A commercial underwriter writes non-residential real estate insurance policies. A commercial underwriter’s responsibilities include analyze insurance documents, determine risks, deciding whether or not to provide insurance, write insurance policies, negotiating prices, and assessing loss control.
For many, writing a resume can be daunting. If you are working on your own, it is easy to become overwhelmed with the amount of information you need to include and how best to present yourself.
The sample resumes below provide great examples of how to write an effective resume.
The Best Commercial Underwriter Resume Samples
These are some examples of accomplishments we have handpicked from real Commercial Underwriter resumes for your reference.
Commercial Underwriter Resume Sample 1
- Oversaw communication throughout the organization regarding changes in internal policies and procedures. Created a training document that detailed new directives, communicating policy updates to employees through email communication.
- Collaborated with the Director of Underwriting to increase revenue by 16% over a 6-month period by conducting meetings with production leaders to identify areas for improvement within assigned departments. Implemented strategies designated to generate new business, including improvements to existing processes designed around communication during underwriting procedures.
- Conducted weekly coverage reviews with assigned team members as required by the company’s compliance department; reviewed and recorded feedback on workflow efficiency and accuracy of customer applications submitted via phone or mail for processing. Communicated results of review process to regional managers for final approval.
- Processed applications from potential customers by collecting and reviewing information on credit, employment history, income levels, savings/checking account balances, outstanding debt obligations, and payment references for a client base of over 20,000 clients. Worked closely with the underwriting team to determine coverage eligibility based on current guidelines.
- Coordinated coverage for business owners in the food service industry, including restaurants, grocery stores, and caterers. Initiated communication with clients in a timely manner in order to provide them with a complete assessment of their financial standing and determined whether or not they were eligible for coverage based on the company’s underwriting guidelines.
Commercial Underwriter Resume Sample 2
- Analyzed and evaluated new business for finance status, credit worthiness, and market position.
- Created and monitored financial backup parameters to support underwriting decisions. Ensured adherence to department guidelines by verifying compliance with company requirements and regulations. Implemented procedures to ensure the collection of accurate information from third-party sources in a timely manner. Updated files with any relevant changes.
- Upheld regulatory standards by reviewing policies pertaining to customer identification, anti-money laundering programs, Office of Foreign Assets Control, economic sanctions program compliance, beneficial ownership, transaction monitoring system reviews or reporting requirements, servicing practices including default management requirements, payment processing compliance requirements (including ACH/wire wire transfer activity reporting requirements, accuracy and completeness standards, and consumer compliance standards), depositary activities, and wire transfer activity reporting.
- Investigated customer complaints by collecting and analyzing relevant information; identifying problems or situations that may impact the business relationship; initiating action through formal communication with senior management.
- Resolved operational issues in a timely manner by coordinating problems and concerns to IT for resolution; following up on resolutions. Worked closely with IT team members in order to identify risk factors in processes. Identified technical solutions to problems by communicating with IT team members.
Commercial Underwriter Resume Sample 3
- Analyzed complex financial transactions and assigned appropriate risk ratings in accordance with department guidelines. Used software to evaluate the risk profiles of high-value investment proposals according to investment guidelines, in order to determine whether or not they merited further analysis.
- Ensured that all new accounts were rated accurately by reviewing documentation for completeness, verifying that all forms had been completed correctly, and speaking with various company representatives regarding discrepancies.
- Assisted clients in creating business plans by providing guidance on requirements, documents needed, timelines, processes required, resources available at Company X versus resources required through vendor relationships or third party service providers. Provided input on strategic direction.
- Created targeted outreach lists for client account managers by monitoring trends in key markets and shared insights with account managers regarding new initiatives.
- Closed new business by working with relevant teams to gather required information, ensuring that all required documentation was submitted.
Commercial Underwriter Resume Sample 4
- Identified and communicated risks to customers, determining whether or not insurance was the best option for each customer based on their personal financial situation.
- Negotiated with clients of a Fortune 500 company to provide unique products that met needs of individual customers.
- Performed audits on commercial lines claims files, identifying discrepancies between recorded data and field data collected during an investigation. Created a list of all open investigations to share with auditors as well as a detailed report of investigations closed in the previous quarter.
- Assessed financial health of clients by verifying information from bank statements, tax returns, corporate credit reports, and other publicly-available documents against potential policy contract terms. Prepared daily spreadsheet summaries detailing customer financial information for use by managers and agents.
- Redesigned insurance products for a Fortune 500 company, introducing engineering changes to policies that caused them to be more competitive in the marketplace.
Commercial Underwriter Resume Sample 5
- Analyzed information from financial statement to produce a composite credit score, producing a 70% reduction in default rate among loans within my portfolio.
- Oversaw the entire lending process by meeting with clients and ensuring compliance with company procedures. Prepared loan documentation packages for review and approval by management staff.
- Evaluated risk of proposed transactions through accurate assessment, research, and application of standardized underwriting tools. Prepared reports that included recommendations on potential transactions based on findings from reports and analyses completed. Maintained relationships with customers via frequent communication regarding status updates.
- Facilitated customer satisfaction by providing information about products & services, scheduling meetings & conference calls, participating in new business presentations, and building relationships.
- Collaborated with a team to implement a new lending program resulting in a 25% increase in customer satisfaction.
Commercial Underwriter Resume Sample 6
- Drafted and processed new business applications for commercial insurance accounts. Assessed account eligibility, determining coverage amounts and premium rates. Identified client needs via telephone calls with prospective customers to establish client base.
- Increased sales by 20% within three months, providing opportunities for cross-selling of additional products or recommendations on how clients could increase their current policies. Monitored large accounts, identifying areas where account holders were struggling financially so that appropriate actions could be taken to prevent delinquency.
- Revised existing policies as needed due to economic changes or changes in company guidelines; prepared proposals explaining changes made to existing policyholders via written correspondence or phone conversations. Acted as a liaison between clients and underwriters, ensuring questions from both parties were answered in a timely manner.
- Reviewed client requests for additional coverage and determined whether the requests could be approved under current guidelines. Determined which clients would be offered new policies based on credit score, outstanding balances, and other financial information that had been gathered during the sales process.
- Prepared daily reports discussing account activity and potential risks; presented reports to management/owners of accounts so they could make decisions regarding approval of any requested changes or policy termination. Collaborated with management team to create policies within assigned territories.
To become a commercial underwriter, a bachelor’s degree in risk management or a related field is typically required. A commercial underwriter must be analytical, must keep current with marketing trends, must be knowledgeable about real estate, must have excellent communication skills, must have excellent interpersonal skills, must have excellent organizational skills, and must have excellent time management skills.
Resumes are a crucial aspect of any job search. In order to make a good first impression, it is important that your resume be formatted and written professionally. To create the perfect resume, think about what skills and qualities you want your future employer to see.
Hope these samples gave you an idea of what your resume should look like and some tips on how to make sure that your resume stands out from the rest.