Highway Maintenance Workers are responsible for managing and maintaining that highways are in good condition in America. Their duties include measuring work site dimensions, applying paint to surfaces, operating road surfacing equipment, inspecting completed work to ensure proper installation, mixing substances for work activities, and marking reference points on construction materials.
For many, writing a resume can be daunting. If you are working on your own, it is easy to become overwhelmed with the amount of information you need to include and how best to present yourself.
The sample resumes below provide great examples of how to write an effective resume.
The Best Highway Maintenance Worker Resume Samples
These are some examples of accomplishments we have handpicked from real Highway Maintenance Worker resumes for your reference.
Highway Maintenance Worker Resume Sample 1
- Fulfilled ten years of service for State X, maintaining the highway system by removing debris, reporting road hazards to appropriate agencies, and enforcing traffic laws.
- Provided quality work efficiently while ensuring that customers’ needs were met in a friendly manner.
- Recognized for excellent attendance record; only missed one day during first year on the job due to accident injuries after being struck by a vehicle while working on the roadway.
- Earned three letters of appreciation from customers thanking me for my services as well as suggesting enhancements to make their experience better.
- Endured lowest rating on performance appraisal following multiple complaints about tardiness, absences, refusal to follow directives during inclement weather.
Highway Maintenance Worker Resume Sample 2
- Maintained and repaired hundreds of miles of roadways and pedestrian walkways through collaboration with a team of 15 workers.
- Responded to emergency situations on the roads during inclement weather, ensuring the safety of drivers and pedestrians.
- Resolved conflicts between work crews by facilitating mutual understanding towards successful resolutions.
- Improved effectiveness by 30% through innovative initiatives that saved time for other teams while still maintaining quality.
- Licensed in CPR/AED/First Aid; successfully resuscitated cardiac arrest victim at local mall while waiting for EMS to arrive.
Highway Maintenance Worker Resume Sample 3
- Maintained equipment for a company with 11 trucks and 37 employees in a safe and efficient manner, according to the rules of the Department of Transportation.
- Completed over 300 hours of industry-specific training in order to increase efficiency and maximize productivity.
- Acted as liaison between management and labor unions during contract negotiations that resulted in mutual agreement on labor issues.
- Trained new workers on proper road safety procedures, leading them to pass state proficiency exam by 100%.
- Conducted high visibility safety campaigns within work zone, resulting in increased awareness among motorists due to greater than 4% decrease of accidents.
Highway Maintenance Worker Resume Sample 4
- Maintain and repair equipment according to manufacturer specifications.
- Rebuilt diesel engines, transmissions, and electrical systems; earned recognition as a top valued worker in my department.
- Performed emergency roadside assistance during traffic collisions; receive appreciation letters from the public for saving lives.
- Worked as an Airport Crash Fire Rescue first responder and performed other duties (e.g., hazardous materials spill cleanup) as required by state law.
- Developed skills maintaining 20-ton dump truck, 10-wheel loader, front end loader, skid steer loader, mini excavator, back hoe ,packer/spreader box scraper, generator set three (3) ton and two (2) ton, broom truck and leaf truck.
Highway Maintenance Worker Resume Sample 5
- Assisted in construction of a new highway with capacity for increasing motorist flow from 60,000 to 80,000 cars.
- Invented and developed a process to utilize pre-existing materials, such as asphalt and concrete, in order to create more effective roadways which increased the life cycle of highways with minimal environmental impact.
- Presented idea for a recycling plant with a primary objective of creating usable products with recycled materials in an effort to slow landfills by 90%; project is set to generate $350 million annually for state coffers.
- Improved overall coordination and communication between six separate facility locations through creation of an internal messaging system within existing software used by department; reduced worker’s commute times.
- Maintained health and safety standards by filling potholes, applying salt to roads during winter weather, and completing morning inspections.
Highway Maintenance Worker Resume Sample 6
- Removed trees and overgrown brush along the shoulder of area roadways while maintaining state highways.
- Restored smoothness to all interstate roads following construction by grading, milling, and paving.
- Dispatched for emergency breakdowns including repairing/replacing broken culverts, cleaning manholes, removing drain pipe blockage, repairing damaged guardrail sections, replacing manhole covers, cleaning debris from ditches next to roadways.
- Preserved bridges in their original condition by performing preventative maintenance tasks on a quarterly basis including touching up scratches in paint coatings using acrylic paints.
- Maintained safe traffic flow by placing pyl or cones around obstacles when necessary while assisting with lost child searches.
Highway Maintenance Worker Resume Sample 7
- Assessed and documented major damage to equipment; assisted in the planning and execution of repairs.
- Conducted training for new workers on proper safety regulations and procedures, including lockout-tagout procedures.
- Completed three months of extensive training to learn how to operate a computerized pumping truck; earned certification from the State DOT upon completion.
- Dedicated six months working with a team to repair bridges deemed unsafe by state inspectors; received several commendations for outstanding service from local officials.
- Achieved top score in departmental testing; cited as an expert by co-workers who wanted advice about fixing their personal vehicles.
Highway Maintenance Worker Resume Sample 8
- Amended standard procedures to save the highway department thousands in labor and material costs.
- Led a group of ten men in snow removal during a record breaking snowfall, successfully keeping all roadways open for traffic.
- Brought work back on schedule after team was delayed by inclement weather; recognized by the Department Supervisor.
- Identified location that allowed water from heavy rains to pool on roadway surface, which lead to an overflow that damaged a nearby business.
- Assisted supervisor with moving equipment around town when needed; completed projects ahead of schedule despite fluctuations in staffing levels due to illness and injury.
Highway Maintenance Worker Resume Sample 9
- Assisted in the construction of a roadway for a new commercial complex.
- Maintained over 25 miles of highway, working with state-owned equipment to apply tar, asphalt, and gravel to roads.
- Provided safe travel for citizens by removing debris from roadways.
- Provided information to fellow employees on proper safety methods while operating heavy machinery in construction type work setting.
- Adapted to changes in job responsibilities due to emergencies or seasonal fluctuations efficiently without jeopardizing quality.
Highway Maintenance Worker Resume Sample 10
- Repaired potholes, resurfaced roadways, graded shoulders to improve driving conditions.
- Provided snow removal services during snowstorms; maintained visibility on roadways for motorists.
- Enhanced the appearance of streets by cleaning surroundings.
- Eliminated gravel and vegetation buildup to block drainage structures; restored sight distance along curvature at intersections.
- Maintained traffic signage in good repair; straightened sign posts after accidents or high winds.
Highway Maintenance Worker Resume Sample 11
- Performed labor intensive, physical work for a seven-person crew within a 60 mile corridor.
- Prepared approximately 1.5 miles of roadways for safe winter driving by applying sand and salting to the roadsides during inclement weather conditions.
- Installed temporary traffic control devices along with channelizing cones, drums, and arrow boards as needed to mitigate traffic congestions due to road construction activities.
- Educated public about hazardous driving conditions through radio announcements on six occasions when snow accumulations were forecasted at or above 12 inches in a 24-hour period during February 2011 “Snowmageddon” storm.
- Promoted department culture by performing 8 hours of community service at three different areas in need of litter removal.
To work as a Highway Maintenance Worker, you need a high school diploma or equivalent, and training is done on the job. Highway Maintenance Workers must demonstrate excellent control precision, communication skills, interpersonal skills, teamwork, problem-solving skills, time management skills, and physical strength.
Resumes are a crucial aspect of any job search. In order to make a good first impression, it is important that your resume be formatted and written professionally. To create the perfect resume, think about what skills and qualities you want your future employer to see.
Hope these samples gave you an idea of what your resume should look like and some tips on how to make sure that your resume stands out from the rest.