Cars are a crucial part of most people’s lives, and when they break down or need repairs, or even just a little scheduled maintenance, it can be a very scary time for the owners as they bring it in to the shop. An auto service advisor works to make things a little easier by greeting customers and explaining things for them to understand.
How to Become a Successful Auto Service Advisor?
There are no specific educational requirements for this job, but any kind of official or even informal training with automobiles will assist you greatly and make you more desirable to employers. If you are able to find an apprenticeship with an experienced mechanic that will likely be an excellent first start.
Upon being hired you will usually work at a front desk and be the first person a customer sees when they enter. You will schedule them for future appointments or check them in for those planned previously, and you will also process payments, take insurance and process it, and make payment plans.
The average vehicle owner is incapable of truly understanding the complexities of car repair without training, so you will be acting as a liason between them and the mechanics by explaining what is being done to their automobile or what is wrong with it so they can understand why they are being charged.
A customer who is able to understand things more clearly due to your explanation will be far more likely to return in the future as they will believe you truly care about their satisfaction. This will require you to be considerate and understanding of the fact that others may not understand what you do about the field.
The Best Auto Service Advisor Resume Samples
These are some examples of job descriptions we have handpicked from real Service Advisor resumes for your reference.
- My role as Service Advisor involved greeting clients bringing their vehicle in for service, writing up their repair ticket, following up with them about their vehicle throughout the day and finally, delivering their repaired vehicle.
- Monthly sales goals were $35,000 in customer paid labor along with returns of 30 customer surveys, maintaining a score of 95% or higher.
- I regarded building and maintaining outstanding client connections as integral to achieving those target goals.
- Manage employees and all vehicles that are on-site making sure that work is performed in a timely manner.
- Answer all phone calls that come in and use customer service skills in order to get a customer to come into the shop.
- I also personally deal with the customer to create a good relationship with them in order to ensure customers comfort-ability and earn their trust to create a life-long customer and know that what I sell or tell them is trustworthy, I personally show customers their vehicle so they know what it is that is wrong and not just hearing me say it, but so they can see it for themselves as well.
- Provided elevated customer service to generate loyal clientele, communicated with vendors regarding back order availability, future inventory, special orders, developed a reputation as an efficient advisor, dedicated to improving sales abilities and product knowledge, and provided excellent customer service.
- Warehouse/stocking, inventory control, CNC machine op., welding, heavy equipment operator, shipping/receiving, operate forklift.
- Negotiating, scheduling, disciplinary actions, budget control, decision making, hiring/firing.
- Inbound and outbound calls, information clerk, cash sales, dispatch/reservations, and telemarketing.
- Greet and develop a rapport with all customers in a prompt and friendly manner.
- Effectively interact with customers regarding sells repairs and recommendations.
- Communicate regularly with technicians and parts associates to guarantee completion of work in a timely manner.
- Setting, confirming & preparing for appointments to expedite the experience for the customer.
- Listen to customers issues and/or needs and diagnose what the vehicle needs.
- Creating repair orders with cost & time estimates then walking the customer through it.
- Lead service advisor on the drive with new associate training responsibilities.
- Training included but not limited to business systems, process and procedure, warranty verification, pre-delivery inspection and client assessment.
- Responsible for providing the highest level of customer service to create customer loyalty while upholding standards and values set forth by management.
- Responsibilities included greeting, advising, and following up with customers on repair and service of vehicle; handled all customer concerns regarding their vehicles; served as liaison between customer and service technician; coordinated and managed time to ensure timely service of vehicles; maintained current knowledge of products, recalls and repair procedures for vehicles.
- Worked with insurance companies and extended warranty companies.
- Telephone and heavy computer usage was included in the responsibilities of this position.
- Obtaining customer and vehicle information Clearly reporting all vehicle symptoms as described by the customer.
- Keep track of vehicle repair orders with pending approval, special order parts.
- Follow up with Technicians, Parts Department on pending vehicle repair orders.
- Update repair orders in the back office system to reflect charge backs, warranty work, and other changes.
- Ascertained automotive problems and services by listening to customer’s description of symptoms; clarified description of problems; conducted inspections and test drives; checked and examined vehicle maintenance and service records.
- Verified warranty / service contract coverage by examining records and papers; explaining provisions and exclusions.
- Prepared repair orders (RO) by describing symptoms, problems, and causes discovered, as well as repairs and services required; obtaining approval signatures; entering RO into service database system.
- Communicated with customers regarding vehicle issues and potential solutions for repairs.
- Created the repair orders, obtained labor hours along with ordering accurate parts needed for repairs.
- Recommended additional maintenance or services based on customer needs.
- Contributed to repeat and referral business by using strong customer service and problem solving skills.
- Recommended and helped customers select merchandise based on their needs.
- Served as liaison between customers, store personnel and various store departments.
- Confirmed that appropriate changes were made to resolve customers’ problems.
- Informed customers about sales and promotions in a friendly and engaging manner.
- Managed wide variety of customer service and administrative tasks to resolve customer issues quickly and efficiently.
- Received in Vehicles, dealing with customers and walking through their repair needs.
- Reviewed all invoicing for correct parts and labor billed and invoiced customers for payment.
- Handled customers in the event of disagreements on repairs and issues they may have.
- Constant communication with customer on estimates, updates, and completion dates.