A General Counsel is a senior attorney who oversees a company’s legal department. Their responsibilities include consulting with day-to-day legal affairs, negotiating contracts, managing nationwide resources, providing outside litigation counsel, consulting with other attorneys, and collaborating with the entire legal department.
For many, writing a resume can be daunting. If you are working on your own, it is easy to become overwhelmed with the amount of information you need to include and how best to present yourself.
The sample resumes below provide great examples of how to write an effective resume.
The Best General Counsel Resume Samples
These are some examples of accomplishments we have handpicked from real General Counsel resumes for your reference.
General Counsel Resume Sample 1
- Successfully represented clients under the protection of attorney client confidentiality and privilege.
- Coordinated with over 4,500 client companies regarding commercial transactions and business litigation matters.
- Negotiated settlements for cases valued at $38M; mediated disputes during pre-trial proceedings for a case valued at $10M and another worth $5.5M.
- Enhanced public awareness on trends in law after publishing over 100 articles published in peer review journals, magazines, newsletters etc…
- Collaborated with federal agents to indict offenders that violated anti-trust laws; prosecuted up 200 defendants that committed crimes related to malfeasance, antitrust violations, unfair trade practices schemes etc…
General Counsel Resume Sample 2
- Act as key legal advisor and strategist for company’s business units, subsidiaries, and affiliates.
- Builds value by facilitating transactions worth over $150 million dollars.
- Negotiate multi-million dollar contracts to minimize risk and protect company assets.
- Manage teams of individuals including contract managers, finance personnel, real estate attorneys, outside counsels, paralegals, law clerks & secretaries to meet deadlines.
- Preserve company assets via strong legal representation in negotiations with key stakeholders including pension plan trustees & unions representing teachers & nurses.
General Counsel Resume Sample 3
- Advise legal team to close a $15 million acquisition from a Fortune 500 company in less than one month.
- Negotiate the sale of a small law firm to a national practice in less than six weeks after being retained.
- Form an international joint venture in record time through creative thinking and strategic planning.
- Implemented new policies concerning transactional, litigation, and employment matters for five years.
- Identified ten key factor issues involving major transactions which were ultimately resolved favorably within given time parameters.
General Counsel Resume Sample 4
- Developed new practice areas for corporation, including stockholder derivative actions and securities laws.
- Managed all aspects of venture capital financing transactions with the federal government.
- Drafted legal documents related to board meetings, acquisition of subsidiaries, creation of subsidiaries, transfer of assets from one subsidiary to another, reorganization and recapitalization.
- Pitched idea for a new children’s television show called The Cat Critter Show; led agreement negotiations resulting in the release of various brands’ assets into public domain. Vindicated copyright infringement damages and opened up license negotiation and revenue stream that continues today.
- Successfully mediated international business dispute involving $15 million worth of mining machinery between American mining company and Chinese shipping, trucking, and warehousing firms; allowed American firm to continue to do business in China.
General Counsel Resume Sample 5
- Handled all aspects of the business, including contracts with suppliers and distributors.
- Negotiated strategic alliance between supplier and distributor to yield enhanced future revenue.
- Represented company in intellectual property litigation against infringers, and thus successfully protected company’s trade secrets and copyrights.
- Provided legal advice on compliance of ISO standards for international product development teams.
- Succeeded in obtaining $3 million award for manufacturer after six years of hard-fought litigation.
General Counsel Resume Sample 6
- Reviewed and prepared bills of material, purchase orders, and invoices for the preparation of cost analysis reports relating to expenditures made on company equipment.
- Negotiated international leases on behalf of a major industrial corporation, saving hundreds of thousands in interest penalties through expert management of time deadlines.
- Acted as legal liaison between subsidiaries located in North America and Europe.
- Advised management on issues related to market expansion into Asia; recognized for outstanding achievement by the CEO.
- Authored proposed agreement between two federal agencies regulating future acquisition and sales of government property. Assisted lead negotiator’s strategy planning while ensuring compliance with specified guidelines.
General Counsel Resume Sample 7
- Negotiated leasing agreements and options with local property owners.
- Formed limited liability corporations for three of the company’s subsidiaries in order to conduct business in Texas, Florida, and Oregon.
- Transacted $21 million in real estate acquisitions via $15 million line of credit.
- Drafted partnership agreements, employment contracts, non-disclosure agreements, and formalized the process by which intellectual property is protected and exploited.
- Navigated complex transactions through multiple states such as mergers, fund formations, recapitalizations, securitizations, restructurings, asset purchases/sales due diligence investigations, regulatory filings/consulting engagements for numerous subprime lenders, and consumer lenders.
General Counsel Resume Sample 8
- Drafted and negotiated multi-million dollar contract for sale of Mexican subsidiary for $35 million.
- Instructed 33 employees on legal compliance issues, including sexual harassment, drug testing, and employment law.
- Negotiated all tax incentives with the City Council to retain company headquarters in a depressed economy and was responsible for retaining 200 jobs.
- Collaborated with management team to develop strategic plan for expansion into global market; planned travel itineraries and organized international conferences to facilitate strategy implementation.
- Implemented 12 new business contracts between UK-based company and overseas clients worth £120 million.
General Counsel Resume Sample 9
- Represented a high net-worth individual in an Intellectual Property Rights matter.
- Handled the sale of a multi-million dollar company through contract review and negotiations.
- Oversaw all phases of litigation for a Fortune 500 automotive manufacturing corporation spanning over six years.
- Provided accurate advice on real estate contracts, leases, and liability issues, including preparation of title opinions and escrow disbursement documents.
- Negotiated numerous multi-million/multi-billion dollar agreements with various state agencies to expand production capacity into multiple new markets.
General Counsel Resume Sample 10
- An Associate General Counsel at a leading U. S. law firm with extensive experience in commercial litigation, intellectual property rights, and information technology.
- Authored the Intellectual Property section of an international legal handbook published by Oxford University Press.
- Negotiated over $85 million of sponsored research agreements between private companies and public universities.
- Drafted the standard agreement for an online legal publishing venture, which was approved by all parties after negotiations.
- Reviewed terms of approximately 150 software licensing agreements and recommended revisions to contract language that resolved customer concerns.
General Counsel Resume Sample 11
- Managed, in coordination with outside counsel, the defense in a $30 million dollar product liability lawsuit involving allegations of patent infringement and breach of warranty.
- Admitted to The Supreme Court of New York; selected for inclusion on the Super Lawyers Roster by NY Law Journal, 2006 – present.
- Represents a multinational public company as Lead Counsel during high-profile merger negotiations with a publicly traded rival company valued at over one billion dollars.
- Negotiated an agreement providing resolution of all outstanding disputes between Company & Union amicably without the necessity of litigation.
- Expedited through internal appeals process within 90 days after receiving notification from NYC Mayor’s Office of Administrative Trials and Hearings (OATH).
To become a General Counsel, you need a Juris Doctoral degree, in addition to state bar licensure. A General Counsel must have excellent negotiating skills, must have excellent leadership skills, must have excellent communication skills, must have excellent interpersonal skills, must be analytical, must keep current with legal trends and laws, and must be detail-oriented.
Resumes are a crucial aspect of any job search. In order to make a good first impression, it is important that your resume be formatted and written professionally. To create the perfect resume, think about what skills and qualities you want your future employer to see.
Hope these samples gave you an idea of what your resume should look like and some tips on how to make sure that your resume stands out from the rest.
- The Best General Counsel Resume Samples
- General Counsel Resume Sample 1
- General Counsel Resume Sample 2
- General Counsel Resume Sample 3
- General Counsel Resume Sample 4
- General Counsel Resume Sample 5
- General Counsel Resume Sample 6
- General Counsel Resume Sample 7
- General Counsel Resume Sample 8
- General Counsel Resume Sample 9
- General Counsel Resume Sample 10
- General Counsel Resume Sample 11
- Wrap Up