid course; established testing procedure to maintain certification with State Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST).
Police Captain Resume Sample 9
- Provided leadership and expertise to enhance communications between emergency responders.
- Assisted in organizing ideas for a 3-year technology plan that improved the efficiency of the department’s records management system.
- Promoted after three years as a Detective, first working with narcotics and then sex crimes.
- Supervised a 55-officer force responsible for approximately 500 arrests each year, implementing new policies based on best practice research.
- Negotiated a $19 million dollar federal grant to purchase new equipment and facilities for the city, saving taxpayers an estimated $8 million dollars.
Police Captain Resume Sample 10
- Expanded the office’s Gang Intelligence Unit, a specialized unit designed to develop tactical solutions to gang violence and crime.
- Received near perfect performance rating from department chief for work as police commander.
- Awarded “Patrolman of the Year” award by Chief of Police after demonstrating high standards in community policing initiatives and traffic enforcement.
- Led team of law enforcement officers that safely executed one of the largest drug raids in area history; seized over seven million dollars worth of methamphetamine, heroin, cocaine, marijuana, ecstasy pills, hashish oil.
- Achieved sustained superior operational results while safeguarding public safety during four months leading an elite Special Weapons And Tactics Team (SWAT).
Police Captain Resume Sample 11
- Credited with the efficient, systematic reorganization of a department’s records program that increased efficiency 30% and saved $10,000.
- Supervised law enforcement services at a nuclear power plant as part of emergency response force for terrorist attack.
- Promoted to rank of Major after successfully overseeing all police and security operations for a large international airport.
- Acquired and enabled use of state-of-the-art technology to protect citizens, including biometric data bases, electronic surveillance equipment, license plate recognition systems, automated fingerprint identification system (AFIS), computerized crime mapping systems.
- Identified deficiencies in police force’s emergency preparedness plan, resulting in more than $7 million allocated to new equipment and training.
A bachelor’s degree in criminal justice is usually required, as well as a P.O.S.T. certificate. The ideal candidate should have plenty of experience as an officer, as well as good physical shape, knowledge of firearms, knowledge of law enforcement principles and practices, good coordination, the ability to work quickly and calmly in emergencies, critical thinking, and have good communication skills.
Resumes are a crucial aspect of any job search. In order to make a good first impression, it is important that your resume be formatted and written professionally. To create the perfect resume, think about what skills and qualities you want your future employer to see.
Hope these samples gave you an idea of what your resume should look like and some tips on how to make sure that your resume stands out from the rest.